eBay situation - please advise

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

I paid $99 for it before shipping. So $139 total. Those cases run $179 new with Free Shipping.

So I only saved $40 on it, which is about 1/4 off the price of a new one. That seems fair. But if you add another $9, that seems like less of a deal.

Am I wrong on this?

Well, if the price before shipping is $99 then he can hardly claim that the extra $9 covers enhanced insurance. When sending big heavy stuff like amps, the courier I use for UK and Euro delivery offers a basic

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

this. I've had situations where I sold on ebay and then went to ship and it cost more than I thought. You know what I did? I ate it up because it wouldn't be fair to the buyer who more than likely scrapped money together to get it

this. my email to seller would say suck it up, learn from your mistake.

• Members

Not to defend the seller but he is just asking. If he's not holding it hostage or threatening to terminate the sell, no real harm is being done. The guy is just throwing it out there. Never hurts to ask.

All you have to do is say either.

No. Do your homework next time and I just taught you a valuable lesson.

Yes. You suck at business logistics, but I'm a sucker with a {censored} heart, here's $9

(or) How about $4 bucks? You fail at estimating shipping, I'm nice but not a {censored}.

• Members
Not to defend the seller but he is just asking. If he's not holding it hostage or threatening to terminate the sell, no real harm is being done. The guy is just throwing it out there. Never hurts to ask.

True, though he did send me a PayPal money request. :facepalm:

I've never had one of those before, so I'm not even sure how to reject it yet.

• Members

As a seller, I will ALWAYS eat the cost if the shipping is extra. Its my responsibility to estimate the cost and its my fault if I short-change myself. I just shipped a 112 cabinet and a 112 combo amp that weighed 75lbs, neither of them cost OVER $40 to ship UPS ground insured. He screwed up and I would tell him that!:thu:

• Members

I paid $99 for it before shipping. So $139 total. Those cases run $179 new with Free Shipping.

So I only saved $40 on it, which is about 1/4 off the price of a new one. That seems fair. But if you add another $9, that seems like less of a deal.

Am I wrong on this?

No, you're right. Obviously when considering a purchase you consider how much the total out of your pocket will be. He can't quote you one thing then come back with another just because he messed up his estimate. If he's going to list fixed cost shipping, it's on him to get it right.

• Members

Was the shipping price an estimate? If he was only estimating shipping with the "buyer to pay actual shipping" he is not a complete douche for asking for the difference, though if it were me I'd just get over it....

No, it was a fixed shipping price. He stated in his email that he didn't know that shipping would be so pricey.

• Members

i would not give him the $9, no way. you've already paid $40 shipping, which is what he asked for. thats the terms of the contract, if he starts getting {censored}ty then i would leave him neutral feedback for the transaction and leave details of what happened so that other potential buyers can be aware.

its his fault, he should have got an accurate postage quote for the size and weight of the item before putting postage costs on ebay.

do not give in to him!!!

• Members

I usually keep my shipping costs low when I sell on ebay. A lot of times I lose money on shipping or just barely break even. Occasionally, I'll sell some software and it'll go for a few pennies and cost a few dollars to ship and I'll ask for additional funds, but as long as I'm posting a profit after shipping, I don't mind eating it. And if the buyer refuses to send additional money, I honor the sale because it's the right thing to do.

Also, in an effort to keep shipping costs down, I use USPS, and skimp on things like insurance and tracking, unless the buyer pays extra.

Archived