Zvex fuzz factory vs mastotron

frenchji

• Members

I'm sure this has been discussed before.. but.. whatever. Lately I've been on a quest to find a fuzz that is distinguishable from an amps natural gain or an OD pedal. I want it to sound crazy.. but yet useable. I started off with a musket fuzz.. and I was like. .eh.. then got a peppermint fuzz.. and it was getting there. Recently I got a handpainted fuzz factory.. and it's pretty close to what I want. I watch demo's of the mastotron though.. and I feel like it would be easier to use.. and obtain the sounds I'm looking for but yet be more useable. What do you guys think? Crazy.. but useable. I like sputtery.. velcro kinda a fuzz's.

• Members

Give us some ideas of the sounds you're talkin' about: the more specific the better... Certain songs, parts of songs, etc. I've never had a FF, but it seems like a lot of people can tweak that pedal to their liking. Based on my experiences, you may be looking for a Wooly Mammoth, Musket Fuzz, or one of the Skreddy's. But the more specific you can be, the better....

• Members

I already had the musket fuzz... I'm not really looking for anything in particular.. just something noticeably different than an OD. Lot's of sputter..but still a nice tone? I wish I could be more specific. I just know that I didn't like the musket fuzz.. and the peppermint fuzz was nice.. but just not what I was looking for.

• Members

I've had a Mastotron for a couple months now, but I've never played a Fuzz Factory. The Push/Relax knob really opens up possibilities on it. You can get "regular" fuzz tones, or real sputtery/glitchy fuzz tones. The bass switch is quite useful, too.

• Members

My roommate has a Fuzz Factory and I have a Mastotron.

I personally find the Mastotron much more organic and natural-sounding.

They are both highly tweak-able, but most of the settings I've dialed in on the Fuzz Factory have sounded like Muse songs. Most of the stuff you'll find on the Mastotron is more akin to The Black Keys.

• Members

For crazy fuzz I like the pink elephant. Starts at a very usable tone then gets crazier and crazier until it's near synthy. It's based on the scrambler circuit and can do octave up fuzz, but yeah, it's fun. Especially when ran into a whetstone and a hummingbird. Crazy synth sounds. If you throw a blue box into the mix you can even dial in psuedo arpegiation.

• Members

frazz dazzler

:thu: good call:thu:

Though Dr. Scientist himself said he designed the Frazz Dazzler with clean amp in mind, I find myself like it better with a dirty amp. The attack and gate is very unique. Great for sludge tone. Brick-like fuzzy distortion. Very different than a big muff.

For saggy and slow attack, I can't recommend soulsonic fx Shizzle more. It's not using bias or dropping the power to achieve the dying amp tone like most fuzzes out there, but with an additional gain stage, which is totally special. Plus it's easier to use than a fuzz factory. :)

Archived