OT - Perfect Pitch Test

sommy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the title "perfect pitch" is misleading.

people have always told me that I had perfect pitch from a young age, but i think it was just a good pitch memory and an early development of relative pitch.

I think this because i grew up playing a piano, which was always in tune.

but when I started playing guitar I had the chance to start playing along to some records (which weren't always tuned A=440), and i'd just adjust the guitar accordingly. This really messed with my "perfect pitch" and i had to unlearn what i knew, and it would mess with my results on tuned pianos. but relative pitch would always come and save the day! i always got perfect in my ear training classes too. I can remember the pitch of the AC in my old solfege classroom. was that cheating? was that perfect pitch? i did instantly recognized walking in to class one day that someone tweaked with the AC and it's pitch changed from an F to a F#. isn't that just pitch memory?

that's my story.

i scored 12/12 on the perfect pitch test

but is it really perfect pitch?

or did i cheat using relative pitch because i can't escape knowing that my computer fan is a perfect E @ 165Hz ?

• Members
And there are a large number of studies that suggest it is (or at least can be) an innate / genetic trait.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/110519688/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

http://www.sciencenetlinks.com/sci_update.php?DocID=334

http://news.ucsf.edu/releases/genetically-set-for-perfect-pitch-you-might-be-but-without-early-training-d/

just because it has been found to be tied with genes, does NOT discount the fact that it can be learned. This argument of genetic vs learned is not mutually exclusive in the least. :rolleyes:

• Members

Actually, I don't know if it's something I'd want.

I know a guy, musician, who has perfect pitch. Not perfect relative pitch.
Perfect pitch.
Because of him, I know that the fan in the refrigerator at his house hums at exactly a G#.

I don't know if I'd want that.

Have him protest something infront of an LRAD and then ask him what pitch its business end operates at.

• Members

On relative, I got like a 6/12 on average. But when I do it with a guitar in my hands I can almost always play the interval on the first try. weird. I need to take an ear training class. Relative pitch is actually pretty easy to learn, mine used to be better. Hearing intervals isn't incredibly hard if you aren't tone deaf.

and I had decent perfect pitch while I was taking lessons. My teacher would play a note and I'd have to locate it on the guitar. I could usually get within a half step. Pretty sure I can't do that anymore.

it doesnt count if you use an instrument. take a class

• Members

3/12 on the perfect pitch test and 9/12 on the relative pitch one.

I think the relative pitch test is pretty easy for guitar players, since we hear fifths and thirds all the time and we can figure almost everything out trying to visualize the fretboard and using the reference note.

• Members

I forgot to mention that my girlfriend has perfect pitch. She doesn't play guitar, but one day when she was in my room she just started plucking the strings at random and would call off the note name. She also proceeded to tell me how out of tune I was haha. It blew my mind.

She play something like Piano or Violin?

• Members
She's a vocal major, but she doesn't play any instruments. Maybe a tiny bit of piano for her major, but she just sings, really.

yeah that would make sense. I have a sister who was trained as an opera singer and she's the best at tuning everybody's instruments.:lol:

• Members

4/12 perfect,
7/12 relative.

I think it's pretty good considering I got lazy and impatient toward the end of both tests, and, I've only been playing for a couple years!

Though, good chance it's only luck... lol. Middle of the road I guess. :poke:

Archived