Avatar Review... because in life you should never, ever judge things for yourself.

mikeoxlong

• Members

Just saw it... the special effects were incredible... first believable cgi I have ever seen in my life, 3d makes it that much better.

in terms of acting/story it was pretty good, nothing amazing

tho the irony lies in the fact that it is a movie with a "tree hugger" theme, yet it was one of the most expensive movies ever made.

i recommend seeing it, taking mushrooms prior to watching could result in a public freak out.

• Members
unobtainium

yea, you'd think over a hundred years in the future they'd be a little more creative :facepalm:

this is the first tree-hugger themed movie i wasnt pissed off leaving the theatre. the story was interesting, not stellar, but alright. visuals were phenomenal. 3D wasnt cheesy over-the-top type 3D. it was there more for more texture really than a gimmicky effect. very well-done. well worth seeing

• Members

TOO {censored}ING LONG

Should have ended at "you have to wake up" instead of the 40 minutes of deus ex machina bull{censored} leading up to the predictable sappy ending.

It's a victim of it's own hype - if I didn't know how much it had cost to make this movie, it's total averageness would've been less irritating.

• Members

TOO {censored}ING LONG

Should have ended at "you have to wake up" instead of the 40 minutes of deus ex machina bull{censored} leading up to the predictable sappy ending.

It's a victim of it's own hype - if I didn't know how much it had cost to make this movie, it's total averageness would've been less irritating.

your failing to realize that this movie was more about visual effect than anything and that thats what many people are going to see it for.

• Members

your failing to realize that this movie was more about visual effect than anything and that thats what many people are going to see it for.

The visuals were really great, but I can't help feeling that if they had enough imagination to come up with that planet in the first place they should've been able to turn in a really great movie instead of a film that's basically nothing but eye candy.

It was intermittently really fun, but it just dragged and dragged and dragged...

Someone else on another forum put it best: No one will want to watch this movie in five years, it'll just look like a demo reel for technology that'll be commonplace then.

• Members
I was really intrigued by this new race, and this new planet, and the rituals that took place on Pandora.

But I'm an anthropologist so that kind of loser stuff always intrigues me
:idk:

No, I thought this stuff was the best part of the movie. When they tried to tell a story was when they ran into problems.

• Members

story and acting wasn't terrible... come on give me a break... it's not like this movie is 2012 or something in that category (Just eye candy)

you could potentially say that star wars a new hope was predictable (jedi gets trained and takes out the death star) and it is easily one of the best sci fi movies ever made. empire strikes back is where the story really started to get good.

yes terminator and alien are better films because they are darker and have a better story line, but this is an entirely different movie and it has a strong enough story to keep the viewer interested.

perhaps it lacked a little in character development of the side characters but still was good enough imo

• Members

Meh, I found myself annoyed whenever he "woke up" from his avatar. I didn't want him to go back. Hopefully the next movie examines the Na'avi culture deeper. The story itself wasn't bad. I mean, visuals are great and all, but I wouldn't have liked this movie if it was all visuals and no characters/development/plot. This movie had excellent characters, and I enjoyed the story.

• Members

you could potentially say that star wars a new hope was predictable (jedi gets trained and takes out the death star) and it is easily one of the best sci fi movies ever made. empire strikes back is where the story really started to get good.

Exactly. At one point, everyone could say every story is predictable. Its how you tell the story, which Avatar did a good job in doing.

• Members

Sam Worthington is awesome.

Obviously I don't think he's the greatest actor around, by any means... but that guy has come literally out of NOWHERE. First, Terminator, then Avatar, then if you all noticed in the previews; Clash of the Titans :love:... and supposedly he's going to end up playing Thor.

But the cool thing is that he's actually good. He doesn't try to overdo it (like Christian Bale), but he gets the job done well.

• Members
Sam Worthington is awesome.

Obviously I don't think he's the greatest actor around, by any means... but that guy has come literally out of NOWHERE. First, Terminator, then Avatar, then if you all noticed in the previews; Clash of the Titans
:love:
... and supposedly he's going to end up playing Thor.

But the cool thing is that he's actually good.
He doesn't try to overdo it (like Christian Bale)
, but he gets the job done well.

THANK YOU, {censored}ING FINALLY THANK YOU!

• Members

Just saw it... the special effects were incredible... first believable cgi I have ever seen in my life, 3d makes it that much better.

in terms of acting/story it was pretty good, nothing amazing

tho the irony lies in the fact that it is a movie with a "tree hugger" theme, yet it was one of the most expensive movies ever made.

So... it was kind of like this:

B00003CY5D.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056662

Plus this:

ferngully-345x500.jpg

...equals profit? I mean 'Avatar'?

Archived