Facebook and the workplace

RoboPimp

• Members
{censored} that, I have enough idiots on one account, let alone three.

i actually only have 2, no professional one. i got the second obnoxious one when my wife started nagging that her relatives in ecuador would read some of my {censored} posts and get the wrong idea about me. that's the real me, how is it wrong? i was THIS CLOSE to defriending my {censored}ing WIFE. how bad is that? i actually love her a lot, she's rarely a pain. but i had had enough of her "what did you mean by posting blah blah blah?"...rant over :blah:

• Members

Yeah, I think that's possible. You can block types of things on your news feed and you can control what gets published with your own wall. The added security features are pretty good, much more so than before.

I have one account but have set up a limited profile so that anyone I don't want to look at pictures or wall posts go there and all they can see is my birthday and email, pretty much.

• Members

1 for work, 1 for family, 1 for friends. professional, nice, and total asshole. it's the only way to FB.

Haha, that's probably the way to do it. I dunno, I feel weird about having family on there with regular friends, because there's some stuff.....i've realized that I, like alot of people, change their behavior slightly depending on who's around. I thought that was bad for awhile, but it's actually good, because it means that you're considering your audience, you're adjusting to them and considering their feelings as well.

If someone around me is swearing, i'm more likely to swear, but i'm not gonna throw a bunch of f-bombs around grandpa, you know? So if i've got grandpa on Facebook, that's a problem. So then your Facebook has to be a one size fits all, and as my boss told me, "no offense to anyone that works here, but I won't add you. Because there's pictures of me drunk on there, ha ha". Which is understandable. Some people have no concept of who they're adding, why they're adding them, and what function is served by the adding or accepting. Which is exactly why people get fired from work and busted for having extra marital affairs and the like, because they're trying to cater to every fraction of their social life on Facebook. And it's bound to backfire eventually in some/ alot of cases.

I've also learned to almost never mix friends. By that, I mean, hang out with two different groups of friends that have nothing in common. Some of my friends are weirdo musicians, and that doesn't jive with some of my more "regular" type friends. Facebook doesn't really allow you to discern the different groups, unless you have multiple versions of your account, and that would become pointless, unless maybe you had a personal one, and then maybe a business one as well. There were people from my high school that added me that I had no idea who they were....just that we went to the same school....i'm kind of baffled as to the reasoning that people use for who they add.

• Members

Yeah, I think that's possible. You can block types of things on your news feed and you can control what gets published with your own wall. The added security features are pretty good, much more so than before.

Do you or anyone know where this is?

• Members

Look for the "Hide" box next to news feed items. You can block applications from appearing ({censored} Farmville) or even block people's activity. Then a pop up box appears with all your feed settings.

Then on your wall, hit options, then settings. This will allow you to adjust the rights that applications have to posting to your wall without prompting (most applications prompt now, giving you a choice).

• Members

Half way there.

I ended up just hiding the morons. Chance of them saying anything worthwhile are pretty slim anyway.

The hide function is a godsend. I dont give a {censored} that youre going to have a shower / go to bed / have done another {censored}in social questionnaire

• Members

The hide function is a godsend. I dont give a {censored} that youre going to have a shower / go to bed / have done another {censored}in social questionnaire

I've hidden the people that on;y ever seem to be joining groups and pages.

Loads and loads of them.

After hiding about three people, it suddenly seems like I'm on Facebook again, not part of some special needs group.

• Members
I've hidden the people that on;y ever seem to be joining groups and pages.

Loads and loads of them.

After hiding about three people, it suddenly seems like I'm on Facebook again, not part of some special needs group.

Yep, that's the point. Feels great taking control.

I mostly just hide the applications rather than the people, but whatever works :thu:

Also just got rid of all non-essential applications. Good riddance!

Archived