EHX Effectology Special Edition Freeze Tricks

baranger1

• Members

One of my favorite things about Bill's demos is that they don't seem to have that shrill clickiness at the beginning of picked notes that I associated w/ most other EHX demos. I'm not sure if that's just the way that Larry DeMarco plays, YouTube compression, or the overall sound of EHX pedals these days but it makes me cringe.

• Members

Thanks for asking.
I am a studio player living in Chicago so 99% of what I do is for other peoples music.
I have done commercials for everything thing there is so if you have had a TV or radio in the past 20 years I have been on it!!
Record work has been for a lot of very different style acts from Brian Ferry to the Beach Boys to Aqualung to Richie Havens to Mavis Staples to John Martyn and many more.
I just did a track for Phil Collins last month
One of these days I will do something for my self!
Thanks again!
Bill

where can we find music by you ?

I would love to hear it

• Members

Thanks Viper.
A lot of the youtube demos you hear are live in a phone booth sized room at Namm with a camcorder mic crapping out at everything it hears.
Add to that the youtube audio is the worst!
It takes mids and garbles them up to the point it makes me crazy.
On top of it, when to that when I do guitar pads its ALL mids!
Mp3,s sound like final records compared to youtube audio.
They keep getting the video better but my god the audio compression is so weak.
There again the price is right and 90% of whats up there is just people talking into their camcorder.
Bill

One of my favorite things about Bill's demos is that they don't seem to have that shrill clickiness at the beginning of picked notes that I associated w/ most other EHX demos. I'm not sure if that's just the way that Larry DeMarco plays, YouTube compression, or the overall sound of EHX pedals these days but it makes me cringe.

• Members

Thanks thezeng!

Well there never is a right and wrong order for any effect but.. I like this one in the front of the chain and that,s where I place it.
The effect is mono and I often like a stereo effect at the end of the chain to widen the sound when recording.
Also if there is a modulation effect like chorus, placeing it before the freeze only freezes a very tiny bit of the chorus effects sweep.
Having the chorus after the Freeze lets it modulate the frozen signal giving it the effect that it is a very long sample or or non static sound.
I would place a compressor in front of the Freeze.

Again this all goes out the window when you sit down and experiment!
Bill

That was awesome.

Bill, do you find it better if the freeze is placed at the beginning of the chain, rather then after all effects?

Archived