step 1: tune open string to E

step 2: fret at 12th

step 3: adjust bridge until note is 'E' at the 12th

step 4: re-tune open 'E'

step 5: check and adjust bridge again

step 6: re-tune 'E' string

step 7: repeat until open string and 12th fret both read as 'E'

step 8: repeat with A, D.. etc until you have done all strings

don't rush it and fret the 12th very carefully.

• Members

In addition to melx's post.

When you fret at the 12 make it very light and have your finger close to the fret wire.

If the note is sharp when fretting at the 12th move the saddle AWAY from the headstock. This makes the second half of the string longer, thus flatter.

If it's flat after fretting at the 12th, adjust the saddle TOWARDS the headstock.

Also, it's a good idea to set your guitar on a table with no strain on the neck.

• Members
In addition to melx's post.

When you fret at the 12 make it very light and have your finger close to the fret wire.

If the note is sharp when fretting at the 12th move the saddle AWAY from the headstock. This makes the second half of the string longer, thus flatter.

If it's flat after fretting at the 12th, adjust the saddle TOWARDS the headstock.

Also, it's a good idea to set your guitar on a table with no strain on the neck.

Man I wish you two had told me this like 6 years ago... everytime I try and read up about intonating a guitar im overwhelmed with information :(

So props to you both!

• Members

ADDED: Tune all strings.

step 1: tune open string to E

step 2: fret at 12th

step 3: adjust bridge until note is 'E' at the 12th

step 4: re-tune open 'E'

step 5: check and adjust bridge again

step 6: re-tune 'E' string

step 7: repeat until open string and 12th fret both read as 'E'

step 8: repeat with A, D.. etc until you have done all strings

don't rush it and fret the 12th very carefully.

See ADDED: some may think it's not necessary, but I do.

• Members

Thanks for all the help, its exactly what I wanted, but as I'm moving the bridge it will change the pitch of the string, but when I retune it has had no effect, I've been following the steps, is it my ignorance? Could it be my guitar?

what kind of guitar is it? (and what kind of bridge does it have?)

Its a copy of a strat, Nature by Jixing if it of relevance, AFAIK its the standard strat bridge

• Members

its the tuner on my x vamp, so its probably not very accurate

nah, man you can't intonate a guitar with that... it only has 3 led's doesn't it, for tuning? I seriously doubt it's accurate enough.

how bad does it sound out if you play your open E and the A and D string fretted at the 14th? (an E minor)

• Members

nah, man you can't intonate a guitar with that... it only has 3 led's doesn't it, for tuning? I seriously doubt it's accurate enough.

how bad does it sound out if you play your open E and the A and D string fretted at the 14th? (an E minor)

Its got 5 leds, but they tend to jump all over the place, especially with my top E, I cant tune that unless I use the neck pickup

the Em sounded minor, and I've never noticed anything too severely before, but the tuner does pick up a difference

• Members

Better tuner, do it in the playing position as if it's done laying down it will not be intonated while playing, make sure your not touching the tuners while checking the open or fretted noted as the little pressure will still effect it. I would block the tremolo so it doesn't come into the picture, and start out with the saddles staggered roughly in the right positions to save time. Once you get the hang of it intonation takes about 10mins. Strobe tuners are your friend, they are spendy but when you can do complete setups your self you will save money in the long run.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

you can't intonate a guitar with a {censored}ty tuner. you can't even intonate a guitar with a mediocre tuner. you need something more accurate than what you might need for band practice. although a really good accurate tuner will make tuning live much faster and easier. it's a worthy investment. i have a turbo tuner and i think it's the most bang for your buck you can get in a tuner and definitely accurate enough for setups.

Archived