ac4, but a 6v6 version?

hangwire

Just a 10" or 12" speaker 6v6 tube amp in production is what I am looking for...

i like headroom

the new champ would probably be cool with a larger speaker

the XD is all tube???? that seems hard to believe... i'll have to test it again...

edit:

never,mind XD is 8" speaker

so yeah, no current production options?

Sheesh! :D

530262.jpg

15W, 10" speaker, One 12AX7 and two 6V6 (I'm guessing Class AB here... ;) ) and a "street" price of $299 - the price is not that unreasonable when compared to the head / cab version of the AC4; which goes for about $270 "street" for the pair. :idk:

I actually really liked the way the Vox sounded - especially the head and cab, but I already have an AC15cc with a Weber Blue Dog in it, so I don't really "need" one. Besides, the Vox that is most tempting to me at the moment is the Night Train. I could see myself eventually getting one of those if the right deal landed in my lap - they sound great, and it would make a great stereo recording partner for the AC15 for when I wanted an all Vox / stereo rig happening.

For those of you with the AC4 head / cab, how much room is there inside of the V112TV cabinet? Is there easy (via screws) access into the cab, and if so, how much space is there "behind" the speaker? I'm wondering if there's enough room for an AlNiCo speaker's bell in there... if I do get a Night Train, that would be the sweet speaker rig for it IMO - V112TV with a Blue Dog in it. :)

Sorry to derail the thread into Vox discussion... :D

OK, back to 6V6 tube amps... going up a bit yet again on the price scale, you have this...

ValveSr-large.jpg

Valve Senior. 18W, Class A/B, two 6V6GT power tubes, four 12AX7A preamp tubes, 12" speaker, about $360 "street".

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd like something current production to have an easier shot are finding it local...

They made approximately 18 bajillion of them back in the '60s - you can find them everywhere if you just go looking in the right places. Under $200 too.

• Members

They made approximately 18 bajillion of them back in the '60s - you can find them everywhere if you just go looking in the right places. Under $200 too.

would you have to recut the front, or could you just mount a 10" over the smaller opening?

also, what is a deluxe reverb class A or AB?

• Members

The Mesa Blue Angel has 6V6's and EL84's. Use either or both combined. Great amp.

Progressive Linkage power section allows you to switch between or combine 2x6V6 & 4xEL84 for 15, 33, or 38 Watts, of Pure Class A Power / 5x12AX7, 1x5AR4.

The Mesa Blue Angel has 6V6's and EL84's. Use either or both combined. Great amp.

Progressive Linkage power section allows you to switch between or combine 2x6V6 & 4xEL84 for 15, 33, or 38 Watts, of Pure Class A Power / 5x12AX7, 1x5AR4.

Way more than an AC4's price bracket though. :(

Speaking of 1481's, there's a nice clean one on Ebay right now for $225 BIN / OBO. Not mine, but it looks pretty sweet...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960-s-DanElectro-made-Sears-Silvertone-model-1481_W0QQitemZ260517823694QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca81284ce

I'm not calling dibs - the OP could do a lot worse than something like this + a speaker swap. Happy bidding. :wave:

• Members
Way more than an AC4's price bracket though.
:(

Speaking of 1481's, there's a nice clean one on Ebay right now for $225 BIN / OBO. Not mine, but it looks pretty sweet...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960-s-DanElectro-made-Sears-Silvertone-model-1481_W0QQitemZ260517823694QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca81284ce

I'm not calling dibs - the OP could do a lot worse than something like this + a speaker swap. Happy bidding.
:wave:

anyone tried that weber [i think] 8" speaker that is "voiced" like a 10" or 12" speaker?

i submitted an offer

• Members

8" speaker that is "voiced" like a 10" or 12" speaker?

i submitted an offer

I have a Weber ceramic Sig 8 in my VibroChamp - it doesn't sound much like a 10" and certainly not a 12".

You could put an effcient 8" in there and open it up some more. The 1481 is the biggest sounding single 6V6 amp I've come across even with the stock Jensen.

what is a deluxe reverb class A or AB?

~22W, Class AB, two 6V6, 12" speaker, around $1,000 "street".

Or, one of my big personal favorite amps -

553810.jpg

Class AB, 12W (the reissues are calling it 15W), 10" speaker, two 6V6, tube rectifier, around $900 "street".

I'm a big fan of Princetons. :phil:

SANY0341.jpg

• Members

I was just asking as I like the deluxe reverb tube tone, so I guess I am the dumb class AB fan... tighter bass, better headroom, less amp wear/eventual costs :idk:

if my offer on the silvertone is rejected, i'll check out the super champ xd at a shop tomorrow...

• Members

I dig mine alot... great break up. it can sound a little thin sometimes though and the tone can be meh at certain settings but i really dig it for my dorm amp. Cleans are pretty decent as well... i like this amp alot. would i buy another one if it got stolen? idk.. i would probaly try a sf champ or one the silvertone suggestion that erksin made. overall its a good ass amp for the price and stuff but its not for everyone.

• Members

pretty acurate for the most part. he really utulizes the best settings. sounds great with teles!

as for pedals... it has some cleans but it doesnt have a ton of headroom so just remember that! its pretty responsive to pickups and the vol knob. at least mine is.. im usually playing my lespaul special through it

Is the AC4 (combo) a good amp?

Strengths & weaknesses?

Small / light portable, especially the combo.

Available as a combo (10") or mini stack (12").

All tube.

Low cost.

Cool classic retro Vox cosmetics.

Wattage variable to suit - 1/4W - 4W.

Cool sounding, especially considering the price points.

Not much clean headroom.

Limited controls - V / T / Wattage switch.

• Members

All tube.

Low cost.

Not much clean headroom.

More questions:

Is it noisy?

How is it with pedals?

Any cabinet rattle or anything when cranked up?

Is the stock speaker decent? Or would you recommend replacement?

How useful are the various wattages? Do the lower modes have any merit?

• Members

All tube.

Low cost.

Not much clean headroom.

this pretty much exactly. limited tone controls are probbaly the thing i dislike hte most but youre going to find that on most amps (not all but most) in the price range/wattage

• Members

More questions:

Is it noisy?

How is it with pedals?

Any cabinet rattle or anything when cranked up?

Is the stock speaker decent? Or would you recommend replacement?

How useful are the various wattages? Do the lower modes have any merit?

mine isnt really noisy at all... stock speaker is pretty decent but i know people will reccomend upgrades. apperently the combo versions have a loose speaker issue out of the factory but a quick tighten and youll be fine. i havnt had any trouble with my cabinet, sounds great, no problems. the various wattages are pretty usefull. i dont really find myself using the 1/4 watt much but there is still some decent break up. the 1 w and 4 w are the {censored}...

• Members
I was just asking as I like the deluxe reverb tube tone, so I guess I am the dumb class AB fan... tighter bass, better headroom, less amp wear/eventual costs
:idk:

if my offer on the silvertone is rejected, i'll check out the super champ xd at a shop tomorrow...

If you're playing a DRRI, I honestly think that is one of the worst examples of really tight Fender bass and good headroom. And DRRIs eat output tubes.

Archived