OT Ubuntu Users

Aaron SS

• Members

I used to be a strictly-Ubuntu user on all my machines before Windows 7. I still have it on my netbook and it's great. What kind of netbook is it? If it has a big enough hard drive/SSD, 8gb+ I'd say, I wouldn't even bother with something like the Netbook Remix version and just do a full Ubuntu install. Wireless/sound all worked out of the box for my Dell Mini 9, but YMMV since those two things are usually a bitch to get working if they don't right away.

• Members

Oh, absolutely go for it then. In my experience, Dells play well with Ubuntu and various other linux distros, for the most part. The only thing I haven't gotten totally working right on mine are the audio jacks; i can plug headphones in, but audio still comes out the speakers. :idk: close enough to working 100% in my book.

10.04 just came out this week, anyway. :thu:

• Members

"internet security" in the sense that Windows users should be running an anti-virus? It dosen't come with one, but it isn't really required like it is on Windows.

Also, if you want to give it a shot, they have Live CDs that run directly off a cd you burn without changing anything on your hard drive. You cant save any new files, but you can get an idea of how things work.

• Members

For giggles, watch this:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

If you have a supported video card (3d rendering shader etc.), that stuff is easily possible.

Your video games will blink if you don't turn the cool stuff off, but whatever.

I had a mobo go bad on my comp, and got disgusted with vista....slow....

got new mobo...

Installed Ubuntu on both computers and had them online watching movies and playing games in about 2 hours each.

medibuntu repositories are crucial

Internet connection is crucial too (IMHO), preferably cat5 cable, right in the back.

When you run the live cd, it could be a good idea to run in safe graphics mode at least until drivers are running.

• Members

I was a fool and downloaded a {censored} ton of music through itunes, and let itunes convert a lot of my collection into their file format. :cry: So until itunes comes to linux im kinda stuck... (any converters out there?)

I do have it on here as a dual boot whenever I feel like playing with it though. Love Ubuntu :thu:

• Members
I was a fool and downloaded a {censored} ton of music through itunes, and let itunes convert a lot of my collection into their file format.
:cry:
So until itunes comes to linux im kinda stuck... (any converters out there?)

I do have it on here as a dual boot whenever I feel like playing with it though. Love Ubuntu
:thu:

This is the best I found on short notice.

If you already have a sizable collection of mp4 files that you want to integrate into a Linux library, you can always do it the hard way. In iTunes, if you burn a CD with all the tracks from the same album, then iTunes will include necessary information for other music software to identify the CD. You can then rip the CD just like any other audio CD. This is a very tedious way to go about transferring a music library, but it works if you have only a few albums that you really want to add to your Linux collection.

• Members

I deleted XP from my laptop and stuck Ubuntu on it a few months ago. I'll be putting the latest version on next week. No regrets at all. Wireless works perfectly, zero issues at all, and it runs so much faster than XP.

This x1000

Compared to Vista x1000000

• Members

I do most of my casual computing on an Ubuntu machine now. Use my XP machine for games and work stuff that I can't do as easily on Linux (particularly a work related website that only renders properly in IE :mad:

The biggest issue for new users is that if something doesn't work out of the box it can sometimes be a pain to get it going if you're not familiar with how everything works. Audio and/or video is usually the culprit. Although I've had very little trouble getting either to work on several different sets of hardware. Chances are you'll be able to install it and just about everything will fire up and work just fine out of the box. And much like Macs, since hardly anyone uses Ubuntu compared to Windows there just aren't that many virii out there to infect it so AV isn't that big of an issue right now. I've even gone pron diving with mine and had no virus yet. :lol:

And Wine is getting to the point where a lot of things work really well with it. I was able to get Reaper running without too much trouble, plugins and all.

Archived