I've come to the conclusion that...

amarr1

• Members

As soon as I get enough money, I'm going to get a Fractal Audio Axe FX Ultra and a foot controller. The clips on youtube and from forumites are unreal, they sound beautiful. The amount of tweakability is ridiculous, and the amp models are {censored}ing insane, as well as the delay and pitch effects. I'd probably get a 1x12 w/ EVs for it, but I dunno yet, this will be a long way away...

I'm tired of pondering what OD/Distortion pedal I should get (or any other type of effect, for that matter), I just want to have all the sounds I want available at my disposal, and this looks like an easy solution. Whatever, time will tell...

As far as pedals go, I'd probably keep one dirt box, a tuner, and a looper.

Also, cool story brah. :blah::lol::thu:

• Members

You could save yourself a ton of cash and get an M9 first... just to see if the modeling world is a place you want to travel into.
:idk:

I think I'm going to do that first, I like all the features and sounds that the DL-4 and Echo Park have to offer, so I'm sure that the other _ _ -4 modelers would be something that I'm into. :thu:

• Members

A friend of mine was all over the Axe FX stuff, to the point of trying to convince me that I should do the same. He eventually went back to individual pedals.

I'm not going to get in the age-old debate of which is better. I think it's just more fun to tweak individual units.

I do like playing with pedals, but I'm tired of seeing what's best for me and all that {censored}. I just want something that will get the job done, sound great, and have millions of options.

• Members

I think I'm going to do that first, I like all the features and sounds that the DL-4 and Echo Park have to offer, so I'm sure that the other _ _ -4 modelers would be something that I'm into.
:thu:

Probably a good plan. And I'm guessing you'll like it....

• Members

You could save yourself a ton of cash and get an M9 first... just to see if the modeling world is the place for you.

I wouldn't pick an M9 to see if a high end modelling unit like the Axe FX was right for me. There's a world of difference between the M9 delays and something like the Eventide Timefactor for instance. I'd suggest the gap between the M9 and the Axe FX is even greater. Perhaps trying out demos of Guitar Rig, Revalver, Amplitube etc would be a better step.

• Members

are you looking for amp/cab models too or just effects?

both. If I just wanted effects, I'd just get the M9 or something along those lines. Which is why Crxsh's suggestion isn't the most fair, but whatever, I'd still like to try it...

• Members

As soon as I get enough money, I'm going to get
a Fractal Audio Axe FX Ultra and a foot controller.
The clips on youtube and from forumites are unreal, they sound beautiful. The amount of tweakability is ridiculous, and the amp models are {censored}ing insane, as well as the delay and pitch effects. I'd probably get a 1x12 w/ EVs for it, but I dunno yet, this will be a long way away...

I'm tired of pondering what OD/Distortion pedal I should get (or any other type of effect, for that matter), I just want to have all the sounds I want available at my disposal, and this looks like an easy solution. Whatever, time will tell...

As far as pedals go, I'd probably keep one dirt box, a tuner, and a looper.

Also, cool story brah.
:blah::lol::thu:

Larry Mitchell uses one and he is a certified badass...and he looks like a rasta version of Predator

• Members

Meh. They'd be alright if they weren't so expensive. I'd rather just download every other amp modeller I could find, and just use those with my computer at home. I'm already using the Logic 9 amp sims and they sound excellent, and watched some videos from Guitar Rig 4 last night that really impressed me.

And for live use, just get an M9 and use an actual amp. The Axe FX is awesome, but for the money I'd rather run dirt pedals and an M9 into a crunched up tube amp. Cheaper, would sound better at higher volumes, and would be much easier to tweak if I needed to change anything around. :idk:

But if you think it'll work for you, then awesome! Not to knock Axe FX at all, it's a wonderful sounding simulation with some killer effects built in. Just not for me.

• Members

Meh. They'd be alright if they weren't so expensive. I'd rather just download every other amp modeller I could find, and just use those with my computer at home. I'm already using the Logic 9 amp sims and they sound excellent, and watched some videos from Guitar Rig 4 last night that really impressed me.

And for live use, just get an M9 and use an actual amp. The Axe FX is awesome, but for the money I'd rather run dirt pedals and an M9 into a crunched up tube amp. Cheaper, would sound better at higher volumes, and would be much easier to tweak if I needed to change anything around.

But if you think it'll work for you, then awesome! Not to knock Axe FX at all, it's a wonderful sounding simulation with some killer effects built in. Just not for me.

Yeah, something like this is definitely not for everybody. The M9 + Amp solution is something I'm considering, I might like it more than a :snax: fx, though I dunno yet.

• Members

GuitarRig4 killed my gas for the AXEFX.

When I used Line6 stuff (podfarm and Podxt) the videos on YouTube of the Axe blew me away...now that I've got GR4 figured out and plugged into my Atomic they bore me. The AXEFX is lacking in the connectivity department so I'll wait until Fractal gets the AXE interface to the computer brought into this decade or finally create the AXE PC before looking that way again. For the price they charge for the Ultra it should be a quality USB audio/midi interface as well as what it is right now.

Right now my Podxt and Roland VG99 are going on ebay and, if the GR4 continues to impress me, soon to follow will be my Fender DRRI, Peavey Classic 30 and a bunch of pedals....should make enough room and raise enough cash for another guitar or two!

• Members

I wouldn't pick an M9 to see if a high end modelling unit like the Axe FX was right for me. There's a world of difference between the M9 delays and something like the Eventide Timefactor for instance. I'd suggest the gap between the M9 and the Axe FX is even greater. Perhaps trying out demos of Guitar Rig, Revalver, Amplitube etc would be a better step.

Yep.... two entirely different things, but in the same world at least. I think the M9 would be a nice entry-level step into the world of menu dives and tweaking and such and it would allow him to use his current setup in the process, while potentially saving for :snax:FX.

So, let's say he gets into it and hates it.... he's out, what? $50 on the flip maybe? No biggie.

The demo thing isn't a bad idea at all though. I'd do that too.

• Members

Yep.... two entirely different things, but in the same world at least. I think the M9 would be a nice entry-level step into the world of menu dives and tweaking and such and it would allow him to use his current setup in the process, while potentially saving for :snax:FX.

So, let's say he gets into it and hates it.... he's out, what? $50 on the flip maybe? No biggie.

The demo thing isn't a bad idea at all though. I'd do that too.

Yeah, it's definitely a desicion that's been tossed around. :)

Archived