Kurzweil 2600s

• Members

I see these posts occasionally about how terrible or "dated" the Kurzweil K2's sound. If you're someone who just wants to turn your synth on and play through the presets you probably are better off with a Motif or Fantom. If you have the time and skill to use the VAST engine to enhance a great sample library the K2s can do incredible things.

Saying a K2 sounds like "{censored}" is like saying a General Electric stove tastes like {censored}. Maybe if you're a lousy cook it does.

As far as the original post goes $1500 is a good price for a K2600, but I would want to see the Orchestra and Contemporary ROM boards in there.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok, about your PC3 demos: almost all sounds sucks so bad it's not worth even commenting. Some are so awful I actually laughed (drums). The best sound there is a string sound at about 4:30 in first demo that I'd actually rate as high as 5/10. It obviously has good effects, but not even the best effects can turn so piss poor ROM samples into anything remotely decent sounding. I checked the videos too... my opinion is the same.

And btw, after listening to your "music", I now understand why you like kurzweil. Obviously you have no idea what "music" is, or you don't even try to do it, I don't know. Either way, you obvisouly don't need musical instrument, you just need a squeaky toy to entertain yourself. And this is where I quit this discussion.

You know I read this, and at first thought wow what a jerk... Then I clicked on the link. Nevermind. Im starting to side with the bitter guy!

But I wouldn't say K2s sound like sh*t... Thats stupid considering how many of them made platinum records. Sadly previous poster is correct- if you can't make it sound good, its not the equipments fault...I don't fiddle with my nuts to them but they aren't sh*t!

• Members

well, for starters we need to hear those sounds... otherwise you're just speculating

and don't worry, if the sounds are good, i'll admit that... i have no problems admitting i was wrong when i'm wrong...
:idk:

No speculation - I know your type. The problem is that you believe that you have no problems believing that about yourself, but it would never come to pass. I take it that you're looking for nice presets or something and poor little Kurzweil is behind the times in your eyes. But it really is an immensely powerful synth, and the fact that you ridicule it so is just silly and simply shows you up as one not to be taken seriously. It's not like you're saying that the sound isn't to your taste, or that in some respects it's been overtaken by technology - but if you really think that this synth is so terrible, you're well, simply an idiot. And I mean that respectfully.

• Members

And to the OP, vanilla, mark it on the record that Lewey has a record of being the one to put down Kurzweil. Check any thread on Kurzweil in the last year, you'll see the pattern. Not saying Lewey's comments are wrong, just that it's moreso his personal preference. There's tons of Kurzweil love and yes I'm one of them. Just do the research yourself and you'll see how deep VAST is with all it's mind boggling possiblities for a rompler. Other current rompler like the Motif might sound a lot more modern, but if you can't make good music with a Kurz, then you should just follow the crowd and dump your money into the money-hungry Big 3 (Roland Yamaha Korg). Although the Big 3 rompler sound more synthetic to me than Kurz, which sounds rawer. And yes Lewey that is my opinion. I already know your opinion, which I'm glad someone disagrees. (It's good to see not everyone sounds the same using the same synths.)

No one's opinion is fact nor is anyone else's false. It's obvious who uses and who likes what. In my experience, if you're intrigued by a synth and like it's sounds, it's not right to buy an alternative. And I think we've all done that and that's what we should continue to do, not buy something you're not interested in.

• Members

I agree with what someone said earlier, comparing the K2600 to an oven. You can "cook" anything you want to in a workstation like the K2600. It's amazingly flexible, and will pretty much sound like anything you want it to, as long as you're willing to read the manual and really learn the interface and architecture.

• Members

K2600 sounds like {censored}, period (unless you're into jazz).

What?

Now you're gonna tell us what kind of music sucks too?:cool:

Brains like yours are like turds, you just flush em, and hope its not to swollen to get down the pipe. :wave:

• Members

Ok, about your PC3 demos: almost all sounds sucks so bad it's not worth even commenting. Some are so awful I actually laughed (drums). The best sound there is a string sound at about 4:30 in first demo that I'd actually rate as high as 5/10. It obviously has good effects, but not even the best effects can turn so piss poor ROM samples into anything remotely decent sounding. I checked the videos too... my opinion is the same.

And btw, after listening to your "music", I now understand why you like kurzweil. Obviously you have no idea what "music" is, or you don't even try to do it, I don't know. Either way, you obvisouly don't need musical instrument, you just need a squeaky toy to entertain yourself. And this is where I quit this discussion.

Ok, thats it, you cant maintain a discussion without being a furious child. The most funny thing is that instead of talking about the sounds, you centre your opinion in my music (argumentum ad hominem again).

You are not a big genious to talk in that way IMO

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=28135571#post28135571

But I wont talk about your music, because I have respect for other musicians, I will talk about how you sounds with your machines. i think your sound is not the best thing I have found in internet (I would like to hear a clean mp3 BTW). It sounds too dark in my opinion. It doesnt sound bad (the edition is nice), but i still maintaining my posture.

pd: these are just demos of the sound.

pd2: tetris cover is not my music, it belongs to a very good russian folk composer of the past, as the major part of the music of tetris.

pd3: I dont know why do you say I dont know anything about music, do you say this because i dont compose commercial or danzable music?. I would like a real critic of whats wrong with the music there and how would you improve it. i know this is not the best thing in the market, but i would accept that comment without question from somebody like Vangelis, or Jerry Goldsmith, or somebody i considere really good and better than me as composer (not neccesarily those famous guys, but it is easy to gety the point).

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Depending on the music your playing/writing the 2600 is awesome.

Top tech in NYC told me every Broadway show has two of them, unfortunately although they sound the best , you need a backup in case one crashes.

If you need a realistic deep organic sounds its worth the possible problems

if not keep your life uncomplicated and go with somethingelse...

• Members

Ok up until this post I was on the Kurzweil side but this post is not just silly, its ignorant! You may want to try some other synths out...

You can like the Kurz but lets stick with planet earth... And the K2xxx series is sadly completely outdated and sonically surpassed in many aspects. These are technological limitations- not personal opinions.

That said, even the DX7 is a great synth regardless of how outdated FM synthesis is. Ask the ladies, its not the size, its what you do with it that counts... keyboards I mean.

Kurzweils day in the sun is long gone as far as king of the workstations goes and that ended over 10 years ago...

Well, I was a longtime Korg user, and I am not really ignorant about other offerings in workstation department, I spent time with every, and literally every major workstation and gigging board and I really cant see what are you aiming at. Can you enlighten me and point me in the direction of all the wonderful HARDWARE stuff that is giggable that surpassed VAST and the K series in such way that it is completely outdated?

• Members

i had two K2000, one loaded with 999 presets and both ROMs, full of commercial VAST presets showing all it could do... which is {censored}ty plastic dull sounds that had no sparkle or life in them whatsoever...

Hmm, well, maybe that is the problem right there. People make those commercial program sets to appeal to non-programmers who want their synth to sound "like this", and therefore do not create new and challenging sounds. If you really want to hear what a K2000 sounds like, you have to program it yourself.

As far as the commercial presets go, the Batman Strings sound that comes with the K2VX sounds as much like a mellotron orchestra as anything I have ever heard that was NOT a mellotron. Play "In the Court of the Crimson King" on it if you need further proof.

• Members

Every time I think it's time to retire my K2600 for newer equipment, it's always the same result...

1. Go to Guitar Center

2. Play on Fantoms. Pianos suck. Keyboard is mushy.

3. Play on Motifs. Damn those arpeggios are awesome!! Piano not too hot. Guitar sounds are very nice. Keyboard is ok.

4. Korg... I just don't like 'em. And the Triton's pianos sound like {censored}.

5. Go home

6. Get back out the K2600

7. Laugh at lewey

• Members

K2x00 sound is worth no more than $200 by today's standards

if you want to pay $1300 for some additional useless crap like VAST, sampling and a keyboard...
:idk:

Are you serious or kidding about Kurzweil instruments? :confused: I feel like your avatar keeps staring at me for some reason. It's kinda freaking me out...

• Members

Well then explain why are you minority here, whereas most of other people who actually tried out making their own sounds on a Kurzweil say it's an awesome machine? Hell, I say even presets on the new PC3x sound far superior than any other keyboard in that price range currently on the market. And it will probably remain that way for quite a few years. Why? Because Kurzweil has awesome samples. Because Kurzweil has VAST (which is in function very similar to NI Reaktor, only on a smaller scale, plus it was invented long before Reaktor saw the light of day). Because Kurzweil uses proprietary ASICs and AD/DA converters for their instruments. They are built solid. And I really don't need to go on further. Kurzweil had all that long before others, before its time.

Ever wondered why Rudess used K2600 for such a long time? He always had great sounds on that board, you know. He could mimic any other synth from ex-DT keyboard players. Even made them sound better. You just can't say Kurzweil is a {censored}ty board sounding like a joke. On the other hand, you can say, "ok, this board is not my cup of tea, because it doesn't give me the sounds I need". Way more polite and not bashing anything.

• Members

Well then explain why are you minority here, whereas most of other people who actually tried out making their own sounds on a Kurzweil say it's an awesome machine? Hell, I say even presets on the new PC3x sound far superior than any other keyboard in that price range currently on the market. And it will probably remain that way for quite a few years. Why? Because Kurzweil has awesome samples. Because Kurzweil has VAST (which is in function very similar to NI Reaktor, only on a smaller scale, plus it was invented long before Reaktor saw the light of day). Because Kurzweil uses proprietary ASICs and AD/DA converters for their instruments. They are built solid. And I really don't need to go on further. Kurzweil had all that long before others, before its time.

Ever wondered why Rudess used K2600 for such a long time? He always had great sounds on that board, you know. He could mimic any other synth from ex-DT keyboard players. Even made them sound better. You just can't say Kurzweil is a {censored}ty board sounding like a joke. On the other hand, you
can
say, "ok, this board is not my cup of tea, because it doesn't give me the sounds I need". Way more polite and not bashing anything.

Because Lewey thinks his ears are so much better than everyone else's along with his knowledge of what a "good" sound is.

And he enjoys stirring the pot for loss of something better to do with his time... like making more miata threads.

• Members

Because Lewey thinks his ears are so much better than everyone else's along with his knowledge of what a "good" sound is.

I know what "good" sound is because I have good taste and talent. Using Kurzweil's {censored}ty sounds is like wearing white trash clothes and eating fast food... you may enjoy it, be comfortable but you will still be white trash to anyone with at least some sense of fashion. Discerning between good and bad sounds is exactly like discerning between {censored}ty and good clothes, that's what makes some good musicians, and some - garage wankers. You either have good taste or you don't. When you don't, you start liking {censored}, and being offended when someone tells you you like {censored}. It's your right to like {censored} and be a white trash equivalent of musician, but please don't impose your tastes as the only true just because you have a bunch of other white trash friends who also have no taste.

And just in case, this post is not directed personally to you, just to "you" in general.

Archived