Best CDs of 2010... in your opinion of course!

Stubacca

• Members

there are a few albums I like, but not much I would really call "top 10" quality. it always seems like a copout to do top 10 lists. top 10 to me should be an album with high replay value and at least 90% solid. when it's a year full of awesome music, yeah, it's cool to try to narrow it down to the best of the best, but like this year where I struggle to remember what was released it feels like I'm saying "well, if I HAVE to have 10", so I won't.

loved:

die! die! die! - form

single of the year:

foals - Spanish sahara

liked, but didn't blow me away/not really top 10 material:

autolux - transit transit (some good tracks but pretty soft/sleepy. really weak compared to Future Perfect)

deftones - diamond eyes (way better than their last few, some awesome tracks on first listen, got tired of it quickly, not a lot of replay)

gonna go through this years releases again to see what I missed. so annoying that iPods don't let you browse by year or view by album when you make a playlist.

My initial list has over 100 cds on it :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really loved the first two albums (the opening riff to Find the Real completely changed my life) but my tastes have changed since Blackbird away from the hard rock thing. You recommend?

If you're not into the hard rock thing anymore, I guess you may not be that interested, but as a great album by Alter Bridge I would definitely recommend it. It's a bit more nu metal I guess, but overall it's just really solid music. Very much building on what they've done before. Myles Kennedy's vocals are amazing as ever, and there are plenty of great riffs. :thu:

• Members

After much deliberation, my prized Album of the Year Award, coveted by many and held by few, goes to
Cough's Ritual Abuse
. Their Southern-tinged quest for Electric Wizard's vacated Dopethrone* leads us through bluesy, anguished passages, into the swamp and through acid trips, accented by some fantastic, passionate guitar leads in addition to brilliantly heavy, sludgy riffs.

Rounding out the top 5 is

2. Kvelertak's self-titled Black 'n' Roll triumph that includes influences from Mayhem to The Who, and everything in between (The Maywho)

3. Intronaut's Valley of Smoke, a great album, overcoming its lack of a drummer and bassist in any form with some fantastic songs, in particular the title track, in which they overcompensate with two bassists, and 19 drummers**.

4. Agalloch's Marrow of the Spirit, blending black metal, post-rock, and folk music far better than Taylor Swift has ever dreamed of in her decades-long career

5. Torche's Song for Singles, the band's 20 minute tribute to being stoned, drunk, and awesome. Sludge Pop has never tasted so good.

*Not saying Electric Wizard is bad. I love the E-Wiz. They just ain't gonna do Dopethrone again. C'mon.

**At least it sounds like 19 drummers, Danny Walker does WORK, son.

/thread. Valley of Smoke slays. Agalloch alllllllways delivers great tunes. Torche is one of my top favs. Kvelertak is great, anything that has art done by John Baizley is good in my book.

Off to go get Ritual Abuse now. goodbye!

• Members
After much deliberation, my prized Album of the Year Award, coveted by many and held by few, goes to
Cough's Ritual Abuse
. Their Southern-tinged quest for Electric Wizard's vacated Dopethrone* leads us through bluesy, anguished passages, into the swamp and through acid trips, accented by some fantastic, passionate guitar leads in addition to brilliantly heavy, sludgy riffs.

Rounding out the top 5 is

2. Kvelertak's self-titled Black 'n' Roll triumph that includes influences from Mayhem to The Who, and everything in between (The Maywho)

3. Intronaut's Valley of Smoke, a great album, overcoming its lack of a drummer and bassist in any form with some fantastic songs, in particular the title track, in which they overcompensate with two bassists, and 19 drummers**.

4. Agalloch's Marrow of the Spirit, blending black metal, post-rock, and folk music far better than Taylor Swift has ever dreamed of in her decades-long career

5. Torche's Song for Singles, the band's 20 minute tribute to being stoned, drunk, and awesome. Sludge Pop has never tasted so good.

*Not saying Electric Wizard is bad. I love the E-Wiz. They just ain't gonna do Dopethrone again. C'mon.

**At least it sounds like 19 drummers, Danny Walker does WORK, son.

I understand saying Intronaut doesn't have a fantastic drummer, he does hold his own though. But saying to have to over come their bassist :freak:

You do realize he writes a good chunk of their music right?

• Members

I understand saying Intronaut doesn't have a fantastic drummer, he does hold his own though. But saying to have to over come their bassist
:freak:

You do realize he writes a good chunk of their music right?

Hahaha, I was joking completely. Danny Walker and Joe Lester are a couple of my favorites at their respective instruments. I think they're both phenomenal. Apologies for any confusion.

• Members

Interesting... I thought it was the weakest effort so far: too many songs, half of which were filler and the band just didn't seem to progress with this release. Wonderful Life is pretty awesome though.

Exactly this.

The first two were amazing, and although I like III, it's not up to snuff compared to the first one.

• Members

/thread. Valley of Smoke slays. Agalloch alllllllways delivers great tunes. Torche is one of my top favs. Kvelertak is great, anything that has art done by John Baizley is good in my book.

Off to go get Ritual Abuse now. goodbye!

Yeah, solid list for sure in regards to heavy music. What did you guys think of the new Dawnbringer and High Confession's album?

• Members

Yeah, solid list for sure in regards to heavy music. What did you guys think of the new Dawnbringer and High Confession's album?

Haven't heard either, but I hear nothing but good things about Dawnbringer's newest, and High Confessions looks awesome... Will check them out.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

No order, but here's a few you should check out.

You're Welcome - Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (his best solo album by farrrr)
Perch Patchwork - Maps and Atlases
This is Happening - LCD Soundsystem (BEST OF THE YEAR, one of the most concise and ambitious albums I've ever heard, no question)
A Leap Across a Chasm - Fennel (Great independent ambient album)
Earl - Earl Sweatshirt (Duh)
I Think In The Shower I Dream on my Bike - Dustin Cavazos (Great independent rap record from Texas)
Live at Electrical Audio - David Bazan (The man is a prophet)
Black Sands - Fennesz (Really imaginative ambient record)
The Suburbs - Arcade fire (Duh)

Archived