Your Top 5 ESSENTIAL (Affordable) Pedals...

rebelzed

• Members

So I'm a relative noob to pedals and am looking to invest in a few soon. There's a bazillion pedals out there, so I figured I'd try to get a little direction before I went blindly testing things out. I'd like to stay on the lower end of the price spectrum, preferably $150 or less each. I'd like an overdrive (blues), distortion, fuzz, maybe a wah/envelope filter, and maybe one or two more.

That being said, what would your Top 5 pedals be according to those criteria (loosely)? Help a noob out :poke:
:thu:

1. Boss SD-1

2. Any Dano Cool cat pedal

3. Any old DOD pedal

4. Rat

5. big muff

6. Crybaby

• Members

Wow, at $150 a pedal, the sky is the limit. The only stompbox that I have that I've spent more than that on was my DMM (200 bux). Right now, I'm digging:

fuzz - Spaghetti Western Fuzz and/or a Muff variant (there are millions of these for less than $150)

o/d - Fulldrive 2

comp - Boss CS-2

delays - Boss DD7 and Aqua Puss Reissue. Delays, imo, are pedals that you kinda do see decent returns when you break the $150 threshold. Yeah, the DE-7 and the Memory Boy/Toy are great at

I also use a lot of modulation pedals usually, and you really don't have to spend a {censored}ton to get good ones.

• Members

thats pretty much accurate right there.. barring a few choice pedals I'd add for personal tastes... cant get much better than that tho.

Which pedals would you add? I may just have those pedals. The pedals on my pedalboard are just a few of what I have;)

• Members

So I'm a relative noob to pedals and am looking to invest in a few soon. There's a bazillion pedals out there, so I figured I'd try to get a little direction before I went blindly testing things out. I'd like to stay on the lower end of the price spectrum, preferably $150 or less each. I'd like an overdrive (blues), distortion, fuzz, maybe a wah/envelope filter, and maybe one or two more.

That being said, what would your Top 5 pedals be according to those criteria (loosely)? Help a noob out :poke:
:thu:

Dirts:

Boost: MXR Micro Amp ($40-$70 used)

OD: Boss OD3 ($40-$50 used)

Dist: Micro Amp before OD3 :lol:, but if you MUST have a dist pedal: ProCo Rat/Turbo Rat ($70-$250 used depending make/model; easily find a good one in your range)

Fuzz:Monsterpiece "Classic" an excellent ge FF clone ($125 brand new and customized!)

Delay: Ibanez DE7 (best cheap delay EVVVAH; ~$50 used)

Phaser: Small Stone (

Trem: Boss TR-2 (

Reverb: Holy Grail (

That set up would cost about $500-$700 give/take and I would rock it ERY DAMN DAY without any remorse.

• Members

OD - Dano transparent OD, Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss OD3

Distortion - Rat, Dano cool cat drive

Chorus - Dano cool cat chorus (current version), Arion SCH-Z

Delay - Ibanez DE7, Boss DD3, EHX memory toy, Digitech Digidelay

Filter - Digitech Bass synth wah (good as an octaver and a filter, works well on guitar, guitar version doesn't have the octaver IIRC)

Reverb - Marshall reflector

Trem - Dano cool cat or tuna melt

EQ - Dano fish and chips.

I own all of these except a DE-7 and the cool cat trem. All are very, very good.

Steve

• Members

DOD 440: You won't find it under $150. Blame Radiohead. But the MojoHand Analogue Filter 442 is supposedly the exact clone of the circuit. The one I had was built by Brian Marshall (of Subdecay Studio) who is a builder/circuit designer you can fully trust. It's the most musical sounding envelope filter I've heard.

Proco Rat: My favourite distortion by far.

Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop OD: Never tried it, but within your budget range (maybe slightly over). Hearing is believing. In my wishlist right now.

[YOUTUBE]hRItWS9zj1Y[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Barber Direct Drive (sweet drive pedal)

Ibanez DE-7 (you need a little delay in your life. It's only $40-50 used anyhow)

Small Stone (A phaser. I consider phasers to be a type of filter so)

Monsterpiece MKII or NPN (both sweet fuzz pedals that have a variety of sounds :cool:)

Boss PS-3 (for all your weird sounds; reverbish, chorus, pitch shifting, some nice delay, etc..)

Archived