The OFFICIAL OFFICIAL OFFICIAL 2010 HCFX Mystery Tourbox Thread

Parah Salin

• Members

Okay finally got a chance to play with all the pedals this morning. Here is my verdict on what I received:

Digitech Rock Distortion - Surprisingly sounded all right. Pretty good if I ever want that scooped sound. Too bad I never do.

Toyroom Effects Loudest - Clean boost. Not much more to say. Rhcp was telling about how the knob was too close to the switch and I agree. That could be troublesome if I weren't playing barefoot.

MXR Micro Amp - Sounded a bit duller than the Loudest and I wish it weren't battery only. I would keep it if it could accept a Boss power supply.

Fab Flange - Never seen one of those pedals with my own eyes and it's average sounding but feels super cheap. Probably worth about a drink or two at the bar so I might just hang on to it because it wouldn't be worth the hassle of having to have someone over to try it and buy it.

BM/SHO - I'm assuming it's a BM clone with the Pi symbol on it. It doesn't really sound like any BM's I've owned (and I've owned quite a few). The purple side by itself is meh but if you kick it on at the same time as the blue (SHO) side then it gets sweet and nasty. I might actually hang on to this one for myself because the blue side sounds sweet as an always on kind of thing and I'd just need to kick on the purple side for extra nastiness. This paired up really well with my Marshall Class 5. Kind of on the fence though.

Dr. S Mellow Yellow Tremolo - To be honest, I'd rather have a TR-2. I'm not dissing Dr. S stuff because I love some of his other pedals but I don't think the pedal warrants the price tag it has. Keep in mind I don't think I'd ever pay more than $100 for any tremolo pedal.

Rehoused Dunlop Octavio - This pedal was pretty cool to play with but I'm not too big on octave fuzzes. Wish it had a bit more gain.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have another pedal we can add when we start the next round. It's a discontinued pedal from one of hcfx's favorite builders. It has served me well, but it won't realistically get back on my board now that my HBOD and DRD are here.

Let me know if you want it in there.

• Members

I'd love in on round 3!! :wave:

Okay finally got a chance to play with all the pedals this morning. Here is my verdict on what I received:

Digitech Rock Distortion - Surprisingly sounded all right. Pretty good if I ever want that scooped sound. Too bad I never do.

Toyroom Effects Loudest - Clean boost. Not much more to say. Rhcp was telling about how the knob was too close to the switch and I agree. That could be troublesome if I weren't playing barefoot.

MXR Micro Amp - Sounded a bit duller than the Loudest and I wish it weren't battery only. I would keep it if it could accept a Boss power supply.

Fab Flange - Never seen one of those pedals with my own eyes and it's average sounding but feels super cheap. Probably worth about a drink or two at the bar so I might just hang on to it because it wouldn't be worth the hassle of having to have someone over to try it and buy it.

BM/SHO - I'm assuming it's a BM clone with the Pi symbol on it. It doesn't really sound like any BM's I've owned (and I've owned quite a few). The purple side by itself is meh but if you kick it on at the same time as the blue (SHO) side then it gets sweet and nasty. I might actually hang on to this one for myself because the blue side sounds sweet as an always on kind of thing and I'd just need to kick on the purple side for extra nastiness. This paired up really well with my Marshall Class 5. Kind of on the fence though.

Dr. S Mellow Yellow Tremolo
- To be honest, I'd rather have a TR-2. I'm not dissing Dr. S stuff because I love some of his other pedals but I don't think the pedal warrants the price tag it has. Keep in mind I don't think I'd ever pay more than $100 for any tremolo pedal.

Rehoused Dunlop Octavio - This pedal was pretty cool to play with but I'm not too big on octave fuzzes. Wish it had a bit more gain.

You mean Mad Professor, not Dr. Scientist, but close enough. ;):lol:

• Members

As far as I could tell (and as claimed by the owner) it's a legit sovtek greenie that's been rehoused (+the SHO on the other side).

img1931p.jpg

I'll have to play with it some more. There seems to be a pretty big lack of volume. Not something you'd expect from a Big Muff. The SHO is sweet, makes me miss my old mine. Might hang on to it just because of the SHO.

Yeah, I'll make another thread for round 3. Same rules as last time. Obviously anyone who participated in the first 2 rounds are in for sure. I'm just happy everything worked out so well. Can't believe the box was first sent out 8 months ago.

• Members
Hah you didn't have to. I really wouldn't care. I'll send it out back to you tomorrow or Monday. Also, you paid $30 for shipping??
:eek:
It wouldn't fit into a large flat rate box?

Haha no worries. You let me participate, so $10 is absolutely the least I can do. Also, yeah, shipping cost a bit more than I expected, but I didn't feel like I could safely fit everything into a flat rate box anymore, and I figured I'd rather be safe than risk breaking something. It's all good though. Glad you got a chance to test out the pedals, and thanks again for doing this. :thu:

• Members

yep its a legit Sovtek Green Muff. I actually bought it from Devi Ever and it wasn't working. One of the things that was wrong with it (there were a handful) is the transistors were put in backwards at the factory. It was moddded to sound better with the SHO, used as a Musketesque pedal.

• Members

Big ups to young pedals/fuzzhugger/red panda for their contributions, you guys helped keep the box alive.

Props to anyone who traded something, good times.

Don't forget get Marcus at Young Pedals for donating the Looker! That was really cool of him!

lol I totally glazed over that sentence! haha

I was happy to help out!

• Members

I just got the box back two days ago. I listed them all last night on Craigslist. Just wanted to play with them before they're gone. I want to keep at least one. The check was cashed a while ago so any money made from the sale will just towards reimbursing me so I'm not too worried or rushed to get these sold. Whatever doesn't sell I'm probably going to use in the next box.

• Members

I just got the box back two days ago. I listed them all last night on Craigslist. Just wanted to play with them before they're gone. I want to keep at least one. The check was cashed a while ago so any money made from the sale will just towards reimbursing me so I'm not too worried or rushed to get these sold. Whatever doesn't sell I'm probably going to use in the next box.

What else are you planning on putting in the next box? :love:

• Members

Basically whatever doesn't sell. I'm also hoping other people will help donate some stuff to get the box started off.

Would love to help but taking part in this inspired me to start one over on UG so I don't have anything extra atm

• Members

Would love to help but taking part in this inspired me to start one over on UG so I don't have anything extra atm

No problem, I don't want anyone to feel obligated or anything. Good luck with the UG one! I think having the inventory and tracking numbers emailed by every person really helped keep the box on track so you should try that over there too.

Archived