kherman

• Members

Korg X50 Keyboard

korgkeyboardth8.jpg

korgkeyboardiinx2.jpg

korgkeyboardiiikl9.jpg

Got a new keyboard.

I'm a guitarist.

But, needed something to write and home record some keys and drum parts with.

I have a E-mu Xbaord 61 controller. But, I could never get that and the Proteus program to work properly.

No matter how many different ways I installed those drivers.

So, I said to heck with it and bought an actual synth instead.

I've read good things about the X50 for it's price range.

So, I went for it.

Haven't tried it out yet.

But, that's my plans for this evening. :)

got it from Musiciansbuy.com

They included the stand, yamaha headphones, Hosa cord, and a sustain pedal.

• Members

yes, fine, thank you susan.

OOPS!

Sorry Metro.

I hang out in the Guitar forum of H.C. .

I should properly introduce myself here.

Names Kent.

Been a guitarist for 20 so years.

Mainly listen to Prog and power metal.

Was formally in a prog band called Dimension X.

Now working on a new power metal project with some friends.

Noobie to keyboards.

but, hope to learn.

• Members

Nice synth, poor choice for stand though imo. Allways get heavy duty double braced for X stands instead of single braced ones.

Stand came free with it.

So, I can't complain.

For home studio use it should be ok.

• Members

I love my X50. Yeah, it's a little light feeling, the sound is great. that stand was probably a package deal. It'll work. the X50 is very light

cool,wwwjd.

Only thing I've noticed so far is that the middle F key required a little harder finger attack to get the sound to play. Not as sensative as the other keys.

Otherwise, everything else seems pretty decent.

• Members

Your first assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to install and use the USB-Midi driver and Editor/Librarian/Plug-in software. But don't use the CD that came with it. Download the latest software and driver from Korg. Then visit KorgForums.com to the forums and the download sections to try all the PCG files from the various Triton sections.

The software is the key to quickly understanding how the synth engine works. It takes much longer to learn if you limit yourself to menu diving with a small lcd and the panel controls on the X-50 itself. The software shows dozens if not hundreds of parameters per screen, yet in a visually organized way to make it easier to understand how each parameter relates to the patch. Plus you should save the factory patches before changing anything, and the software is the way to do that.

• Members

The X-50 is very impressive. I had a TR61 (which is the same keyboard, but as a workstation-lite), but couldn't stand the action.

I got a Triton Extreme (which feels and sounds great), but there are still X50/TR patches that I miss and it doesn't have. Like "Pro Brass". :(

Congrats.

As for the "F" key, did you buy this new? If so, you should have it replaced!

• Members

Congratulations - have fun using it.

I have the Korg Micro X which I believe has the same Triton sound engine as the X50. I've been doing some serious tweaking on it and getting amazing sounds out of it.

• Members

Your first assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to install and use the USB-Midi driver and Editor/Librarian/Plug-in software. But don't use the CD that came with it. Download the latest software and driver from Korg. Then visit KorgForums.com to the forums and the download sections to try all the PCG files from the various Triton sections.

The software is the key to quickly understanding how the synth engine works. It takes much longer to learn if you limit yourself to menu diving with a small lcd and the panel controls on the X-50 itself. The software shows dozens if not hundreds of parameters per screen, yet in a visually organized way to make it easier to understand how each parameter relates to the patch. Plus you should save the factory patches before changing anything, and the software is the way to do that.

Don't those PCG files require some hex editing conversion to work right? I have not tried it yet

• Members

Don't those PCG files require some hex editing conversion to work right? I have not tried it yet

Nope. No hex editing when you use the software. The software accomodates the differences by moving parameters that have changed location, deleting invalid parameters and filling default values for the rest of a patch.

• Members

Nope. No hex editing when you use the software. The software accomodates the differences by moving parameters that have changed location, deleting invalid parameters and filling default values for the rest of a patch.

Freakin sweet!!! Thanks for the info. NOW I have a reason to futz with that. I'm sick of tweaking stuff in computers [hex editing] but this is doable!!

Can it accept ALL the Triton PCG files or just a certain set like LE or something?

• Members

It can accept all the PCG files, but the results can vary based on the PCM waveforms used by the patch, of course. The X-50 ROM was designed to be very closely compatible with the Triton TR, so that is your best bet along with older Triton/Rack/LE programs. Most other patches work too when they are based on that portion of the ROM, even with the Triton Extreme and Studio. The ones that won't give good results are those that depend entirely on samples that aren't part of the standard ROM set. The MicroX is a bit less compatible because it doesn't use the TR ROM, but goes back to the older Triton and adds all new waves for the rest of its unique set. A lot of owners like the new MicroX ROM anyways, so giving up the extra compatibility ain't so bad in the bargain. I wanted the larger keyboard and TR compability, so I got the X50. I use the patches as a springboard to get ideas for creating my own. Having access to the large Triton patch library is one of the most important features of the X-50 to me. The VSTi plug-in editor is also very useful to me within Cubase.

• Members

The X-50 is very impressive. I had a TR61 (which is the same keyboard, but as a workstation-lite), but couldn't stand the action.

I got a Triton Extreme (which feels and sounds great), but there are still X50/TR patches that I miss and it doesn't have. Like "Pro Brass".
:(

Congrats.

As for the "F" key, did you buy this new? If so, you should have it replaced!

Yes, I bought new.

Online though. From Florida. I'm in Wisconsin.

Really don't want to have to send it back.

Right now it's not a big issue. I just have to play a tiny bit firmer. Not so light touched.

I registered it online. So, it's got the extended warranty as well as the normal 1 year.

Basically a 2 year warranty now.

So, if it does get worse I can always contact Korg and have them replace it.

I'll probably do that either way before the two year warranty's up.

Maybe I'll just plunk around on it for a couple weeks.

Once I'm familiar with it, then have them exchange or fix it. :)

• Members

Happy playing.

I hope you have more luck with your pitch bend wheel than I did with mine (on my R3).

If it starts clunking when you bend it down, make sure you take it back for warranty repair.

Thanks, Groovatious.

So far so good with the pitch bend wheel.

But, I'll definitely keep an eye out for that.

Thanks for the heads up.

:thu:

• Members

You can download 1.04 from korg.co.uk, and the USB driver version is 1.11. The CDs shipped with any product don't stay fresh very long, so it's always worth checking for newer ones so that you don't have to run into problems that have already been fixed.

Archived