Envelope Filters or phasers w/external expression pedal control

petejt

• Members

Skip the pigtronix. That thing sucked big time. It just sounded weak, especially the envelopes. The EHX polyphase is WAY better. I'm surprised more people don't have the polyphase. It has some super cool features - square wave LFO, independent control of the top and bottom point of the phase sweep (lets you get phasing of just the bass, just the treble, or anywhere in between) as well as a good envelope mode.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Morley tel-ray pro phaser. The HUGE 70's chrome one. Totally killer, amazing sound. I think it was an 8 stage phaser. Two footswitches - one turns it off and on, and the other switches between treadle controlled phase sweep and LFO-controlled. When it's in LFO mode, the treadle controls the rate.

The Moreley put all the other ones to shame. Super cool design, it's an optically controlled exp. pedal so no pot to get dirty and scratchy. Seriously one of the best built, if not THE best built pedal I've ever owned. Wish I still had it. They can be had for $150 all the time. They also made a version where it's a volume pedal when the phaser is off.

Those Morley's do look really cool. I'd love to try the Echo Chorus Vibrato treadle as well. Great, now you've got me GASsing for them :facepalm:

The Stereo Polyphase has grown on me. I didn't like it at first, but the more I play with it, the better it gets. I just have too damn many phasers.

• Members

Skip the pigtronix. That thing sucked big time. It just sounded weak, especially the envelopes. The EHX polyphase is WAY better. I'm surprised more people don't have the polyphase. It has some super cool features - square wave LFO, independent control of the top and bottom point of the phase sweep (lets you get phasing of just the bass, just the treble, or anywhere in between) as well as a good envelope mode.

YouTube's bad audio compression aside- the online video demos of the Polyphase didn't sound that good to me. The tone of the phase effect sounded too thin and hollow, it wasn't that warm rich warble:

The video clip below has a really nice phasing sound, VERY warm and rich, and mind you the original audio of the clip would not have been that good (taped from TV broadcast onto VHS->kept for 20 years->digitally converted->uploaded to YouTube with it's crap compression).

[YOUTUBE]qq6ZWJ19L6g[/YOUTUBE]

I heard nothing like that from the Polyphase demonstrations.

• Members

Does the FC-300 have CV outs for the exp pedals or are you using a MIDI/CV converter?

It has dedicated expression pedal connections on the back.

I've just got the FC-300 to change patches on my Switchblade, which has a bunch of pedals in loops. It has two in-built footcontrollers, one of which I want to use to externally control a phaser/envelope filter. I hope that will work, as I want it to be independent of the MIDI stuff.

• Members

I was on a quest for a foot controlled phaser a while back.

I tried:

EH polyphase reissue

Moog phaser

Pigtronix

And a bunch of others that didn't actually have foot control.

Guess what won ----> Morley tel-ray pro phaser. The HUGE 70's chrome one. Totally killer, amazing sound. I think it was an 8 stage phaser. Two footswitches - one turns it off and on, and the other switches between treadle controlled phase sweep and LFO-controlled. When it's in LFO mode, the treadle controls the rate.

The Moreley put all the other ones to shame. Super cool design, it's an optically controlled exp. pedal so no pot to get dirty and scratchy. Seriously one of the best built, if not THE best built pedal I've ever owned. Wish I still had it. They can be had for $150 all the time. They also made a version where it's a volume pedal when the phaser is off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230404650458&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Second place was the polyphase. The moog and pigtronix were both pretty meh, especially the pigtronix. The polyphaser actually does more than the Morley, quite a few more features and a lot of flexibility. Highly underrated pedal. However, in terms of pure tone on the phasing, the Morley had it.

Here's a shot of the guts:

IMG_4963.jpg

Cool, thanks man. I see it comes with its own footcontroller. If I didn't have the FC-300 then this could be the ticket, although then of course I'd be considering the Foxx Phaser & MXR Variphase.

A big part of the reason is so I can use the footcontroller in my FC-300. I want to get as much out of it as I can, since I hate having things and only using part of it. It's like having a cleaver to only cut meat, when it can be used to cut vegetables and fruit as well. Even leftover pizza.

• Members

I am a phaser addict, I have a mutron, a boss ph1, prophecy sound infinitphase. This thread just gave me major gas for the pigtronix unit. I have had the moog I could never find a setting that I was completely satisfied with so i was always spending more time adjusting the nobs than playing. I cant wait to get the pigtronix it looks really fun.

Let me know when you get it. Hopefully it is as good as the clips I've heard of it.

I was hoping that the EHx Stereo Polyphase would be good, but the demos I heard left me unimpressed.

• Members

It has dedicated expression pedal connections on the back.

i think you'll find those are inputs to add more pedals (not outputs for the built in pedals). you won't be able to control an analog device like a phaser with those pedals, because they only output midi cc messages. you'll need an analog expression pedal to connect to whichever phaser you buy

sim

• Members

i think you'll find those are inputs to add more pedals (not outputs for the built in pedals). you won't be able to control an analog device like a phaser with those pedals, because they only output midi cc messages. you'll need an analog expression pedal to connect to whichever phaser you buy

sim

Well that sucks :( .

• Members

Well then, are there any analogue phaser/envelope filter pedals out there that can be controlled by MIDI CC messages?

This is really frustrating! :mad: I feel like I've got an extra leg that just hangs there and doesn't do anything but get in the way with this extra footcontroller pedal... :idk:

• Members

the electrix filter factory comes to mind -

w_electric_filfac.1_a.jpg

Cool, thanks Sim. :)

I see that the Filter Factory is a rack unit. Ideally I'd hope that this would be a pedal, but this ain't a bad thing. At the moment I don't have anything in the effects loop of my MarkIV, and it'd be nice to put something in there for interesting sounds.. :idea:

Although I'll still need a phaser for the floor. Still not sure what though..

• Members

Well that sucks
:(

You'll need a Moog MP201 to accomplish this-- it has for 4 channels/4CV outs and a MIDI out, 4footswitches and a treadle, 100 preset banks, and you can send MIDI and/or CV over each of the 4 channels. So for instance in one preset you could have 3 footswitches for different Switchblade patches and then the 4th footswitch to activate the Phaser patch and have the treadle ready. Each CV out can send Expression, LFO's, Gate, and an editable HADSR loop via MIDI and/or CV.

• Members

I'm thinking of the Worm too now. How does it hold up in the phasing department?

The phasing is voiced to my taste - very early 70s univibish; but it isn't very tweakable really. You can tweak the rate and the top end of the range, and that's about it. Same with the other modes. If that's your bag, like it is mine, then the Worm is an awesome choice. Also, the expression control only affects the width knob, not the rate.

If you need more tweakable parameters, you'll want to look elsewhere.

• Members

YouTube's bad audio compression aside- the online video demos of the Polyphase didn't sound that good to me. The tone of the phase effect sounded too thin and hollow, it wasn't that warm rich warble:

To heck with those videos, I'm telling you from my own experience that the polyphase is great. There's a guy who works exclusively on Mu-Tron stuff (I forget his name, but you can look up his site), so he's had a million phasor II's and Bi-phases pass through his hands. The one modern phaser he likes is the polyphase. Don't judge it on youtube videos from some schmo, go try it yourself.

• Members

To heck with those videos, I'm telling you from my own experience that the polyphase is great. There's a guy who works exclusively on Mu-Tron stuff (I forget his name, but you can look up his site), so he's had a million phasor II's and Bi-phases pass through his hands. The one modern phaser he likes is the polyphase. Don't judge it on youtube videos from some schmo, go try it yourself.

Mike Beigel - he designed the Mutron III, the Bi-Phase, the Q-trons, the Bi-Filter, the Riddle, the Enigma, and the Stereo Polyphase. The guy is legendary.

• Members

That's disappointing to hear. It looks soooo freaking cool with that big cage on the front end of the treadle - retro-futura. If I found one for cheap, it'd be hard to resist. How is the PFL flanger?

edit: I was thinking of the EVO1. I'd like to try both, though just for the fun of it.

I'd say the delay one would be worth a shot if you can find one under $150. I haven't tried the flanger, but I bet it's great. Bear in mind that these are without a doubt the most gigantic, heaviest pedals ever made and run on AC. Think 2 1/2 times as big as a dunlop wah.

• Members

Be careful! I ripped on a pigtronix effect (echolution) and howard davis came in here and e-bitch slapped me!

• Members

Hehe, I know what you mean. ;) It's just that I expect at least a somewhat decent sound from video demonstrations. I'd prefer to try them all out but the range of Electro Harmonix products available in Australia is rather limited unfortunately. They usually have just some Big Muff pedals, Q-Tron, some of the compressors, and the poweramp valves. I had to buy my POG & Electric Mistress online.

I'd really like to try out a Polyphase, yet I don't really need stereo in my pedalboard. I've removed one stereo pedal to use directly into my Roland Jazz Chorus so I can split to both channels, just so I can use both outputs of the pedal. I've "stacked" the delay of my Boss DD20 by connecting the A channel output to the B channel input, just so I can use all the sockets. I will be running a second pedal in parallel by running the dry output of my H2O into its input. You see, I hate not using all the features of my gear, it is very frustrating. I would get bothered by not using the stereo output of a Polyphase, unless I can loop it into itself somehow...

Archived