petejt

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://martoneaudio.com/home.htm

This guy can build anything you can think up, and he'll do it well
:thu:

His MS-20 clones do not have a true bandpass unfortunately... but for this application, its probably perfect-- the bandpass mode is actually a resonant parametric- just an allpass with a single resonant cutoff that sounds like a phasery-filter.. I just inquired about this recently and was told that (after hearing it with my own ears...).. I guess thats why its called a 'Photron Phaser Filter'. The Brain Freeze is smaller and cheaper, and is the filter circuit + cv or exp input, just doesn't have the LFO or envelope section. His, and others Meatball clones have control inputs as well. (i just sold my Grinder-- excellent filter with exp input). I currently use the Moog Phaser for phasing-

The MXR Variphase looks cool.. but the treadle controls the rate of the LFO, not the manual sweep, unfortunately.

• Members

The reason I ask, is that I've just got a Roland FC-300 MIDI footcontroller. It has two expression pedals, one of which I will use as a volume pedal, and the other I hope to use with a phaser-cross-envelope filter....

Does the FC-300 have CV outs for the exp pedals or are you using a MIDI/CV converter?

• Members

I was on a quest for a foot controlled phaser a while back.

I tried:

EH polyphase reissue

Moog phaser

Pigtronix

And a bunch of others that didn't actually have foot control.

Guess what won ----> Morley tel-ray pro phaser. The HUGE 70's chrome one. Totally killer, amazing sound. I think it was an 8 stage phaser. Two footswitches - one turns it off and on, and the other switches between treadle controlled phase sweep and LFO-controlled. When it's in LFO mode, the treadle controls the rate.

The Moreley put all the other ones to shame. Super cool design, it's an optically controlled exp. pedal so no pot to get dirty and scratchy. Seriously one of the best built, if not THE best built pedal I've ever owned. Wish I still had it. They can be had for $150 all the time. They also made a version where it's a volume pedal when the phaser is off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230404650458&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Second place was the polyphase. The moog and pigtronix were both pretty meh, especially the pigtronix. The polyphaser actually does more than the Morley, quite a few more features and a lot of flexibility. Highly underrated pedal. However, in terms of pure tone on the phasing, the Morley had it.

Here's a shot of the guts:

IMG_4963.jpg

• Members

I am a phaser addict, I have a mutron, a boss ph1, prophecy sound infinitphase. This thread just gave me major gas for the pigtronix unit. I have had the moog I could never find a setting that I was completely satisfied with so i was always spending more time adjusting the nobs than playing. I cant wait to get the pigtronix it looks really fun.

Archived