Pedal Collecting... What is the trendy attitude at HCFX?

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

Nice, leading wording on the poll choices...I probably would be classified as a "collector" but I try very hard not to be. I just like pedals and I like having alot around to play with. I do like rare things, but I try not to buy stuff just because it's rare and considered "desirable" by others. I guess you'd call me "judgemental", because I don't really think being a collector is very cool at all. I think it's kind of silly, to be honest. And it just needlessly drives up prices, making it hard for people who would actually use the equipment to acquire it.

• Members

i love hunting down a specific rare bird that i stumble into on youtube or something. it's more fun playing on a pedal with a lot of mojo that wasn't easy to obtain than an easily obtainable guitar center pedal, even if they sound similar.

i don't see the appeal to hoarding all the common OOP boss pedals (BF-2, old DS-1's etc) like so many people do but different strokes...

overall collecting gets a solid :thu::thu::thu: from me

• Members

I dont really collect, I get things drifting in and out and I dont really make a big fuss about most of them.

I know what I want eventually, but {censored}s pricey. Once I get em though, I'll be sure not to sell the majority of them. Not a big fan of rig overhauls.

• Members

i love pedals. but if i buy something and have no use for it, i'll trade it for something else. everything has to go toward making music or otherwise it has no use for me.

Yup. There's no point in having something if I'm not using it. The only reason I've got stuff lying around is because it's not worth enough to bother with shipping.

I guess if someone's openly a collector then I'm not too judgmental, but it's annoying as hell when it seems like the only reason for owning guitars/amps/pedals is to set them up for little photo shoots. I can only see the same bedspread so many times...

• Members

Yup. There's no point in having something if I'm not using it. The only reason I've got stuff lying around is because it's not worth enough to bother with shipping.

I guess if someone's openly a collector then I'm not too judgmental, but it's annoying as hell when it seems like the only reason for owning guitars/amps/pedals is to set them up for little photo shoots. I can only see the same bedspread so many times...

Bbreaker'd

• Members

So being "cool" is important? Just asking.

I said I didn't think it was very cool. That's a little different than saying "being cool is important". I was trying to say, in a nice way, that I think collecting stuff is dumb. I don't care what it is - comic books, old cars, stamps, whatever. If you're just buying something to simply have and don't plan on using it, then I think you're wasting time and money.

• Members
If you're just buying something to simply have and don't plan on using it, then I think you're wasting time and money.

And i agree, but that isnt one of the poll options :lol:

I either use all of my pedals, or i intend to use them more often. I dont concern myself with how often they are used, or if they get gigged with, or if they fit on my pedal board.

• Members

I probably would be classified as a "collector" but I try very hard not to be. I just like pedals and I like having alot around to play with.

Yeah, I don't consciously collect pedals or guitars, I just sort of accumulate them, particuarly dirt boxes. Mostly because It's not worth the effort to try to get rid of them. That, and I don't ebay anymore.

• Members

I've been collecting pedals for 37 years, a friend of mine went nuts and gave me all his pedals and hit the road to make it big in "LA" back when metal was king. If I got a good deal, I would take it, and I've gotten alot of good deals in all those years. Most are cheapish, some, Ah, not so much, but I have always used them, well all but one because I got it new for $69 and it sells on the market for $1000 plus and it never worked in a band situation. I play both guitar and bass so most of them are usefull in one manner or another. I have recently been thinking of selling them off though, I honestly don't know how many I have, get it? it's alot. I'm about to turn 44 and need to slim down guitars, basses and pedals I think. I've enjoyed this forum since it's inception so you guy's will get first dibs, but not on the $1000 pedal, that's pure profit, It's a great pedal but I don't even spend that much on a car. So I do use them but almost a lifetime of collecting them seems pointless to me now. I'll keep what I love and lose the rest, it's tough pedal love.

• Members

And i agree, but that isnt one of the poll options
:lol:

I either use all of my pedals, or i intend to use them more often. I dont concern myself with how often they are used, or if they get gigged with, or if they fit on my pedal board.

yeah, see we just have a different definition of a "collector". I think of it as the guy who buys the action figures but doesn't take them out of the box, because that would decrease the value. Or the guy who buys the whole line of this or that pedal maker, just to have a complete set, but doesn't really even need or want an octave pedal or whatever. If you buy alot of pedals to play with, it's a bit different.

• Members

Yeah, I definitely have a big box of pedals, but I swap them around and have fun with them. I used to sell more stuff if I felt like it didn't fill some unique need, but I've started getting sentimental about some things because they were given to me by someone important or they're hard to find or whatever, and as a result haven't sold anything in a while. But, I do use them all, with varying frequency. Many find their way into recordings, but many don't. I think I'm up to 45 or so. They're mostly boutique, though I have a tidy little Digitech collection that I quite like, one trick ponies for the most part but they tend not to suck as bad as their reputation would lead people to believe.

What would be the point of just HAVING something? That's very nearly superstitious, why keep it around if you don't intend to use it? I don't have a monster board to keep 45 pedals plugged in at once, but I love that when I feel like the sounds I'm getting are starting to feel stale, I can swap out a whole new setup and have a fresh sound. That's fun. I agree with csbo1 that if you bought them with your own money it's really your business what you do, though, and that includes paying $1200 for a gold KLON centaur with the horse on it to put under a display case, I guess.

• Members
yeah, see we just have a different definition of a "collector". I think of it as the guy who buys the action figures but doesn't take them out of the box, because that would decrease the value.

I suppose there is a place for that as well, though. If it weren't for those collectors, there wouldn't be any NOS, or preserved copies to be used for replicas, historical purposes, etc. I wish there had been more of these types of collectors with a lot of old silent films that have since been lost to celluloid deterioration.

And if I were a multi-millionaire who needed to diversify investments, I would invest in things I know or care about too.

But yeah, I'm not a millionaire, and I don't preserve my pedals in glass cases. I hook them up and use them when I have the time to enjoy them :thu:

Archived