New Cello Day

tape

• Members

it's actually way better construction than I thought it would be at the price ($250). the wood looks solid and high quality all over, the plastic preamp at the back is a lot less plasticky and more sturdy than I thought it would be, sound is great! the bow was also a big surprise, it's really nice wood, and way better than the practice bow I already had.

the tuners will take some getting used to. tuning is more sensitive with every little turn, and they don't "lock" like guitar tuners do. you have to push the peg into the headstock to lock it, and doing so might detune it a bit. I dont know if this is normal for cellos.

at first I thought I'd have trouble not having frets or visual cues, but it wasn't so bad. it's the type of instrument that encourages slides so being a bit off isn't a big deal, nor is it difficult to fix

• Members
cool, I didn't know you played the cello, that looks wild.

I don't, but I do play the guitar like a cello!

3332260816_78d8cf1bf0_z.jpg

I've already got the bowing and the position down. now it's a matter of having access to all strings instead of just the ones on edges (and learning how to bend the bowing position), and learning to play fretless.

• Members

EEK!

hope it works out well - $250 isn't much for just a bow (hell, a set of Larsen strings will probably set you back $140) and a bad 'cello can really fight you along the way.

don't take bowing lightly, it's a BFD -- "already have bowing down" is a pretty big statement and it's a lifelong practice.

but anyway best of luck and keep playing! it's quite a journey

• Members
Interesting. I used to play string bass in an orchestra, I wouldn't mind picking up either a cello or bass in this format. The string bass is a bitch to transport sometimes
:)

hit up the talkbass site - they have a whole EUB forum. I know there are some 5 stringers out there that might interest you with an orchestral background, but I don't know of any that come stock with a C-extender -- but that doesn't mean they aren't out there

• Members
it's actually way better construction than I thought it would be at the price ($250). the wood looks solid and high quality all over, the plastic preamp at the back is a lot less plasticky and more sturdy than I thought it would be, sound is great! the bow was also a big surprise, it's
really
nice wood, and way better than the practice bow I already had.

the tuners will take some getting used to. tuning is more sensitive with every little turn, and they don't "lock" like guitar tuners do. you have to push the peg into the headstock to lock it, and doing so might detune it a bit. I dont know if this is normal for cellos.

at first I thought I'd have trouble not having frets or visual cues, but it wasn't so bad. it's the type of instrument that encourages slides so being a bit off isn't a big deal, nor is it difficult to fix

Yeah, you'll have to push the peg in, it's normal. Also, 'getting bowing down'? :lol: HCD! :D

• Members

yeah its cheap. though shipping was another 150 :freak:
I didnt want to spend a fortune thinking maybe I wouldnt find it so hot after a little while. I'm just saying I'm surprised it feels actually sturdy. I never expected it to be anywhere near as good as "brand" cellos, but I also expected less than what I got. color me content!

it's imported from china (which would explain the price). ebay seller musicstorema

EEK!

hope it works out well - $250 isn't much for just a bow (hell, a set of Larsen strings will probably set you back $140) and a bad 'cello can really fight you along the way.

don't take bowing lightly, it's a BFD -- "already have bowing down" is a pretty big statement and it's a lifelong practice.

but anyway best of luck and keep playing! it's quite a journey

yeah maybe I exagerated about "having bowing down". but at least I can get started with some sense of it.

• Members

I'd highly recommend finding someone to take a lesson or two from. Even if it's someone who played seriously in high school or college it will make a HUGE difference in how you approach the instrument and the sound you can get out of it.

I'd love to hear some clips. If you happen to have friends who play I'd really be interested in hearing some legit playing clips too. Good luck!

Archived