What's the best pedal for metal, in your opinion?

axuality

• Members

It's pricey, but I still really like my Emma PisdiYAUwot.

XscZPYKzXIQ

He could probably get by with a Monte Allums modded MT-2 or something though. That'd probably cost you about half what the Emma would.

If you do go for the Emma, I think Ben_Allison has one for sale for a good price. He's Canadian though, so watch out. :p

• Members

I've heard great things of the Suhr Riot. I love the Ibanez Tube King.

+1

The suhr riot can get great JCM800 tones

A good rule of thumb for pedals for medal: avoid anything with "Metal" in the name. There's a couple that are alright but for the most part they're all buzzy, mid-scooped crap marketed to kids that don't know any better

• Members

A good rule of thumb for pedals for medal: avoid anything with "Metal" in the name. There's a couple that are alright but for the most part they're all buzzy, mid-scooped crap marketed to kids that don't know any better

Agree. FWIW though, the Emma doesn't suffer from that at all. I've also heard great things about the Zvex Box of Metal, though I haven't used one.

Those two are both voiced more toward modern metal type sounds, though. Recto's & 5150's. The Riot sounds more classic to my ears... at least from the clips.

The MI Audio Crunch Box is also worth consideration if you're looking for high-gain Marshall tones on a budget.

• Members
Agree. FWIW though, the Emma doesn't suffer from that at all. I've also heard great things about the Zvex Box of Metal, though I haven't used one.

Perhaps I should've added something like "unless the pedal costs >$300" :cop:

• Members

Perhaps I should've added something like "unless the pedal costs >$300"
:cop:

Got mine for $220. :p

(And you can too... order from Tunnelvisionmusic.com and use the code "tonezone" at checkout for 10% off.)

• Members

He could probably get by with a Monte Allums modded MT-2 or something though. That'd probably cost you about half what the Emma would.

If you do go for the Emma, I think Ben_Allison has one for sale for a good price. He's Canadian though, so watch out.
:p

This.

Also Montgomery Appliances makes a KILLER distortion pedal. "So Much Devastation." I absolutely love it with all my amps. It can do just about any style of metal you want.

sGNMWn0-_Hw

This video made me order mine. Best money I've ever spent on a distortion box.

The only thing else I'd recommend is I can get a pretty good tight focused and heavy sound out of my musket fuzz.

Archived