Best guitarists of the 2000's

b_nehpets

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Matt Bellamy- For introducing some semi- technical playing into modern music.

Brent Hinds- For being so damn cool, and playing some of the meanest country in metal.

Tom Morello- Because he has to be in it. His riffs and solos still kicked ass in Audioslave despite a lack of Zack.

• Members

My principal contribution to this thread is to point out that I find Matt Bellamy to be one of the most overrated guitar players of the decade. And pianists, too, purely because of the huge multitude of incredibly misguided people that laud his supposed "virtuosity" on the instrument. :thu:

But that aside, Govan and Waggoner are good pics. I myself nominate Jonathan Kreisberg and Jonny Buckland (since although Coldplay formed in 1999, the vast majority of their career so far has been during the period of 2000-present.).

But, in before the HCFX'd indie guys. :o

• Members

And before anyone says knudson, I think we need dudes that are a little mainstream, and people like jack white and greenwood don't count either... Even if they were amazing in the '00's... They predate this list for us.

I'm really confused as to your logic. Radiohead at least makes some sense, bu the White Stripes only released one album in the 90s (June 1999). Disregarding the five other WS albums and the Raconteurs because of their first album seems ridiculous.

Anyway, White and Homme are the two mainstream guitarists from that period that I appreciate. Matthew Bellamy can play, but I don't like Muse (overproduced, don't like the singing/lyrics, etc.). John Mayer is a good player, but I find he's too derivative. Wata could probably smoke any of these guys technically, but wouldn't call Boris mainstream.

• Members

Jack White/TWS became really popular after the millennium... sure their first album came out in 1999, but how many people actually knew about them before 2000... or even before White Blood Cells.

He's probably also been the hardest working guitarist in the '00s.

Archived