Nintendo unimpressed with iPad

RoboPimp

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You never got down with the Genesis or Dreamcast? I'll admit they flopped with Sega CD, but that was revolutionary, putting games on cds and using memory cards. People laughed at that idea then.

the games for genesis were good, but the system and controllers were horrible i thought. also, snes games > genesis games

dreamcast was awesome, however.

• Members

yeah and here we get upwards of TEN dollars for a 130$ book.

chegg ftw

this. its almost not worth doing. you go to the book buyback and walk away feeling like someone just jammed a tree branch up your ass. its ridiculous, 130 new, buy back for 30 dollars if you are lucky, sell it next semester for 70-80.

• Members
You will have a whole generation who read textbooks on LED screens and will be blind by the time they are 18. You ever read an entire book on a monitor? Its murder.

i don't know about the ithing, but the kindle has some screen that is supposed to resemble ink on a book, so it's not as tough on the eyes. supposedly it's effective :idk:

but yeah, i know what you mean. i can't read a 20 page pdf without crying a lil bit

• Members

My prediction is that they will have to, much like what has happened to the music industry. Will they fight it? Damn straight they will, but competitors will find a way to undercut their efforts.

Check it out!

Public school, I can see it. College? It will take a LOT longer.

You have to understand that a lot of professors make a good chunk of their money off of textbook sales. Get about six professors from six universities together, write a textbook, and then make it the required text for all six universities. Of course, you don't get residuals for used textbooks, so you need to update it every year or two by adding new pictures or new footnotes, or including the most up to date information.

Honestly, there's not a class in the world that couldn't be taught today with online resources replacing a physical textbook. Unfortunately, though, the professors need the cash from writing or promoting a specific book.

I made it through college by always having the previous version. I'd buy from the previous semester's students directly (the bookstore sells new for $150, buys back for $30 and resells for $145), and when necessary, I'd even ask the teacher if they had the older edition that I could borrow. Often, I'd end up with the teacher's own copy of the old book with their own notes written in the margin. Made my classes a lot easier, and very rarely were there any significant differences.

• Members

The Wii is. But thats when Nintendo decided to make a more family-oriented entertainment device. Sega was the first to use cd drives, memory cards, hard drives, Sega did a lot. Pretty much Sega would release a system and the other companies would wait for it to fail and then just copy their designs.

Sega never was "innovative" at all. Innovation to me is not just making your consoles more and more powerful and including as much state-of-the-art {censored} as possible. This hunger for power ultimately led to {censored}ty designs like the Genesis add-ons or, even worse, the Saturn. That thing had 6 (!) CPUs and was so difficult to work with that most developers abandoned the system, which ultimately led to Sega's downfall as a console-maker.

Nintendo on the other hand was quite the innovative little company back in their day. They invented {censored} that was actually useful to playing games like shoulder buttons, analog sticks and force feedback in console controllers.

But hey, Genesis had

and could play CDs!

• Members

Honestly, there's not a class in the world that couldn't be taught today with online resources replacing a physical textbook. Unfortunately, though, the professors need the cash from writing or promoting a specific book.

I gather they could do just as well if they had subscription-based websites that they maintained and sold advertising space on those sites as well. A following question is, would the Universities allow this? Would it cut into the University's profits?

• Members

Sega never was "innovative" at all. Innovation to me is not just making your consoles more and more powerful and including as much state-of-the-art {censored} as possible. This hunger for power ultimately led to {censored}ty designs like the Genesis add-ons or, even worse, the Saturn. That thing had 6 (!) CPUs and was so difficult to work with that most developers abandoned the system, which ultimately led to Sega's downfall as a console-maker.

Nintendo on the other hand was quite the innovative little company back in their day. They invented {censored} that was
actually useful to playing games
and

But hey, Genesis had
and could play CDs!

{censored} i need to get another genesis

• Members
You will have a whole generation who read textbooks on LED screens and will be blind by the time they are 18. You ever read an entire book on a monitor? Its murder.

Possibly. But the rise of carpal tunnel syndrome and posture-related back problems certainly hasn't slowed down techno culture. The human body might just adapt.

something-somewhere-went-terribly-wrong.

• Members

Nintendo on the other hand was quite the innovative little company back in their day. They invented {censored} that was
actually useful to playing games
and

But hey, Genesis had
and could play CDs!

Bull{censored}, Nintendo didnt invent shoulder buttons and analog sticks. That {censored} was on arcade and pinball machines before then. The concept of a shoulder button is no different than a side button on a pinball machine. Sega was the first to use the Internet and modems on their machines (Dreamcast). {censored} like that matters cause now everyone games online, I could give a damn about a shoulder button.

Nintendo has not been revolutionary in the hardware dept imo. They excel with software and do an amazing job of creating friendly, nice games for the entire family to enjoy. You do stuff like draw cute little flowers on a tv screen in a Nintendo game.

• Members
this. its almost not worth doing. you go to the book buyback and walk away feeling like someone just jammed a tree branch up your ass. its ridiculous, 130 new, buy back for 30 dollars if you are lucky, sell it next semester for 70-80.

Wow. At my university, you would receive about 40% of the new purchase price for any book they would buy back from you. The way I look at it, is that if it comes down to you selling a book you'll never read for $10, or you not getting anything for it, I'd take the $10.

There's also nothing stopping you guys from selling your textbooks privately, eh?

:idk:

• Members

It's already been done.

It was a miserable failure.

It's all about the timing.

I mean really, I still have most of my old college textbooks. Do I ever look at them anymore? Hell no! Why am I holding on to that stuff and lugging it around every time I have to move?

10 years from now, you guys might be asking yourselves the same question.

• Members

I mean really, I still have most of my old college textbooks. Do I ever look at them anymore? Hell no! Why am I holding on to that stuff and lugging it around every time I have to move?

eh, I still prefer doing all my serious reading with books. there's just something about having something solid there. on the other hand, i do enjoy reading the communist manifesto on my iPod Touch. The juxtaposition makes me giddy somehow.

• Members

there's just something about having something solid there.

I'm that way about coffee-table books, art books, children's books, and collectible books (like Edward Gorey, or vintage copies). I'll hold on to those.

But everything else? Meh. I'd just as soon borrow it from the public library or read it on my iPod.

• Members

I mean really, I still have most of my old college textbooks.
Do I ever look at them anymore?
Hell no! Why am I holding on to that stuff and lugging it around every time I have to move?

I break out the Phys & Calc books every once in a while. I'm so rusty with calc it takes me forever to remember how to do stuff. :facepalm:

• Members

2.0 will sort things out, hopefully

Exactly.

Wait for iPhone OS 4.0 to be announced, and the extra features from that (and more) added to the iPad. I bet that they held a lot of features back for the iPad so they didn't ruin the surprise of 4.0.

Archived