Any history nerds in here?

cobalt-60

• Members

A friend of mine whose studying to be an archeologist told me once that the founding fathers never wanted to be made into icons and would be very upset to know their faces wound up being carved into mountains and put on money.

So, I really want to find a sweet quote on this, and you know, but it in a cartoon bubble pointing to their face on Mount Rushmore. Cause I'm punk like that. Anyone know one, or where to look?

Yes, I asked him, I'm waiting for a response. Thought I'd give you guys a shot too.

• Members

washington warned against forming political parties and being involved in foreign affairs. naturally we did the opposite

He mentioned that too in the same conversation. I knew the later, but found the former interesting. I would like to see a specific quote on that too, but I really want to find "hey, don't put actual people on the money".

I've found some amazing quotes, but most of them are too wordy for what I want to do, unfortunately. Like this...

"As riches increase and accumulate in few hands, as luxury prevails in society, virtue will be in a greater degree considered as only a graceful appendage of wealth, and the tendency of things will be to depart from the republican standard. This is the real disposition of human nature; it is what neither the honorable member nor myself can correct. It is a common misfortunate that awaits our State constitution, as well as all others."

Alexander Hamilton, speech to the New York Ratifying Convention, June, 1788

I got a bunch more, but don't want to turn this to a political thread.

• Members

also, one of my favorite US history topics. war of 1812 IIRC. british navy had a practice of "impressment" where they would capture american vessels and put the crews of said ships into the service of the british navy. all that had to do with an embargo of american ships in france and britain i think (its been a while) so congress passed the non-intercourse act so that american ships could trade with any country except britain and france

tl;dr

the british were taking american sea men so they passed the non-intercourse act. history is fun.

• Members

washington warned against forming political parties and being involved in foreign affairs. naturally we did the opposite

It's not like it was a purposeful effort to contradict Washington. The USA has tons of experience with both isolationist and foreign interventionist policies.

Also, I don't know the answer to the OP, but I'm a total history nerd :wave:

Archived