Choose from four acoustic piano sounds

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I went and downloaded the Pianoteq demo - very interesting. Because it uses modeling, and not samples, the sounds load very quickly. I have a 2.4 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 2GB RAM, and the German Piano probably takes 7 - 8 seconds to load into MachFive, which sucks. It is also very CPU-intensive.

• Members
OK, I ran it through my modest low-budget romplers.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=301701

The mm6 is the
"classic piano"
patch. The X50 is the
"StereoPiano mf/f."

The X50 isnt quite is horrible as people might think, then again its not going to win any prizes.
:lol:
It might work in a Bruce Hornsby song.
:lol:

I went to your site to listen to the piano demos you did and stumbled on your music. You are the only musician I know of who uses synthesizers to emulate classical music. "Spanish Dance" is freaking outstanding. Hats off to you!

Those violin riffs are unbelievably realistic. If they are synthetic, I am shocked.

Back to this thread. As far as the piano quality in hardware synths, I don't think anyone beats Roland. Not Yamaha, not Korg, not Casio, not Kurzweil, etc. Having said that, I have heard some virtual pianos that stunned the hellawta me.

• Members

I went and downloaded the Pianoteq demo - very interesting. Because it uses modeling, and not samples, the sounds load very quickly. I have a 2.4 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 2GB RAM, and the German Piano probably takes 7 - 8 seconds to load into MachFive, which sucks. It is also very CPU-intensive.

Yeah, it loads in much faster than samples; and changing models is almost instant. I find I'm a bit jealous of the 'lushness' of some of the sample-based pianos but Pianoteq is so responsive and flexible (it's a synthesiser, really) I basically never use the Logic pianos and can't imagine buying anything else.

But I can certainly see the appeal of the nanopiano in its itty bitty little box.

• Members

But I can certainly see the appeal of the nanopiano in its itty bitty little box.

Yeah, that nanopiano actually sounds pretty good.

Years ago I had an Emu Proformance piano module, another little half-rack space box, and I recall it sounding really good too. But it didn't have effects, and I sold it after I got into romplers. I wish now that I had the little guy.

• Members

Yeah, that nanopiano actually sounds pretty good.

Which is why when noobs ask, "where can I get good piano sounds cheap", I recommend the NP. It's not perfect, but for their used price I'd say they're well worth it.

I actually did few gigs with just it and my KX-88. Worked great.

• Members

I went to your site to listen to the piano demos you did and stumbled on your music. You are the only musician I know of who uses synthesizers to emulate classical music. "Spanish Dance" is freaking outstanding. Hats off to you!

Those violin riffs are unbelievably realistic. If they are synthetic, I am shocked.

Thanks. The violin riffs are real, I am a violinist.

• Members
Which is why when noobs ask, "where can I get good piano sounds cheap", I recommend the NP. It's not perfect, but for their used price I'd say they're well worth it.

I actually did few gigs with just it and my KX-88. Worked great.

Its much better than I expected.:thu:

• Members

• Members

If someone had web space, I could send you some demos via email so that you post the links here. I could do some piano presets from the Roland XV5050, Yamaha S08, Boss Dr. Synth DS330 and Yamaha SY77.

If that's not possible, know that the piano quality will decrease as you go down the list above:)

• Members

What's the point of using THE SAME midi file for all different pianos? It's unfair and irrelevant comparison IMO. Each piano sound is individual and should be played in its own individual way that emphasizes its strong points, and only comparison of such playing can reveal the potential of each piano.
Instead, we currently know nothing more than which piano is better for rendering one and only one specific sequence of MIDI commands, and such knowledge is rather useless, I think.

• Members

In case this is stickied, here is my experience with piano emulation over the years:

Best - Akoustik Piano - the Steinway

Second Place - Ivory - the Bosendorfer

Runner Up - Pianoteq - modeled, best performance, not quite as realistic sounding (yet) as the above

Still alive and kickin' - William Coakley "Perfect Piano"

Also usuable: Holy Grail Piano

And, of course, still usable: Kurzweil Triple Strike

The last three, although old, can be tweaked for better sound quality and the amp/filter envelopes adjusted for a better piano soft touch.

Best "mini megabyte" piano: Roland SRX-11

Yamaha used to have the best small footprint pianos, but lately I think they sound brittle and hard compared to Roland's, who have overtaken them in quality, IMO. :)

• Members

What's the point of using THE SAME midi file for all different pianos? It's unfair and irrelevant comparison IMO. Each piano sound is individual and should be played in its own individual way that emphasizes its strong points, and only comparison of such playing can reveal the potential of each piano.

Instead, we currently know nothing more than which piano is better for rendering one and only one specific sequence of MIDI commands, and such knowledge is rather useless, I think.

I disagree.

• Members

Wow. This makes such little sense it's hard for me to wrap my brain around it. (I'm taking a cue from Drooly's book, yeah?)

The MIDI file itself, I think, demonstrates several nuances of piano playing and Mr. KeyboardWizard did a great job in that regard.

I'd write more but it'd be a waste.

And I agree with you.

I agree too, but what Megakazbek is (assumedly) saying is that one would approach each instrument or sample differently. Some of the demos we are hearing would sound lousy on Gershwin but would be great for Billy Joel. Nonetheless, it is the ONLY way to compare them.

• Members

Well one obvious problem would be that different piano patches have different velocities. In one piano, a speed of, say, 80, would be a mezzo-forte, in another it would be a forte. It could make the sound a lot different. I think I hear that in the Purgatory Creek mp3s - some pianos sound like they're being hammered on, but their forte and fortissimo speed just happen to come at higher velocity settings.

But the midi is still the best way to compare digital pianos, nonetheless.

Archived