Rolling Stone: The Beatles 100 Greatest Songs

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yawn. Rolling Stone dredging up the past again. I had an 18 month subscription in the past. The non-music articles were really interesting but the music featured was so boring.

I wouldn't get a subscription, but I'm pretty happy to get this particular issue.

I'm really not agreeing with "Rain" at #88 :mad:

• Members

A Day In The Life is certainly worthy of #1 (I mean come on - its a monumentally epic song), but I'd have a hard time not picking Paperback Writer - to me, it is as near perfection as any pop song has ever come.

Paperback Writer came in at 35.

Paperback Writer b/w Rain is one of the greatest singles ever released on vinyl. What a ridiculously fat electric sound they achieved - so sonically sublime.

... and yeah, A Day in the Life is tough to beat.

• Members

Man, who chooses this stuff. I want to hold your hand at 2? Meh.

And as epic as Day in the Life is, I've never liked the 'woke up, got out of bed' bit - kinda cheesy and unexciting.

But the "had a smoke, and I fell into a dream... aaahhh" transition? I can't imagine it working any other way.

I agree, I want to hold your hand was pivotal for them, but not their 2nd best song.

• Members

But the "had a smoke, and I fell into a dream... aaahhh" transition? I can't imagine it working any other way.

I agree,
I want to hold your hand
was pivotal for them, but not their 2nd best song.

Yeah, but the whole section just gets to me... 'had SSssmoke' .... takes me into McCartney cheese territory, so as much as I LOVe the orchestral swirlyness, this can never be my favourite.

Paperback Writer came in at 35.

Paperback Writer b/w Rain is one of the greatest singles ever released on vinyl. What a ridiculously fat electric sound they achieved - so sonically sublime.

... and yeah, A Day in the Life is tough to beat.

Paperback Writer at 35? Boo! :mad::cop:

And yeah - as erksin said, it's a nearly perfect pop/ rock gem. P.W. / Rain really captures the vibe of Revolver, just as Day Tripper / We Can Work It Out really nails Rubber Soul...

I think most of the stuff on their top ten list are deserving of being there... with maybe one or two exceptions. Paperback Writer being one of the biggest omissions. :cop:

Archived