New Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard

raffor

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would think by now most people playing with synths would have a knobby controller, making the added cost of on-board knobs less appealing.

If in fact this comes out at that price point, it's a pretty tempting device, especially with that sampling functionality.

• Members

Will the Blofeld Desktop sit on top of right side of the keyboard?

Any chance that they'll implement Blofeld Stacks, so that you

can get 50 voices if you stack with a desktop?

Where's the Compact Flash slot to store additional samples and patches :)

Since it's already designed, let's get that on the Stromberg, Doc T!!!!

Of course I would like more knobs, and would be happy to point out efficient

ways to implement it, but I also don't want to pay any more money so will happilly settle with using my BCR2000....

As said before, let's get a solid Multi Storage on this :)

Good to see Waldorf doing good...

Dave

• Members

Yes, I'm always using the BCR2000. Just one very sophisticated template, that is:

bcr2.jpg

My 5 assignable knobs ;) Works with most synths because they send ModWheel, Aftertouch, Pitchbend, Foot Controller, Breath Controller. In many synths I can assign these parameters per sound.

These are my 5 knobs for playing. I know that they do something interesting in every sound that I made.

Programming is a different cup of tea. I prefer software editors for that. But nobody can edit or program a modern digital synth during playing.

• Members

Sorry.. this is OT, but I haven't really ever gotten into wavetable synthesis... but I really want this keyboard because it looks so cool. I've read about wavetable and the differences... but how does it translate into sound? What are is advantages over other VAs?

Wavetable or Vector synthesis a'int VA. No emulation involved. The advantages and disadvantages are solely dependent on the artist preferences as they relate to their musical vision.

Personally, the joy I had with waveshaping on the PEK and the XT samples I have in Kontakt are what now have me interested in wave manipulation on said synths.

• Members

A concise control surface with dedicated knobs for each parameter is imho only possible for subtractive synths with a quite simple structure. A digital synth that allows knobs for each parameter is outdated. It doen't have enough parameters then
;)

I understand your thinking ... but let's not kid ourselves that this was done primarily to save on costs ... if not, why isn't the Stromberg sporting the streamlined interface?

I ... still ... want ... more ... knobs ...

• Members

Please help me understand what you mean.

The Stromberg will cost more to develop and mass produce. The ball is already rolling on the success of the Blofeld.

Better to expand on that success as all the parts and maintenance is already set. Fill the coffers and work up to something else after it's financially safe to do so.

Also continuing the development of their current product line with OS fixes shows commitment. A commitment the old Waldorf didn't have.

It really wouldn't surprise my if the Stromberg never gets developed or goes through another radical change. Considering the outboard myself and many others have, the extra features are now pointless. You'd likely get better results using a Blofeld run through say a TL Audio Ebony A2 or UA LA-610.

• Members

You'd likely get better results using a Blofeld run through say a TL Audio A2 or UA LA-610.

Please. For a start, the Blofeld lacks a proper envelope section for it's wavetables. And you're on crack if you prefer the Microwave II's digital filter over the Microwave I analog filter. :facepalm:

• Members

Please. For a start, the Blofeld lacks a proper envelope section for it's wavetables. And you're on crack if you prefer the Microwave II's digital filter over the Microwave I analog filter.
:facepalm:

None of the filters matter because I have a Xone VF-1 Analog filter. So a synth having an analog filter really doesn't mean squat to me and many others. Add an analog EQ and maybe now you'll start to see my point.

The envelop section can be adjusted in it's OS. No need to make a whole other synth for that.

• Members

Just for perspective, most of my sound design is done with a sequencer running.

Allerian, I think you misunderstood. It's clear that you can't do sound design without notes beeing triggered, be it by seqeuncer or manually. But I was talking about assignable knobs for playing after the sound design has been done.

I don't see how a knob loaded interface on a complex synthesizer offers advantages for playing.

I've programmed countless sounds for the Poly Evolver. During sound design I notice that increasing the amount of LFO3 while at the same time varying the frequency of oscillator 3 offers a very interesting effect. Then after the sound is finished I will forget that in a few minutes. Therefore I program the sound in a way that one of my 5 assignable knobs does exactly these 2 modulations. I can memorize, that turning one of these knobs does something intrigueing, but I cannot keep in mind witch knobs of the UI have to be moved for each sound, even less if it have to be several knobs at a time ;)

• Members

None of the filters matter because I have a Xone VF-1 Analog filter. So a synth having an analog filter really doesn't mean squat to me and many others. Add an analog EQ and maybe now you'll start to see my point.

Um, no. I prefer a filter section integrated into the synth. :lol:

And, are you aware the Blofeld lacks an eight-stage wave envelope?

• Members

Um, no. I prefer a filter section integrated into the synth.
:lol:

And, are you aware the Blofeld lacks an eight-stage wave envelope?

Then you wait on the Stromberg pipe dream while I'm integrating that Blofeld into my studio.

Don't care about that Blofeld limitation when I have Absynth FX. :lol:

• Members

Allerian, I think you misunderstood. It's clear that you can't do sound design without notes beeing triggered, be it by seqeuncer or manually. But I was talking about assignable knobs for playing after the sound design has been done.

I don't see how a knob loaded interface on a complex synthesizer offers advantages for playing.

I've programmed countless sounds for the Poly Evolver. During sound design I notice that increasing the amount of LFO3 while at the same time varying the frequency of oscillator 3 offers a very interesting effect. Then after the sound is finished I will forget that in a few minutes. Therefore I program the sound in a way that one of my 5 assignable knobs does exactly these 2 modulations. I can memorize, that turning one of these knobs does something intrigueing, but I cannot keep in mind witch knobs of the UI have to be moved for each sound, even less if it have to be several knobs at a time
;)

I'm pretty sure we're not arguing, I think we just use synths differently. My setup offers a terrific amount of kn0bbage and I use 80% of those controls all the time. There are definately other ways to get it done.

• Members

Funny, everybody wants more knobs bot nobody can say exactly which knobs and how to arrange them when it's clear that only a matrix UI is possible at all in a synth with that many parameters like a Blofeld.

If there were a Blofeld with dedicated knob for each paramter, means with around 250 knobs, everyone who sincerely worked with the synth would soon prefer the matrix version because it's much more concise and faster.

The only serious alternative to the matrix UI is a software editor because then you have knobs and display for each parameter. Or a Blofeld with 250 encoders and 250 displays for the knob values.

If I were to have my way I would add two membrane buttons to switch four dedicated ADSR knobs between Filter and Amplitude, then maybe add the option to select both simultaneously. I would also add dedicated knobs for Filter, Resonance, and one for LFO rate (then just have an option to select which LFO it is.)

Though given the price, I would hardly complain as is. I might just get one, as I have other synths to meet my knob fetish. Would be nice if they brought back the Step Sequencer.

• Members

Funny, everybody wants more knobs bot nobody can say exactly which knobs and how to arrange them when it's clear that only a matrix UI is possible at all in a synth with that many parameters like a Blofeld.

If there were a Blofeld with dedicated knob for each paramter, means with around 250 knobs, everyone who sincerely worked with the synth would soon prefer the matrix version because it's much more concise and faster.

The only serious alternative to the matrix UI is a software editor because then you have knobs and display for each parameter. Or a Blofeld with 250 encoders and 250 displays for the knob values.

Take a look at the Stromberg rendering. Waldorf managed to stay away from the matrix layout with a minimal amount of knobs for each section. Nothing approaching 250. ;) How about a similar approach? :thu:

• Members

If I were to have my way I would add two membrane buttons to switch four dedicated ADSR knobs between Filter and Amplitude, then maybe add the option to select both simultaneously.

With the current UI you have to press one button to have the 4 encoders assigned to ADSR ;)

It's however true that it would be good to edit both filter and amp envelopes at a time, or both filters. It should be possible to implement that into the current UI by a software update.

Guest Anonymous

Take a look at the Stromberg rendering. Waldorf managed to stay away from the matrix layout with a minimal amount of knobs for each section. Nothing approaching 250.
;)
How about a similar approach?
:thu:

And similar cost.

Have you used a Blofeld? The big-ish display shows a lot of info which makes it easy to program.

:thu:

• Members

And similar cost.

Pft. Whatever. :bor:

And, yes. I have used a Blofeld. The Matrix layout makes perfect sense on the desktop unit, but this is a keyboard.

BTW, the Blofeld Keyboard design in the rendering is downright laughable, with the "Blofeld grafted into the middle of a wall" look. Very "'80s, no hands on control" a la DX7, too.

Archived