Does anyone have the new Boss PS-6 Harmonist? Question...

Poparad

I've never had a harmonizer pedal before, besides the Boss octaver, but I was intrigued with this pedal. One thing I'd like to do with it, but I'm not clear if it can, is harmonize at a fixed interval chromatically. I know it can do the in-key stuff, but for the "Pitch Shift" mode, can it harmonize at any certain interval constantly? For example, up a perfect 5th, or up a tritone. Also, does it just transpose the original signal, or does it add an additional harmonized note, just like the key-based harmonizer mode? I've watched a few demo videos, but they focus almost exclusively on the key harmonizer and the dive-bomb tricks.

• Members

Can't answer your questions, but I'm curious about this pedal too. Have you watched the PGS video? I'm guessing you have, not sure whether it can do what you're asking or not. I might shoot an email to Andy at PGS and see if he can answer your question.

I'm working on a review of it right now. It seems you can do what you want, with some caveats. You can use the pitch shift mode to transpose by a specific static (or constant) interval - but not all intervals are available. For example, there is no 2nd / 9th.

The available Pitch Shifter mode choices are:

+3

+5

+7

+12 (+1 oct.)

+24 (+2 oct.)

+12 (+1 oct.) and -5

-12 (-1 oct.)

-24 (-2 oct.)

+7 and -5.

The Pitch Shifter mode is polyphonic, and the Key knob is inoperable in this mode / has no effect. As you can see, you do have a few choices where two intervals are produced based off the source sound. If you use the stereo outputs and select one of the dual pitch options, the two "generated" or "shifted" notes go out separate outputs. The original input or "source" sound is routed to both outputs.

Also, does it just transpose the original signal, or does it add an additional harmonized note, just like the key-based harmonizer mode?

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. :confused::o

The available Harmony mode choices are:

3rd

5th

6th

+1 oct.

3rd and 5th

3rd and -4th

-3rd, -6th

-1 oct.

-4th and -6th

+1 oct. and -1 oct.

These are all monophonic (ie: you can only play single notes - not double stops and chords), and key dependent. All major and minor keys available, and are selected with the Key knob. As with the Pitch Shift mode, when running in stereo, dual pitch options route the separate pitches to individual outputs, and the source sound is routed to both outputs.

Hope that helps. :)

Also, does it just transpose the original signal, or does it add an additional harmonized note, just like the key-based harmonizer mode?

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.
:confused::o

You answered my question there. I was wondering if it preserved the original pitch and added more notes to it (which it does), or if it was more like the Super Bend mode that just moves everything you play up or down, without leaving the original note.

I'm working on a review of it right now. It seems you can do what you want, with some caveats. You can use the pitch shift mode to transpose by a specific static (or constant) interval - but not all intervals are available. For example, there is no 2nd / 9th.

The available Pitch Shifter mode choices are:

+3

+5

+7

+12 (+1 oct.)

+24 (+2 oct.)

+12 (+1 oct.) and -5

-12 (-1 oct.)

-24 (-2 oct.)

+7 and -5.

Thanks for the details! That's what I was figuring it would do, since the PS-5 seems to function the same way. It's a shame that there isn't more freedom chromatically. There are some pretty cool intervallic sounds that work great when maintained constantly, such as +2,+5 or +4,+5.

It doesn't seem like there's anything beyond rack units that offer that kind of thing. :(

• Members

Thanks for the details! That's what I was figuring it would do, since the PS-5 seems to function the same way. It's a shame that there isn't more freedom chromatically. There are some pretty cool intervallic sounds that work great when maintained constantly, such as +2,+5 or +4,+5.

It doesn't seem like there's anything beyond rack units that offer that kind of thing.
:(

i think they learned this from a lot of comments/reviews on their PS-2; which has a mode with completely smooth pitch shift all the way up an octave.. but yeah, you can tune the pitch to anything, but a lot of people bitch about not being able to set it in tune quickly.

it was definietly a good thing for detune/very light shifting, but was quite annoying trying to find a perfect harmony on a knob with a 2 octave range!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've never had a harmonizer pedal before, besides the Boss octaver, but I was intrigued with this pedal. One thing I'd like to do with it, but I'm not clear if it can, is harmonize at a fixed interval chromatically. I know it can do the in-key stuff, but for the "Pitch Shift" mode, can it harmonize at any certain interval constantly? For example, up a perfect 5th, or up a tritone. Also, does it just transpose the original signal, or does it add an additional harmonized note, just like the key-based harmonizer mode? I've watched a few demo videos, but they focus almost exclusively on the key harmonizer and the dive-bomb tricks.

The PS-6 can do fixed intervals in pitch shift mode, and will keep the original signal if you ask it to. Best of all it tracks well (unlike the Octaver) and you can play chords at say up a fixed 5th interval. It will play down 1 or 2 octaves as well - again tracking perfectly and will do some of what the Octaver does.

The harmonizer mode is quite sophisticated and the guitar has to be in tune for it to work, plus it has to be set in key, e.g. B major or E minor (and you have to know your keys to work it :p). I think the only weakness for using a bit of gain - it needs an overdrive or distortion pedal inputting to produce clear harmonies. If you try to harmonize through an overdriven amp it doesn't do the job as well. It does 2 or 3 part harmonies.

2 other features are the s-bend, which has something like a 7 octave range, where it can be set to 'dive' or 'rise', or both at once. It's a great feature and has lots of options.

The detune feature basically produces a very nice chorus, overall this is good pedal.

Hear it here on Waives: Guitar 1 on pitch shifter, guitar 2 on detune (chorus) + some noodling using the s bend.

http://www.myspace.com/556019899

:cool:

Archived