Oh no, another Tubescreamer thread

scolfax

• Members

I have three OD's, and have owned many more, but have never owned a Tubescreamer. Actually I did have a VS Jekyll&Hyde but never thought the Overdrive side sounded like a TS. Now that I think about it I also had an original BBE Green Screamer that I really liked. Why did I sell that?

Anyway, so now I think I want one, and I've narrowed my choices down to these:

- Maxon OD9 Pro +

- Analogman Maxon OD-9 / 808 (not silver)

- Maxon OD9

- Fulldrive2 Mosfet

The Pro+ made it to the top of the list after reading about it on the Maxon site, reading a thread comparing it positively against the Fulldrive2, and even more after listening to this:

Cu22N450I5U

What do you guys think? This pedal will be paired with my Fender Pro Jr, played through with a Strat w/ vintage-style pickups.

• Members

Check out this Maxon if you haven't already:

http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=ST-9ProPlus

I have a new one I'm sending back to Tonefactor - I got a Rockbox Boiling Point unexpectedly so the Maxon is sort of redundant. If you're interested PM me, I'll give you a better price than a new one.

This pedal is really nice though, runs on 9v or 18, has a bass boost that really gives it a nice bottom end, and has a surprising amount of gain to it. Plus separate controls to control the mids and treble, and quite a bit of volume on tap. I think it's one of the better TS type pedals around right now.

• Members

Interesting, thanks for the replies. The one reason I didn't pick the BYOC is that I didn't want to do it myself, and assembled it doesn't save that much more over the Analogman. Surprised nobody has mentioned the Fulldrive - maybe that's more of a TGP favorite.

Anyway, still leaning towards a Maxon, but staying open minded. CMatmods isn't a brand that I know anything about - but the reviews on this pedal are outstanding.

• Members

Interesting, thanks for the replies. The one reason I didn't pick the BYOC is that I didn't want to do it myself, and assembled it doesn't save that much more over the Analogman. Surprised nobody has mentioned the Fulldrive - maybe that's more of a TGP favorite.

Anyway, still leaning towards a Maxon, but staying open minded. CMatmods isn't a brand that I know anything about - but the reviews on this pedal are outstanding.

I had the Super Signa Drive, and frankly didn't like it. The regular version gets great reviews, I think in part because it is good, but also very fairly priced. But I like the tone from the Maxon significantly more.

A lower gain overdrive I really liked is the Lovepedal Eternity Fuse. It has a 3 way toggle to give you different options, but it sounded great. No mid hump, and no lack of bass. It doesn't have a ton of gain though. One of the more usable volume controls that I've come across. Meaning you can use it beyond 9 oclock.

• Members

A lower gain overdrive I really liked is the Lovepedal Eternity Fuse. It has a 3 way toggle to give you different options, but it sounded great. No mid hump, and no lack of bass. It doesn't have a ton of gain though. One of the more usable volume controls that I've come across. Meaning you can use it beyond 9 oclock.

I'm not a big fan of Lovepedal. I tried one of their expensive pedals and it was weak. Also, I want a midhump w/ my Fender amp. I have a non-midhump OCD for my non-midhump Mesa.

Checking out the MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe vids now.

• Members
BYOC OD-2

24751_10150162945790397_820950396_116659

:thu:

Tell me about this. I ditched my Fulldrive years ago, and recently dusted off my Bad Monkey, and was digging it, but the buffer screws with some of my other pedals.

I'm considering that or the GGG screamer. Did you go MOSFET, or regular?

• Members

Tell me about this. I ditched my Fulldrive years ago, and recently dusted off my Bad Monkey, and was digging it, but the buffer screws with some of my other pedals.

I'm considering that or the GGG screamer. Did you go MOSFET, or regular?

Gearmandude seems to like it:

37RfgSdn53w

It costs more than a Fulldrive2 if you want them to assemble it for you with all of the bells and whistles.

• Members

That's fine. I really like the whole DIY thing for amps and pedals. :thu: It's a great feeling to play something you've made as good or better than anything you can buy for a sane amount of money. :)

• Members

I didn't know the SSD was considering a "tube screamer" type pedal. I actually just traded a DLS for a SSD, and I've never played an SSD before. I'm excited to get it, and I'm really intrigued by the independent boost.

• Members

I didn't know the SSD was considering a "tube screamer" type pedal. I actually just traded a DLS for a SSD, and I've never played an SSD before. I'm excited to get it, and I'm really intrigued by the independent boost.

The independent boost on this pedal is a nice one, and a real plus to have if you need it. My main gripe with the SSD is that the volume was hard to control. Like at 9 oclock, it was way past unity, and hard to dial in for me. FOr live use perhaps this is desirable.

• Members

The independent boost on this pedal is a nice one, and a real plus to have if you need it. My main gripe with the SSD is that the volume was hard to control. Like at 9 oclock, it was way past unity, and hard to dial in for me. FOr live use perhaps this is desirable.

Have you also tried the OD2? How similar are they in tone?

Damn... seems like every time I end up getting what I think is exactly what I want, I end up finding something even better. Basically the SSD appealed to me so much because of the 3-band eq and the independent boost. Now that I know the OD2 has one of those I might have to keep my eyes open.

Oh well I suppose... OD2's are hard to find used anyways.

• Members

I built an OD2 kit w/ a some extra mods. I've also built several 808 clones w/ BYOC PCBs and GGG PCBs w/ Mods.

A friend of mine had an Analogman-modded Maxon OD9, but wasn't happy w/ it. He came over and played one of my modded clones and it clearly blew away the OD9. He really liked the LED clipping mod.

Both the pedal I ended up making him (808 w/ stock and LED clipping - and a second footswitch for a SHO clone), and the OD2 I made were better (according to him) than the OD9. Also, he had a King of Tone v2 and the pedals I made could pretty much cop those toanz. He played through a Fender tube amp, but I forget which one. Maybe a blues deluxe or something.

I'm obviously partial to the BYOC OD2. If you can DIY, find one, or find someone to make you one, you should be pretty happy.

• Members

Have you also tried the OD2? How similar are they in tone?

Damn... seems like every time I end up getting what I think is exactly what I want, I end up finding something even better. Basically the SSD appealed to me so much because of the 3-band eq and the independent boost. Now that I know the OD2 has one of those I might have to keep my eyes open.

Oh well I suppose... OD2's are hard to find used anyways.

I have not tried one. Sometimes having a pedal with a 3 band EQ is a double edge sword. You think it will give you more options, which it does, but you will often find out you have to tweak it a lot, depending on the amount of gain you use. Whereas the Rockbox Boiling Point that I'm using now, has a switch for a slight bass boost (basically a single coil/humbucker switch) and a single tone knob, that I find I use to give me a bit more treble. The mids and bass are perfect to me, very little need to tweak, just the amount of gain that I want to use. The SSD I had a hard time getting just right, and I think the EQ is part of that. Others may love it though, so it's just personal preference, as it often is.

• Members

wait... so you HAVEN'T tried one, but you had a hard time getting the eq just right on the SSD?

The reason that I am so attracted to the 3-band is because of the BYOC Shredder I got. I find that I don't have a hard time setting so much as just matching it to whatever amp/cab I'm playing through.

Either way I'm still excited about the SSD. We'll see how I like it because I don't expect finding a good deal on an OD2 anytime soon.

• Members

wait... so you HAVEN'T tried one, but you had a hard time getting the eq just right on the SSD?

The reason that I am so attracted to the 3-band is because of the BYOC Shredder I got. I find that I don't have a hard time setting so much as just matching it to whatever amp/cab I'm playing through.

Either way I'm still excited about the SSD. We'll see how I like it because I don't expect finding a good deal on an OD2 anytime soon.

I had a Super Signa Drive for a while. I have not owned the OD2. I don't know anything about that pedal really.

Archived