Boss RC-2 vs Digitech Jamman Solo

p00n

• Members

So I've been using a pair of Boss RC-2s for a while now, mainly for building textures and drones. The removable storage card function on the Solo would be really really handy for importing and exporting loops, and is enough for me to make the switch.

Anyone with any experience with the Solo; any reviews or caveats? People seem to be picking the RC-2 over the Solo any day, but the $10 price difference can't possibly be the dealbreaker.

Also, is the Solo physically bigger? My board is PACKED, so every millimeter matters.

• Members

So I've been using a pair of Boss RC-2s for a while now, mainly for building textures and drones. The removable storage card function on the Solo would be really really handy for importing and exporting loops, and is enough for me to make the switch.

Anyone with any experience with the Solo; any reviews or caveats? People seem to be picking the RC-2 over the Solo any day, but the $10 price difference can't possibly be the dealbreaker.

Also, is the Solo physically bigger? My board is PACKED, so every millimeter matters.

you said millimeter

America needs to go metric

• Members

More kudos to the Solo. I have one, and briefly considered the RC-2, but everything about the Solo is improved it seems. I have yet to use the SD card (you need to purchase separately) but it's very useful to have this option. Also, you can store 99 loops without the card, far more than the Boss. And you can record 10 minute loops on the Solo, a lot more than the RC-2 I believe. The basic drum tracks that come with the Boss might be better, but again, I believe you can download all sorts of stuff with the Digitech to improve on this, which you can't do with the Boss. It has a usb port directly into the pedal. Same size I believe, it is not their larger, more robust design that they use with the Hardwire series, which kind of surprised me frankly. I was concerned with the bypass on the Solo as the original Jamman I had seemed to cut off the high end a significant amount, but I don't hear that with the Solo. I think the RC-2 remains on a lot of boards because used they're cheaper, and they've been out quite a lot longer than the Solo, but the Solo is the current champ for small stomp box sized loopers imo.

• Members

One thing I saw recently on the Solo is that you can use the output for a headset as well. It will sound like sh*t without an amp sim (sansamp, bad monkey), but it's there....

JamMan Solo Manual

19. Output Jack

Connect this output to the input of a

guitar amplifier, channel of a mixer, or pair

of headphones

RC-2 Manual

4. OUTPUT Jack

Connect a guitar amp or monitor speaker here.

* The OUTPUT jack also doubles as a power switch.

Inserting a plug into the OUTPUT jack switches on the power; pull

out the plug to switch the power off. To avoid unnecessary depletion

of the battery, pull out the plug connected to the OUTPUT jack when

you

• Members

No volume drop. Do you mean to your overall sound? If so, then no I don't experience that. It has a level control for the loop too, so you can make it louder, or quieter. The other knob controls the ouput to the effects (drums/bass) so you can make your beat quite loud, or turn it off altogether. Nice.

• Members

It takes some practice, but seemless loops are possible.

Basically, you pick a blank setting, stomp on it once (light turns red) and you're recording. Hit it again, it's done recording, and begins the loop. Hit it again, turns orange, and your overdubbing on the loop. Stomp twice quiickly, the loop stops. Erasing the loop is awkward though. You need to have the loop stop, then you stomp quickly twice, then hold it down for 2 seconds, then it's erased. And you usually hear for a fraction of a second the loop you are about to erase. One way around that for live use, is to use the extra foot switch, and move up to the next blank bank, and start a new loop. Since there are so many banks this would be easy to do, and then go back later and erase them, or if you don't save the loop anyway, and just turn off the unit, they become erased.

• Members

It takes some practice, but seemless loops are possible.

Basically, you pick a blank setting, stomp on it once (light turns red) and you're recording. Hit it again, it's done recording, and begins the loop. Hit it again, turns orange, and your overdubbing on the loop. Stomp twice quiickly, the loop stops. Erasing the loop is awkward though. You need to have the loop stop, then you stomp quickly twice, then hold it down for 2 seconds, then it's erased. And you usually hear for a fraction of a second the loop you are about to erase. One way around that for live use, is to use the extra foot switch, and move up to the next blank bank, and start a new loop. Since there are so many banks this would be easy to do, and then go back later and erase them, or if you don't save the loop anyway, and just turn off the unit, they become erased.

ugh that's my pet peeve about the RC-2, that you can't erase a loop silently without an extra footswitch. hmmm it seem that there's an extra step on the Solo though, that you have to stomp twice before holding down to erase vs just holding down on the RC-2.

Archived