i have obtained the unobtanium... bobafrett get in here

nightraven

• Members

i'm really curious about that serial number on it, sent an email about it to slade (who apparently is the man behind the customer service and website). since 2003 is supposedly the beginning of the production it seems likely this is a special one or prototype or something.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

happy new pedal day, you got a helluva deal. i think i paid $450 for mine off of the duder who plays bass for king crimson and sold it for around the same after i didn't jive with it. considering how many units were built and were you bought it, i wouldn't be suprised if thats emil nikolaisens old unit.

• Members

that would be very cool but unfortunately i doubt it, i bought it off the original owner who's a dutch stoner who i guess was on tour in new york several years ago. not quite as awesome as meeting trey gunn :love:

i am very surprised that a schumann pedal has surfaced over on this side of the world and coincidently very close to where i used to live in holland

• Members
r.i.p. lion

:cry::facepalm:
from one day to the next it just stopped. it hasn't been moved at all or anything. maybe it will wake up again soon...

WTF, that was probably the point why i never bought a schumann pedal...

Edit: Mojoz sent!

• Members

yeah i've started poking around a little inside, along with the main circuitboard that is sort of suspended on top of the spaghetti there are two little elastic 'bags' of components that are epoxy'd to each other and to the bottom of the pedal. the builder is either completely retarded or the biggest genius in the boutique business :p

• Members
the builder is either completely retarded or the biggest genius in the boutique business
:p

Prolly genius in the ears and ****** in the building department.

[edit] never knew HCFX had a language filter... hmm... freestompboxes.org

[second edit] I guess it's not like the one at TGP.

• Members

fuzzbrite was 75 which is what they normally go for isn't it?

the guy was also asking 50 for that colorsound wah and the obscure russian fuzz thing above it (both needed fixing) but they were already sold

my mate haggled and got the dynacomp for 50 which was cool :)

• Members
P1000399.jpg

let there be light!!!

turns out the power supply was broken which is very strange. it was either that or my foxrox tzf was broken too :p :p

at the moment it's running off 9vac but it's working, thank god i didn't {censored} it up properly while i was poking around in there

i apologise to john schumann for ever questioning his build quality :cop:;)

• Members

yeah the power supply to my lion was really hummy when i got mine. really hummy, as in i was afraid that if i left it plugged into the wall it'd just ignite out of nowhere. it finally {censored} itself a few weeks after and i had to order another one through jamesco. if you need the link for another power supply give me a holler.

• Members

so when are we gonna get some clips, eh

i'll put together some 9vac clips tomorrow or on friday on my day off. really want to find a bass guitar to plug through it as well. fwiw the lion isn't a crazy fuzz like the PLL, it's a pretty standard overdrive sound that gets fuzzy with the boost. sounds really cool together with other fuzzes because it does the thing i used to do with my old deluxe big muff where i would mix in other fuzz in parallel to the distortion.

• Members

last bump, i promise
made a couple very basic clips with my strat and my tiny bright vht special 6 amp at well below bedroom levels because i'm living at uni right now. thought i would do a proper review of this pedal as well.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=939144&songID=9732452
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=939144&songID=9732454

i will try to keep as much B.S. out of this review as possible because in terms of sound it's obviously not worth the money that some people pay for it (on guitar at least), and since i didn't pay crazy amounts for it i don't mind saying it's not that great :p also in these clips it's running at 9vac rather than the recommended 12vac because the cheapo power supply died.

it's very bassy obviously, the first mode is a normal enough dark overdrive/boost kind of sound but the with the boost on it turns into fuzz/fizz. it's a very coarse kind of distortion, as in it's very 'non-smooth'.

the schumann website advertises the pedal as good at letting minor chords shine through but that's not really the case with the fuzz, it's very mushy unless you bring in the clean blend. i really like the clean blend, i had a lot of fun with that on the deluxe big muff i used to own because you could set it in front of or after other dirt pedals and mix in fuzz in parallel, and considering this has this signature rumbling fizz it mixes nicely with a distortion pedal designed for guitar.

i tried to show this with my jen harmon booster in the other clip, i couldn't get the jen to sound good at all with my sm57 so, just as an fyi, it sounds way better IRL than in that second clip :p when you stack these pedals and OD the jen it has this really cool sizzling 'moving' slushy fuzz sound as well as lots and lots of noise. another disadvantage was i forgot to turn the knobs of the lion down and after recording i went and turned it on without the jen on, and felt how loud this thing can be :lol:

i think the pedal really does need the tone controls that the lion x has, at least if it's on guitar, so if you're on the fence between this or waiting for an x to surface the x would be a better choice.

i think for what i paid for it i got a sweet deal, it's a fun pedal, i would love to try it out on bass guitar because the folk on talkbass seem to worship the red sparowes tones that this thing apparently delivers.

toanz on guitar: 4/10
mojo: 10/10 ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived