Joanna Newsom. Fanbois?

amarr1

• Members
Heh, I think that quirks actually add to certain musicians' charm. The only other alternative is that everything and everyone sounds exactly like everyone else and succeeds on the typical terms.

That's not what I'm asking for, and its not what I was trying to say.

There are plenty of ways to be original, timeless, have strong song writing, and still avoid being gimmicky. When people can't think of any they end up like Joanna, get a ten from Pitchfork, ride the inflatable hype bubble for 5 minutes, and are subsequently discarded. A whole bunch of middle class bedroom kids will lap it up, thinking the whole time they're listening to something "really important", like its the {censored}ing audio equivalent to the moon landing for our generation, then they'll see another shiny "10" pop up out of the Pitchfork opinion factory and they're on to the next thing.

While we're at it, how the {censored} can people RATE music in the first place. Leave it to talentless, self important music critics, who've probably never picked up an instrument, to turn human expression into a sporting event........ :facepalm:

• Members

There are plenty of ways to be original, timeless, have strong song writing, and still avoid being gimmicky. When people can't think of any they end up like Joanna, get a ten from Pitchfork, ride the inflatable hype bubble for 5 minutes, and are subsequently discarded. A whole bunch of middle class bedroom kids will lap it up, thinking the whole time they're listening to something "really important", like its the {censored}ing audio equivalent to the moon landing for our generation, then they'll see another shiny "10" pop up out of the Pitchfork opinion factory and they're on to the next thing.

While we're at it, how the {censored} can people
RATE
music in the first place. Leave it to talentless, self important music critics, who've probably never picked up an instrument, to turn human expression into a sporting event........
:facepalm:

I can agree that I generally dislike Pitchfork too. Someone like Kate Bush, to me, has always tried pretty hard to be weird and {censored}ed up, but here's the thing--if what seems like a "gimmick" to some is really the artists' natural style, I think that's cool. I mean, there's only so many people that you can have doing the exact, straight up sound. There's some bands that I really like--like the Flaming Lips, for example--that I think that some of the quirkiness is forced or intentionally laboured over, but I really like the style and like the overall persona (if it is a persona, that is), even if it's not necessarily 100 percent authentic of how it normally would come out. I like a little fantasy, a little fiction in both songs and bands and songwriters. Not all the time, mind you, but I do like the medium of music as being non-linear and getting to express an inner voice that may not have otherwise transpired the way that it would have.

• Members

Her voice was never a deal breaker for me - it's not that weird, IMO. The strange thing is that as time has passed, her voice has become less eccentric sounding and more traditional/controlled. That makes me think that it was not so much a contrived attention thing, but simply a result that her voice was awkward and hadn't really matured or caught up with her.

Anyways, her musicianship beyond that is pretty solid and she really does have a great deal of depth of knowledge in her work. The entirety of the first album is her voice as well as her own accompaniment, which is on either harp, piano, or harpsichord. There's nothing for her to hide behind, and it really shows that the girl can {censored}ing play.

Beyond that she, to the best of my understanding, studied composition and creative writing and, lyrically, has some both profound and clever {censored} to say.

This is an old song, these are old blues
And this is not my tune, but it's mine to use. . .
And down where I darn with the milk-eyed mender
You and I, and a love so tender
Stretched on a hoop where I stitched this adage:
"Bless our house and its heart so savage"

And a personal favorite of mine, pretty sharp. . .

And Gabriel stands beneath forest and moon.
See them rattle and boo, see them shake, see them loom.
See him fashion a cap from a page of Camus;
see him navigate deftly this side of the blue.

Have you guys listened to Ys? Between the elaborate dreamlike storytelling, the extended (roughly 10 minute), winding song structures, and the remarkable orchestration it's a very impressive accomplishment for any songwriter or modern musician. I can understand someone not liking her voice or thinking her aesthetic may be a little contrived, but she's a gifted, gifted individual and I couldn't reasonably see classifying her as another hyped Pitchfork darling.

• Members

There's some bands that I really like--like the Flaming Lips, for example--that I think that some of the quirkiness is forced or intentionally laboured over, but I really like the style and like the overall persona (if it is a persona, that is), even if it's not necessarily 100 percent authentic of how it normally would come out.

I've never got that impression from Wayne Coyne that the quirkiness is forced out of him. He's natural. It's like Noel Gallagher in interviews. It just flows. Perhaps the problem is that we live in times where there are thousands and thousands of people taking on a persona, be it your corporate image, your media persona, or even your online posting bull{censored} in an effects forum persona, and it makes it harder to recognise those whose persona is natural and effortless.

• Members

I loved her from the first time I heard Book of Right-On, which was also the first time I ever listened to her. I can really see why people have problems with her voice and I think you either love or hate it.
Never the less, nobody can argue with the fact that she is an absolutely amazing musician.

• Members

While we're at it, how the {censored} can people
RATE
music in the first place. Leave it to talentless, self important music critics, who've probably never picked up an instrument, to turn human expression into a sporting event........
:facepalm:

Your opinion is right but your target is wrong. Like way wrong. Like peeing into your own face wrong.

• Members

it's also how her lyrics are entire stories. they're like theatre recitals. none of that chorus verse chorus verse repeating lyrics bull{censored}

I can't say I've heard anything yet that made me want to buy an album; but this thread fails - less talk, more pics:

joanna-newsom-annabel-mehran.jpg

oh holy {censored} she's attractive, god damn..

• Members

Perhaps the problem is that we live in times where there are thousands and thousands of people taking on a persona, be it your corporate image, your media persona, or even your online posting bull{censored} in an effects forum persona, and it makes it harder to recognise those whose persona is natural and effortless.

That's true. With some people/ artists/ musicians--even actors--sometimes I can't tell what's a character, and what's really them.

• Members

Your opinion is right but your target is wrong. Like way wrong. Like peeing into your own face wrong.

The existence of Joanna Newsom as anything but a coffee shop oddity in Bum{censored} Nowhereville is a direct result of taste maker online publications and people hungry for predigested fashion opinions. Period.

This isn't to say that there aren't people who truly appreciate the sort of thing that she does, or to take a massive dump on your opinion of her music. It's more commentary on the fact that whatever the {censored} it is that she does now has an artificially large audience. The fact that we're talking about her on an effects forum in the first place is a freaking anomaly, attributable to the disproportionate power that taste makers (like Pitchfork) have taken in the midst of the sinking music industry's vacuum. She will return to being a coffee shop oddity in a few years, max.

• Members

The existence of Joanna Newsom as anything but a coffee shop oddity in Bum{censored} Nowhereville is a direct result of taste maker online publications and people hungry for predigested fashion opinions. Period.

This isn't to say that there aren't people who truly appreciate the sort of thing that she does, or to take a massive dump on your opinion of her music. It's more commentary on the fact that whatever the {censored} it is that she does now has an artificially large audience. The fact that we're talking about her on an effects forum in the first place is a freaking anomaly, attributable to the disproportionate power that taste makers (like Pitchfork) have taken in the midst of the sinking music industry's vacuum. She will return to being a coffee shop oddity in a few years, max.

yeah eff pitchfork cuz they're like scenesters and all they listen to is scenester music and like all i really have to do is just not listen to it or not go to their site but seriously its a bunch of scenesters and greedy corporations like starbucks and wendys who suck the DIY world in with their profits and clear channel clear channel clear channel. i'm so with you bro its starting to feel like demolition man where taco bell ruled the world.

• Members

Come on, how would she fit a harp that size in a coffee shop? It's made for bigger stages. ;)

• Members

This is simply not true. Her exposure may have been widened by tastemaker websites but she was vouched for by multiple songwriters (Will Oldham, Devendra Banhart, etc.) and toured for some quality acts right off the bat. That was/is a testament to her talent. From there, her fantastic songs spoke for themselves. Sure, it didn't hurt that she's quirky and memorable and happens to live in the midst of other more famously quirky and memorable folk in California but that in no way diminishes her abilities, nor does it mean that she'll be reduced to a "coffee shop oddity".

Saw her tonight, BTW. She was fantastic, although a bit too "baroque" for my tastes. I just wanted a bit of grit to her arrangements--none of the new stuff holds a candle to the immediacy of her first album and EP.

Archived