Joanna Newsom. Fanbois?

amarr1

• Members

LOVE Joanna Newsom. In addition to being super foxy, she is also a stunning musician and songwriter. Like potentially genius level in terms of her song structures and lyrical imagery.

EXHIBIT A - Hotness

Joanna+Newsom+joanna_newsom1elleoct07.jp

EXHIBIT B - Insightful, stunning musical ideas

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Beautiful song with lyrics that should be considered incredible if only for the line:

There are some mornings when the sky looks like a road

• Members

I hate it when musicians put on this completely artificial facade up. That isn't her singing voice, nobody can tell me that THAT was the first thing that came out of her mouth when she tried to sing. She's just trying to put up some ironic indie quirk for indie quirk's sake. It's dishonest.

Anyone can sing like a {censored}tard and get attention. I can make a Ralph Wiggum concept album today, but it doesn't mean its going to be relevant in 5 minutes. Joanna won't be either.

• Members

I hate it when musicians put on this completely artificial facade up. That isn't her singing voice, nobody can tell me that THAT was the first thing that came out of her mouth when she tried to sing. She's just trying to put up some ironic indie quirk for indie quirk's sake. It's dishonest.

Did Mick Jagger sing like a Brit? No. He sang like he was from the Deep South of the USA. You'd swear that was the blackest white dude ever. Was Joey Ramone from Britain? No--he was from New York, but he sang like he was British (ditto for many American singers). Johnny Cash also never shot a man in Reno. I doubt Frank Zappa ate yellow snow in which to legitimately warn people. We could go on and on.

If you're looking for artists and ideas that aren't invented or contrived in music to create a certain overall vibe that are totally representative of their surroundings in what music or style that they should be playing, perhaps you're hearing an alternate musical history than the rest of us.

Archived