Almost doubling Memory Boy delay time, without an expression pedal

companyman

• Members

okay so I started a thread on the Behringer exp. pedal and the Memory Boy, well after I unplugged the exp. pedal I left the patch cable in the expression jack on the Memory Boy and all of a sudden I am getting MUCH longer delay time. I usually set the delay time to 3:00 for long delay solo's, I am getting the same delay time at around 8:00! This pedal is weird as {censored} and I love it! Try it and let me know if it works for you too.

• Members

i did this with a 1/4" to 3.5mm converter jack back when i got it, same effect.

Throughout the demo you can see the jack not fully plugged in, i plugged it in around the 4 minute mark, VERY long delays but terrible repeats

• Members

okay, good I'm not nuts! This is a great expansion of this pedal for me...the EXP pedal is going back.

Natty, I know you are trying this trick with your Memory Boy as I am typing...and you have semi-chub just thinking it might work!

• Members

This didn't work for me. Made the repeats sound {censored}e.

I don't have the ability to do demo clips, but the repeats get low-fi in a good way between 2:00 thru 4:00 then start to get ring modulated sounding, which is a cool feature....I don't get paid by EHX, just wanted to let the noobs know that the Memory Boy is inconsistant perhaps, but it is a flexible, fun to use weirdo delay pedal.....and now with great delay time, at least with mine....I'll try to post some demo's sometime.

• Members

I don't have the ability to do demo clips, but the repeats get low-fi in a good way between 2:00 thru 4:00 then start to get ring modulated sounding, which is a cool feature....I don't get paid by EHX, just wanted to let the noobs know that the Memory Boy is inconsistant perhaps, but it is a flexible, fun to use weirdo delay pedal.....and now with great delay time, at least with mine....I'll try to post some demo's sometime.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a grouch. But when i tried it I could barely even hear the repeats. It wasn't good. I hear there is a lot of variance in the memboys though.

• Members

i did this with a 1/4" to 3.5mm converter jack back when i got it, same effect.

Throughout the demo you can see the jack not fully plugged in, i plugged it in around the 4 minute mark, VERY long delays but terrible repeats

that's how i set mine. If i keep the modulation off i can toggle the exp pedal switch to get 2 different delay times without switching settings.

• Members

I have this vision of benevolent, electronics elves wringing their hands with glee....just wait until all of the pedal geeks out there discover what this secret door opens up....this sounds great, very Frippertronics! And I'm not smoking that {censored} that someone has been posting about...ya freak !

• Members

You're plugging in a cable with no termination at the other end which means you are plugging in infinite resistance where there would otherwise be probably 100k ohms. That will dramatically increase the delay time but the pedal isn't clocked for it and isn't capable of good fidelity at that length of delay so it will sound bad.

• Members

You're plugging in a cable with no termination at the other end which means you are plugging in infinite resistance where there would otherwise be probably 100k ohms. That will dramatically increase the delay time but the pedal isn't clocked for it and isn't capable of good fidelity at that length of delay so it will sound bad.

damn, I can't do a demo...it sounds lo-fi in that the repeatsare not pristine, but still very musical sounding....things get dissonant after 4:00...I 'm no electronics person, but my ears like what they hear.

Edit- there is some clock noise when the delay is past about 2:00...faint, but noticable...with dirt not noticable.

• Members

What you are actually doing is overloading the flux capacitor with tacheon pulses. After about a thousand jigawatts the repeats should be clocked high enough for haunting mids.

Good luck.

It's tachyon beams not pulses :cop:

• Members

does doing this tax any of the componants too much?

• Members

Well there is nothing that really gets 'taxed' in a pedal really. If it works it works. Its just not what it was designed to do so it wont sound ideal.

excellent, thanks! Well, this pedal just opened up a bunch for me! Eh, haters gonna hate.......oh here is some Biggie...cuz that's how I roll...

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

picked up a MXR Distortion III off craigslist super cheap, needed a light overdrive to put in front of the Flanger Hoax, just some grit to accentuate the sweeps...sounds just like what I was wanting. That into the Memory Boy with the long delay with the vibrato set to 10:00 into the Pulsar set to square wave, in stereo into the RV600 set to the Space/Octo setting into two amps....sounded so sweet! The Tube Zipper is after the Flanger Hoax, before the memory Boy set to pretty high gain with just a hint of the filter....righteous. I played for 3 hours straight.

Archived