Your Top 5 ESSENTIAL (Affordable) Pedals...

rebelzed

• Members

So I'm a relative noob to pedals and am looking to invest in a few soon. There's a bazillion pedals out there, so I figured I'd try to get a little direction before I went blindly testing things out. I'd like to stay on the lower end of the price spectrum, preferably $150 or less each. I'd like an overdrive (blues), distortion, fuzz, maybe a wah/envelope filter, and maybe one or two more.

That being said, what would your Top 5 pedals be according to those criteria (loosely)? Help a noob out :poke::thu:

• Members

Aww, man! That's awesome. i can't wait.

What pickups do you have in there, mate?

a wilkinson in the bridge and a bridge pickup out of a 'vintage' (brand) SG in the neck wired out of phase with both pickups on. :lol:

• Members

Agreed.

And more Monsterpiece, which is my essential affordable fuzz of choice.

Melx, that vid sounded fantastic
:thu:

thanks :thu: cheap pickups, cheap guitar, cheap amp, cheap fuzz pedal recorded on a cheap samsung stills camera ... it works for me. :lol:

anyway, I can't really pick just five

but look at EHX, MXR, DOD, BOSS, danelectro, Ibanez ... lots of good affordable pedals there.

also Mellowtone and some of the other stuff at fuzzhugger is well priced.

oh, and 'madebymike' too.

• Members

Hardwire covers most of the traditional essentials quite nicely for me. All the EHX & other stuff is for psychedelic expeditions/noise lab/sci fi/ghost drone/effectology/etc. I'll definitely second the Magicstomp recommendation, as that will surely turn you on to certain effect types you might not have otherwise considered.

• Members

So I'm a relative noob to pedals and am looking to invest in a few soon. There's a bazillion pedals out there, so I figured I'd try to get a little direction before I went blindly testing things out. I'd like to stay on the lower end of the price spectrum, preferably $150 or less each. I'd like an overdrive (blues), distortion, fuzz, maybe a wah/envelope filter, and maybe one or two more.

That being said, what would your Top 5 pedals be according to those criteria (loosely)? Help a noob out :poke:
:thu:

Here's my guitar board (Boss unless otherwise stated):

TU-2 tuner/mute -> CS-3 compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 OD -> Hardwire SC-2 Dist -> CEB-3 chorus

The Hardwire OD is pretty good at just about any overdriven sound you want from it. Likewise, the Valve Distortion pedal is very versatile, and sounds great.

The CEB-3 is the only chorus I have. It's analog (but buffered) and produces a true stereo chorus that is pretty versatile. Pretty good overall both on guitar and bass, but you can probably get better.

The ODB-3, used for guitar, is a pretty high-gain pedal that can get you a good fuzz, but it's really finicky to set up a good tone for guitar (it's a bass pedal after all).

I put the CS3 in my lineup largely because at the time my board was all-Boss. I have since learned the error of at least some of those decisions, but am unwilling to pay for another compressor. It really isn't necessary if you've got good distortion (which will compress the tone quite a bit anyway), unless

you play a lot of 80's metal.

My wishlist:

Hardwire Stereo Reverb

Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah ($250, I am assured it's worth every penny)

• Members

OD: boss od2 - ive only had 3 od pedals and this is my favorite. i prefer amp od

dirt- turbo rat

fuzz- muff, one of the $95 devi ever pedals

wah-i would spent the extra $20 and get the dunlop/cae wah

other: ibanez de7, tuner, boss ge7, digitech pds20/20,

Archived