OT: What do you listen to when you write a paper?

stjames

• Members

I gotta bust out a rough draft tonight, so I'm gonna need some music ideas. I usually can't really work with music on but if there is something that can stimulate my thoughts then I would love to know about it. Plus I kind of want a little distraction...

P.S. Ask me what I'm writing about. :poke:

• Members

When I was studying for my BA I tried listening to a lot of stuff. It didn't work - Music distracts me because I end up listening to it instead of working. However I did listen to all kinds of stuff in my breaks to chill out a bit, and I'd occasionally put some classical radio on or listen to some jazz tunes while revising. Has to be instrumental.

• Members

Hmmm. I could probably do something with that after a bit of thought but I'm not sure what I'd apply it to. What particular literature are you working with? I mean, if you're working with something somewhat dystopian then you could even use the text to back up the sort of, erm, "vibe" I get from that quote. If anything, at least you've got the freedom granted by interpretation, since that quote seems to be of the "It's what you make it" variety.

I should mention that I'm actually an assistant at my school's writing center, so my inclination to asking a bunch of questions about papers is kinda natural to me haha.

Yea the question is supposed to be very open ended, but they expect you to cover a lot of ground. I am not focusing on any certain type of lit because they would fault me for closing the doors on other analysis so I am just being very broad.

• Members

Enjoying TOK?

I wrote that paper last year, did it on visual arts. The most important thing to do is define what you mean by truth. This allows you to make your thesis/examples whatever you want.

What I did was compare artists who strive to show reality with those who don't.

In you case something like Dickens vs. Murakami. 19th Century realism, describing everything in great deal using metaphors (ie lies) to bring the reader to truth in terms of the picture it makes in their head vs. 20th century post modernism that seeks an emotional truth but leaves out whole swathes of plot etc.

Now you have to put random internet guy(s) in your bibliography
:cop:

Thanks for the insight. So far I have sort of discussed the concept of literature as art and the imitations of the definition of art. Next I was going to tackle the correspondence theory, coherence theory, and pragmatic theory and try to examine them in relation to literature and art. I feel like I can use that as a good base for defining truth. After I get all that out of the way I was going to focus on fiction vs non-fiction and just ride that to the end. This post really did help me sort of find a better direction so thank you.

And I am enjoying TOK. It's just hard to get into when everyone in my class sucks at thinking.

• Members

Thanks for the insight. So far I have sort of discussed the concept of literature as art and the imitations of the definition of art. Next I was going to tackle the correspondence theory, coherence theory, and pragmatic theory and try to examine them in relation to literature and art. I feel like I can use that as a good base for defining truth. After I get all that out of the way I was going to focus on fiction vs non-fiction and just ride that to the end. This post really did help me sort of find a better direction so thank you.

And I am enjoying TOK. It's just hard to get into when everyone in my class sucks at thinking.

Glad to help. That sounds like a good approach to me, just remember to stay focused, I think that's the hardest part with those papers. To that end, I'd suggest comparing a work of fiction and non fiction to each of those three theories right from the get go. Though you should provide a short 1-2 sentence long summary of each first. Otherwise you might wind up having a mini history of philosophy paper make up the bulk of your TOK paper. That being said I don't know your writing style at all so please take this as IMHO etc.

• Members

i cant listen to music when doing any type of reading or writing. it draws my attention from the writing/reading and the task ends up taking a very very long time. i wish i could. it would be a little more pleasant

Yea I ended up just working in silence. I got a lot more done.

Archived