Marshall Reflector vs Hardwire RV-7

Taylor704

• Members

On the lookout for a reverb pedal since, sadly, my HT-5 is reverbless. I'm mainly looking for that subtle sound that I can leave on in the background but at times i'd like to get that big hall sound (but not Jeff Buckley levels).

Marshall Reflector:

I've had a quick look around and most of the websites seem to put it at around

• Members

if you're looking for something natural that you leave on all the time I wouldn't get the hardwire. IMO it doesn't do the natural thing very well. It's more of a huge, long decay, ambient type of pedal imo. If I were you I'd get a Holy Grail or Boost RVB.

• Members

I can't comment on the Hardwire, except to say that I've seen good reviews. I bought the Marshall Reflector from a UK forumite for 25 quid IIRC - a great deal. My Vox Night Train is reverbless, so it was important to me at the time, although lately I've been digging bone-dry tones.

The RF-1 is nice. Doesn't seem to suck tone, plenty of different settings, most of which sound good to great. The most important thing to me which sets it apart from other reverbs I've tried in the past (various multis, plugins, and cheap standalone units, I haven't used other verb pedals) is that it doesn't have the horrible tinny digital artefacts that have plagued many of the other cheap reverbs I've tried.

The reliability issue has not been an issue for me, but obviously has been a problem for some. I always take things with a grain of salt though - a few people whose pedal went belly up can make a lot more noise than thousands of satisfied customers... For 25 pounds it was a no-brainer for me to buy. Keep an eye out for a used one. My one gripe with it is that it's very heavy for its size.

Steve

• Members

The Marshall Reflector will retain your tone through an analog path when on. I don't own one myself so I'm sure someone else can explain it better. Also, the reliability issues have been fixed on more recent batches.

I read that about the signal in a review as well (still don't see how it differs from any other reverb pedal personally) and I assumed some of the reliability issues must be fixed. My Echohead was made last year and like I said it's been running fine, so the Reflector has probably has an upgrade or two.

• Members

got the reflector which is awesome. i love it for the hall and spring modes. i like that it can be real subtle and warm too. the reverse is cool also.

it was the reverb i was looking for and i thought it sounded way better than the boss rv-5 and ehx holy grail. i have had it over a year and have not had any problems with it.

• Members

I have an RF-1.. the only reason i'd get the Hardwire is for the reverse mode. otherwise, the Reflector does the job just right for me. i've had a couple at the same time and i've never had an issue with it after about 3 or 4 years now. same as my echohead. rock solid and sounds great.

a lot of other reverbs digitize your unaffected signal.. AD/DA converters or something. basically it reads your signal, turns it into 1's and 0's and puts it back out again. i prefer that it doesn't do that.

the RF-1 won't go 100% wet and the hall mode, although excellent in it's own right, adds a {censored}tonne of dense low-end reflections which can induce boominess.

i've only tried the Hardwire in a shop, and the reverbs seemed less natural, and sounded 'seperate' from the dry signal instead of melding into the overall sound. they didn't sit well together. but it will do long decay spacey stuff, modulated etc if that's what your after. the reverse mode is sinister as {censored}.

on the RF-1 i use spring 2 mode (spring + plate) set to maximum decay and it's really nice for an amp-like reverb but with extra depth and decay. very tasty. i've also started using the reverse mode with really short decay settings which gives off a very unique sound.. i need to record a demo of that sound soon actually.. it's kind of like a rythmic bababaababaababaa thing which is more subtle and useable than any step filter/sequenced wah but with a similar feel.

there's clips in my sig of the RF-1.

Archived