Envelope Filters or phasers w/external expression pedal control

petejt

• Members
The phasing is voiced to
my
taste - very early 70s univibish; but it isn't very tweakable really. You can tweak the rate and the top end of the range, and that's about it. Same with the other modes. If that's your bag, like it is mine, then the Worm is an awesome choice. Also, the expression control only affects the width knob, not the rate.

If you need more tweakable parameters, you'll want to look elsewhere.

That sounds great mate :thu: . Since I'm not too fussy about phasers, apart from them sounding warm and lush (like the Famous Five clip I posted, I guess the Worm might suit me well. Plus too it has the vibrato and tremolo in it, and a mod-wah-wah kind of thing which would cover the envelope filtering somewhat. I saw the demo by Peter Shroud and really liked that you can also use it as a type of EQ filter to get different guitar tones by turning one of the knobs with the Manual switch on :) .

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'd really like to try out a Polyphase, yet I don't really need stereo in my pedalboard...I
hate
not using all the features of my gear, it is very frustrating. I would get bothered by not using the stereo output of a Polyphase, unless I can loop it into itself somehow...

The stereo panning is okay, but not the strength of the pedal. You wouldn't be missing much by not using it. The real strength of it is in the start and stop knobs. That alone makes the pedal worth trying. :cool:

But I'm not sure if the expression pedal features are what you are looking for. The expression jack has no control over LFO rate, if that is what you are wanting.

• Members

But I'm not sure if the expression pedal features are what you are looking for. The expression jack has no control over LFO rate, if that is what you are wanting.

Ideally I would like external control on the LFO rate, but now that I know that my expression pedal is a MIDI one, I am dropping that part of the idea.

• Members

Cool. If I find one I will definitely try it. I don't allow YouTube clips to govern my decisions, but they do have a bearing on first impressions...

Ideally I would like external control on the LFO rate, but now that I know that my expression pedal is a MIDI one, I am dropping that part of the idea.

An MP201 is the same price as the Roland right now because they're on sale during the holdays, if you're buying new, and its smaller-- the mp201 has 4 channels/footswitches and a treadle that can be used for each channel; each channel has a CV out and can send CV or MIDI, so 4 expression pedals in 1, and you can use it to change patches on the Switchblade, and follow Pgm/preset changes with the Switchblade so you can have analog presets on your pedals with exp inputs as well. There are 100 presets(so 100 sets of 4 basically), and an LFO section with taptempo, so you can tempo all your modulation on effects that have exp inputs- with a phaser with an input you could set it up with the modulation by lfo of choice and have the exp pedal control the rate, or depth, etc.. You'd definitely be using every physical function. :cool:

• Members
An MP201 is the same price as the Roland right now because they're on sale during the holdays, if you're buying new, and its smaller-- the mp201 has 4 channels/footswitches and a treadle that can be used for each channel; each channel has a CV out and can send CV or MIDI, so 4 expression pedals in 1, and you can use it to change patches on the Switchblade, and follow Pgm/preset changes with the Switchblade so you can have analog presets on your pedals with exp inputs as well. There are 100 presets(so 100 sets of 4 basically), and an LFO section with taptempo, so you can tempo all your modulation on effects that have exp inputs- with a phaser with an input you could set it up with the modulation by lfo of choice and have the exp pedal control the rate, or depth, etc.. You'd definitely be using every physical function.
:cool:

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

But I have my Roland FC-300 now, I want to use it. I'm going to seek out a Polyphase and the Worm to try out, and if I really like one of them, I'll buy it. I guess I can keep one of the FC-300's footpedals for the future if I decide to get an effects rack, while using the other for volume swells.

• Members

Ah I see, when you said you were "dropping that part of the idea" I thought you meant the FC-300 altogether. Which pedal are you using it with for the volume swells?

The FC-300 has two in-built expression pedals. I will use one of them to send midi CC messages to my Switchblade, which has the ability to control the gain of the guitar's signal passing through it, thus effectively becomes a volume control.

Archived