Choose from four acoustic piano sounds

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Nr 1 sounds like the Concert Grand D of Akoustik Piano.

I was going to say that too, but I was too cowardly to post in and be wrong . . .

I knew it was software, it was way too good. I guess keybdwizrd had them ranked in order of quality: software, motif, fantom, jv. Except that like some others here I quite prefer the fantom to the motif. :)

• Members

Thanks for the midi, keybdwizrd.

Here are five examples from Pianoteq. M1 and C2 are sort of generic pianos (at any rate they're anonymous) and Bechstein and Erard are modelled after specific individual pianos. Graf is an individual pianoforte (and is, by default, in Werkmeister III temperament). I used dry untweaked versions for all of these.

C2 chamber

M1 jazz

Bechstein

Erard

Graf

• Members

Good job, Doug!

Yamaha C2 for the first one? Kind of does sound like a Yamaha doesn't it?

Petrof makes an upright that they call the P 131 M1. No idea if that's what the M1 is, I haven't heard one. It could be an upright or a baby grand... I think it's my favorite of the bunch.

• Members

#3 is my favorite because I can feel not only the sound but a real environment specially for solo piano.

#1 is my second but maybe Icould like it more if there is some drums and guitars or something.

#4 is the last. Too bright for my taste but for salsa and latin could work very well.

• Members

Here are five examples from Pianoteq.

Thanks for sharing these, this is very interesting. I think my personal preference amongst this group is the M1.

I would love to hear what Synthogy Ivory sounds like.... does anyone have Ivory who could post some MP3s?

• Members

for me number 3 is the best, definitely (it was in fact the only piano I actually liked). I would recommend you to sample a Kurzweil piano, it rocks in pianos.

ps: keybdwizrd you have a very great collection of machines as i saw in your videos, those really rock!

• Members

ps: keybdwizrd you have a very great collection of machines as i saw in your videos, those really rock!

Thanks. Like many people I am often trying out different synths, so I don't necessarily own them all at the same time. For example:

"Keepers" I have now:

DSI Prophet '08

Virus TI Polar

Moog LP Tribute

Korg Micro X

Yamaha Motif 6

Yamaha Motif Rack

Yamaha MU80

Roland Fantom XR

Roland JV-1080

Sofsynths:

Arturia MinimoogV

Arturia ARP2600V

NI Absynth 4

NI Pro-53

Gmedia Oddity

MOTU MachFive 2

MOTU Ethno

USB Plugsound Pro

Morphine

Synths on my wish list (to purchase and try):

Roland JP-8080

Moog Voyager RME

Korg Radias

Korg Triton Rack

Roland Juno Stage (when it comes out)

Arturia Analog Factory Experience (with the keyboard)

U-he Zebra 2

Korg Oasys (yeah, I'd love to have one....)

Synths I bought, played, and sold:

Moog Rogue (no real use for analog monosynth with no MIDI or patch memory)

MiniKorg (ditto)

Korg EMX-1 (cool box, sounds great, but my workflow just didn't jive with the beatbox/drum machine concept)

Roland TR-707 (ditto)

Access Virus Indigo (sold it when I got the TI)

Waldorf Micro Q (lots of people love the Waldorf sound, I wasn't one of them)

• Members

Thanks. Like many people I am often trying out different synths, so I don't necessarily own them all at the same time. For example:

"Keepers" I have now:

DSI Prophet '08

Virus TI Polar

Moog LP Tribute

Korg Micro X

Yamaha Motif 6

Yamaha Motif Rack

Yamaha MU80

Roland Fantom XR

Roland JV-1080

Sofsynths:

Arturia MinimoogV

Arturia ARP2600V

NI Absynth 4

NI Pro-53

Gmedia Oddity

MOTU MachFive 2

MOTU Ethno

USB Plugsound Pro

Morphine

Roland JP-8080

Moog Voyager RME

Korg Radias

Korg Triton Rack

Roland Juno Stage (when it comes out)

Arturia Analog Factory Experience (with the keyboard)

U-he Zebra 2

Korg Oasys (yeah, I'd love to have one....)

Synths I bought, played, and sold:

Moog Rogue (no real use for analog monosynth with no MIDI or patch memory)

MiniKorg (ditto)

Korg EMX-1 (cool box, sounds great, but my workflow just didn't jive with the beatbox/drum machine concept)

Roland TR-707 (ditto)

Access Virus Indigo (sold it when I got the TI)

Waldorf Micro Q (lots of people love the Waldorf sound, I wasn't one of them)

wow man, you have a big list of machines (and future machines). I would add the PC3 in that list to make it perfect in my opinion. I agree with most of your tastes, they all should rule.

this is my personal wish list:

-Virus TI Polar

-Moog/Minimoog Voyager, I dont care which one I just need a good Moog Product

-Kurzweil PC3

-Korg Microx

-Roland V synth

What Synth do you like more, Motif or Fantom?, is it true what users talk about the Fantom x? is it that great?. I tried it in the store, but I think I need to explore more that machine to have a better opinion because users are all happy with it.

take care and keep playing!

• Members
Not at all.... Here it is, in standard MIDI format:

Walthius Piano Demo MIDI File

It'd be interesting if people posted recordings of their different pianos using this tune for comparison purposes.

Thanks for posting this - ill run it through some of the stuff I have around here :)

Someone who has a Kurzweil PC3X *PLEASE* do the same - would be really interesting to get that thing in the comparison.

• Members

Korg Radias

Korg Triton Rack

Radias - have one, and TBH I fiddle with it lots, find some cool stuff on it, record it, then usually some time during mixing I start getting irratated and replace it with a virus ti sound, so it been mostly used for spot fill work, occasionally adding air to virus ti sounds etc. A really fun machine, but basically thin.

Triton rack - while most of the stock sound IMHO fall behind the fantom xr and motif es, there are some real gems in this thing. Synthy and processed sounds seem to have more character than the others too.

Archived