Cover songs for solo set: late 70s early 80s pop songs?

Fender&EHX4ever

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe. Simple to arrange, play and sing, crowds know it and love to sing along with it, and yeah it was not only in the time period you requested and is mid / bouncy tempo and hooky as hell, but also happens to be one of the greatest pop singles ever waxed.
:wave:

You sold me. On my list of to learns.

• Members
Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe. Simple to arrange, play and sing, crowds know it and love to sing along with it, and yeah it was not only in the time period you requested and is mid / bouncy tempo and hooky as hell, but also happens to be one of the greatest pop singles ever waxed.
:wave:

we think alike Phil! Good one here.

Can I also add some Elvis Costello in there, Peace Love and Understanding, and how bout some Clash -- Lost in the Supermarket

• Members

So i have a solo gig coming up, first one in about 3 years. The client requested some Mellencamp and Springsteen in addition to some original material.

I learned Jack & Diane, and Blinded By The Light because those are songs i really dig.

Being that i have a fondness anyways for that era of music, i found myself also learning the following:

Every little thing she does is magic

Bette davis eyes

Kiss on my list

Boys of summer

Don't get me wrong

Don't dream it's over

Ive been thinking that this could be part of my performance niche, which makes total sense really. My main guitar is a 1983 USA Fender Bullet. My gigging amps are 1977 EHX Mike Matthiews Dirt Road Specials and a 1976 Freedom Amp. My main effects are vintage EHX from the same era. I have the sound in spades. Im even using my EHX DRM 32 drum machine where appropriate, which totally sounds like 1980.

So what other cover song suggestions do you guys have?

Please try to stick within these parameters:

1. Was a popular radio song between 1975 and 1987ish

2. No obscure album tracks. It doesnt mean i wont like the song, it just means i'd rather play an original than an obscure cover tune

3. A minimum of slow songs. If i'm doing covers, they should be at least mid-tempo, and preferably up-tempo

4. I like covering songs that are conducive to sing-along. I'm not going to cover a song because it has a great guitar solo, par example.

5. It doesnt have to be stripped down, as i can be creative with arrangements that work; but bear in mind that the only automation i will use are short loops, the DRM 32, and possibly the EHX Voice Box or 256 Vocoder.

Hey man, Why did you pick that Pretenders song? I like it and all, but it can be a bit monotonous... I would suggest Kid or Back on the Chain Gang...

• Members
Hey man, Why did you pick that Pretenders song? I like it and all, but it can be a bit monotonous... I would suggest Kid or Back on the Chain Gang...

I also like both "Kid" and "Back on the Chain Gang" better; but I chose "Don't Get Me Wrong" because it isn't as melancholy, it's more upbeat, it's easy to sing along with, and most importantly it works great with a looper ;)

Kid's the better song - but Don't Get Me Wrong fits your criteria better IMO.

As far as Declan Patrick MacManus is concerned, there are just so many good songs... but they've gotta be upbeat (no Alison or Shipbuilding :cry: ), so... Everyday I Write The Book. Ridiculously hooky, bouncy and easy to sing along to. Do it as a Reggae for extra indie cred. Or Maybe WSFAPLAU. Watching The Detectives if you want to be edgy. Trenchcoat and Fidora optional. Clubland if you want to be my hero. Pull that off with a beatbox and a looper live and you will be. :love: Radio would be a good choice too. Great lyrics.

Archived