Why aren't parametric EQs more popular than graphic EQs?

Operator

• Members

Yeah I'd agree. EQ's generally not something guitarists want to spend a lot of time on, so graphic is quick and easy.

I find this confounding considering how much tedious, meticulous consideration seems to go into the average guitarist's "tone." You'd think a powerful EQ pedal would be the first thing to get into. :idk:

• Members

I find this confounding considering how much tedious, meticulous consideration seems to go into the average guitarist's "tone." You'd think a powerful EQ pedal would be the first thing to get into.
:idk:

figure something out vs. buy that vintage mojo deluxe memory screamer

• Members

amps have a shelf eq like car radios. parametric eq's allow you to select the specific frequencys you want to boost or cut.

Care to explain this? I'm showing my noobliness, but how does an amp's EQ differ from a parametric EQ, I always thought they were essentially one in the same (I've never used a parametric EQ in a guitar signal chain.)

• Members

parametric eq's allow you to select the specific frequencys you want to boost or cut.

along with the Q. (regardless of whether or not amps use "legit" parametric eq, it's rare that you see one that lets you choose frequency and especially Q.)

• Members

Care to explain this? I'm showing my noobliness, but how does an amp's EQ differ from a parametric EQ, I always thought they were essentially one in the same (I've never used a parametric EQ in a guitar signal chain.)

what i know about eq's is from playing with my boss eq's (ge7, pq4) and a class i took this spring. this is my understanding of it.

shelving eq: each respected control (bass and treble) is assigned a set freq (for the sake of example, say 100hz for bass, and 10khz for treb) the knob either cuts or boosts the freqs within the specified bandwidth.

parametric: a parametric eq is kind of like a shelving eq except for more tweekability and control. each band of a para eq allows you to select a center freq, adjust how wide or narrow the affected area is (the freq on either side of the center freq) and then a control to adjust the amout of boosting or cutting.

one way to look at it is this. a para eq is like cutting something with a scalpal. you have alot of freedom to make fine cuts but requires more skill to effectivly use. while a shelving eq is a butchers knife. its easier to use, but does not offer the flexibility for fine tuning that the scalpal does.

this is probably the most incoherent responce in hcfx history so hopefully phil will come help explain this better.

amps have a shelf eq like car radios. parametric eq's allow you to select the specific frequencys you want to boost or cut.

AND they allow you to adjust the Q, or bandwidth of the frequencies you are going to boost or cut.

The problem with doing a parametric EQ in a pedal sized enclosure is the amount of knobs you need. To do a TRUE parametric EQ, you need three knobs: Boost / Cut, Frequency and Q. Take away the Q and you have a semi or pseudo parametric - adjustable frequency, fixed bandwidth. You can select the frequency you want to boost or cut, but not how much that boost or cut will affect the surrounding frequencies. Narrow bandwidth filters are great for reducing 50-60 Hz hum, while wider bandwidths are nice for tonal shaping and boosting.

But even with a three knob pedal, you only have a single band parametric - most studio parametrics have at least two, and usually three or four bands to allow you to adjust various parts of the frequency spectrum simultaneously. With just one band, you can only adjust one "part" of the frequency spectrum. Depending on how "wide" you have that Q set, it might be a pretty big (two or three octaves) part of the spectrum, but compared to a six or ten band graphic EQ, with sliders at (typically) 2/3 or one octave intervals, they cover "less" of the audible frequency range at once.

True parametric EQs are pretty UNcommon on guitar amps, although they do pop up occasionally on bass amps. Most guitar amp EQ is fixed frequency shelving and/or peak / dip.

• Members

figure something out vs. buy that vintage mojo deluxe memory screamer

Nah, the vintage mojo deluxe memory screamer was popular 2 months ago. It's had it's run, but most people are looking for something more than what it offers. The Turbo Distortionator Butt Probation Fuzz Screamer is all the rage. And it's not hard to see why. It's got a graphic EQ, for one.

• Members

In my experience parametric EQ only really has two uses with live guitar sound.

One being a fixed wah kind of effect

another being able to carve out a notch for amplified acoustics to reduce feedback.

In general a 7 band graphic EQ is going to be more useful than a single band parametric EQ on guitar. A mutiband parametric would require a {censored} ton of knobs.

Also with a graphic EQ you can look at it, and very quickly tell what the settings are.

• Members

In my experience parametric EQ only really has two uses with live guitar sound.

One being a fixed wah kind of effect

another being able to carve out a notch for amplified acoustics to reduce feedback.

In general a 7 band graphic EQ is going to be more useful than a single band parametric EQ on guitar. A mutiband parametric would require a {censored} ton of knobs.

Brian, would you be willing to faux one of those PQ-9/rips, if the cake were proper??? I sure would like one, yet ain't going tgp $, of the bay $, ???

• Members

Brian, would you be willing to faux one of those PQ-9/rips, if the cake were proper??? I sure would like one, yet ain't going tgp $, of the bay $, ???

I actually did build a parametric EQ around 99/2000. Back when i was way more into recording. it never actually quite worked right. It was meant for line level input though.

anyway, no plans to do a parametric EQ right now... although they really aren't that hard to do. The filter in the prometheus/proteus could be adapted pretty easily with a few extra parts.

In reality though good parametric EQ's require a lot of headroom... more than you'll get out of 9 volts, or maybe even 18.

• Members

I actually did build a parametric EQ around 99/2000. Back when i was way more into recording. it never actually quite worked right. It was meant for line level input though.

anyway, no plans to do a parametric EQ right now... although they really aren't that hard to do. The filter in the prometheus/proteus could be adapted pretty easily with a few extra parts.

In reality though good parametric EQ's require a lot of headroom... more than you'll get out of 9 volts, or maybe even 18.

Right on, appreciate it, I'll inqiure your thoughts and see if I cant get near the end...

Archived