What Pedals Actually Sound Like on Record

Mikoo69

• Members

I had an interesting idea for a thread. We often show off our pedalboards and rigs, though it's rare to hear the gear actually show up on a professional recording, to really hear how the pedal/amp/guitar interacts in a musical context. I hope this proves useful.

My band, "Grandfather" recently recorded our debut album @ Electrical Audio w/ Steve Albini. We are a 3 piece, guitar bass and drums + vocals. The entire record was recorded live (vocals overdubbed). There are no instrumental overdubs. Always just one guitar, no double tracking, nothing. Also, for those who don't know, Steve Albini's recording methods strive to re-create the sound of the guitar in the room as best as possible. He does not overly manipulate, eq, compress or process anything. No artificial reverb, etc. So what you are hearing is as close to the original source sound as possible. All recorded to 2" analog tape (no protools or computers in sight).

Download it for free @ http://grandfathermusic.com . Below are pictures of my amp and pedalboard (all settings are as they appear on record). Below that is a reference guide explaining which pedals were used on each song, that way you can hear them in action. Hope this proves useful to some.

34982_418979867887_11062527887_4566570_5

39021_418979837887_11062527887_4566566_4

REFERENCE GUIDE

Micing Tecnique:

Audio Technica Pro37 -> GML preamp: (captured the high end frequencies best)

RCA74 (

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The beginning of "Tremors" is just the Boss DD-6 (not the tremulator). The effect is achieved as follows: WARP Function, all other knobs at about 11 o clock. when you step on the pedal and hold it down, it infinitely repeats the source signal. this with the combination of swelling the volume knob on the guitar with my pinky, gave the sounds in the intro for tremors.

the DD-6 can be used like a piano sustain pedal, and based on the position of the volume knob, and the rate of swell, you can control the attack, decay and sustain of the note, where as the release is controlled by the footswitch being depressed or let up.

• Members

The beginning of "Tremors" is just the Boss DD-6 (not the tremulator). The effect is achieved as follows: WARP Function, all other knobs at about 11 o clock. when you step on the pedal and hold it down, it infinitely repeats the source signal. this with the combination of swelling the volume knob on the guitar with my pinky, gave the sounds in the intro for tremors.

the DD-6 can be used like a piano sustain pedal, and based on the position of the volume knob, and the rate of swell, you can control the attack, decay and sustain of the note, where as the release is controlled by the footswitch being depressed or let up.

Whoa, can the DD-20 do that?

edit: Research says 'yes' - I'll have to try that out.

• Members

im not sure if the DD-20 can do that, as the warp function was discontinued and only appears on the DD-6 (not the DD-5 or DD-7). Im sure the DD-20 can do something similar.

the same technique is used for all the swells on the record. i.e. "It's Good Enough Now" really features the technique for the whole song using volume swells, whereas the solo on "No One Knows No One" features the same technique, but not moving the volume knob, just controlling the sustain pedal.

depending on your attack, tone, and swell rate, you can get this to sound like strings, orchestras, horns, etc. layers and layers of sound.

• Members

And mastered by Bob Weston! Perfect.

This is pretty cool. The photos and infos on the recording on your site are very awesome in their detail level. As a recording nerd, i thank you for that!

Interesting singer also. :thu:

Cool stuff!

• Members

Coolest idea for a thread in a while.

true! check it out - someone who actually uses pedals and makes music with them! :lol:

nice to see an on-topic post, with cool music, and a break down of how all the effects were used on a track by track basis :thu:

• Members

thanks so much.

we are planning to tour as much as possible as soon as possible, however we are unsigned and trying to do everything ourselves at this point, so it's a slow process.

working with Albini was amazing, i would highly recommend it to anyone. we recorded and mixed a record in 3 days, thanks to his diligence and incredible talent. i'll be glad to answer any questions about the recording.

Archived