Official Vox AC Thread!

• Members

Finally picking up my AC30 C2x from the amp tech tonight. I rrrrreally want to keep it, but my new little DRRI suits me so much better weight/power whise, and I can't afford to keep both. Goddamn 1st world problems:mad:

CSB/

Crap, you just reminded me that the DRRI exists. I love that amp.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love using my '60s tribute goldtop with my ac30. It's actually a surprisingly midrangey guitar so crank the amp up a bit and it hits it
just so
, I bloody love cranking the amp with that guitar.

I was very/pleasantly surprised with the 60's Studio Tribute. I was tired of the high output humbuckers I've been using for 20 years and decided to try some P90 action fully expecting to also have to buy some kind of OD/Distortion for my setup. I do not need it. I only use the Green Rhino for lead boost.

• Members

does it work with the ac15c1 to switch between the normal and top boost channel with an A/B switch? is the volume the same on both channels? i guess with the master volume working for both channels it would be impossible to set one channel for rhytm and the second for lead, right? and how clean are the cleans when playing live?

• Members

does it work with the ac15c1 to switch between the normal and top boost channel with an A/B switch? is the volume the same on both channels? i guess with the master volume working for both channels it would be impossible to set one channel for rhytm and the second for lead, right? and how clean are the cleans when playing live?

I can answer this for the AC30 which has the same preamp topology as far as I know. I use an A/B switch to go between a clean normal and overdriven top boost. It works as long as the master volume is right up, because then the amp compresses the two channels so they're at closer to the same level. At sensible lower volumes, the overdriven channel becomes much louder than the clean channel and it's pretty unuseable.

• Members

Normal= 10:30 - 11 o'clock (just at the point of a little crunch if you dig in, clean most of the time)

Top boost = 2:30-3 o'clock (distorted, no doubt about it.)

With the master volume at max, the actual volume difference between the two is about right for me.

• Members

One of the cool things about the CC2 is the variety of ways you can run the amp. For example, in one of my bands I run my AC30 like this:

vox.png

This setting gets me a huge clean and I run pedals for my distortions. Note how low the input gain is set and how high the Master is set. In another band I run it much like Cirrus does and use a CF Doomidrive to pummel the input for my distortion.

• Members

I found a used korg version AC50 here for a real good price, and I might get it if it's still there after work. As much as I've been thinking about the AC15s and AC30's I feel like I've never really been chasing the "classic" AC tones so much as a Vox voiced hard rock machine so this could be perfect for me.

• Members

I guess I'm good with like just a really nicely voiced british sounding amp, without agonizing how close it is to a JCM800 or a JMP. It seems like a good deal because it's underrated/misunderstood/underadvertised, just as long as you're not expecting "classic" vox tones.

I'm sure someone will scoop it up before I can get out of work, though. That has been happening to me like crazy lately.

• Members
damn, if i play with the master on max with those settings the rest of the guys would kill me
:D

I guess it just depends on the band. I'm the only guitarist, the drummer is hard hitting, and our singer has an aggressive tone to his voice. I find that those settings are pretty much right for keeping the whole band sounding balanced. It is loud, and it can be a problem in smaller venues or where the sound man wants total control, but I play with dynamics, often clean, often with single notes and space so it's not like a constant barrage of noise.

One thing I've found is that amp placement can have a big effect. If you make sure you're not pointed at anyone, and avoid sounds that are harsh/ overly trebly, then you can get up to quite a volume before it gets uncomfortable.

• Members

Buying a car/moving cities.

that's some sad {censored}.

My inner internet stalker juts pulled up your last rig setup from way back when. I will never sell my Ac30, to many memories. Even though its literally falling apart now

• Members

I'll take it!
:lol:

lol. i've invested way to much into mine to just sell it for how much it would fetch.

NOS tubes, different assortment. GE- rectifier.

Alnico blues - weber

and sweat and tears and blood and vomit and all of that other awesome {censored} from touring an amp.

• Members

lol. i've invested way to much into mine to just sell it for how much it would fetch.

Nice! I've got some combination of Brimar and RFT in mine, had tungsram EL84s for a bit but I can't afford to get a quad of those every time one bites the dust.

• Members

Nice! I've got some combination of Brimar and RFT in mine, had tungsram EL84s for a bit but I can't afford to get a quad of those every time one bites the dust.

where did you get you tube set?

That's extremely similar to whats been in mine.

also, i need to retube my ad30. Having some issues with the second channel. not sure yet, but i'm thinking about just doing a jj retube.

• Members

that's some sad {censored}.

My inner internet stalker juts pulled up your last rig setup from way back when. I will never sell my Ac30, to many memories. Even though its literally falling apart now

Its happened. Whaaaatever though man. I'll get a new amp, they're just amps. S'all good.

• Members
I guess I'm good with like just a really nicely voiced british sounding amp, without agonizing how close it is to a JCM800 or a JMP. It seems like a good deal because it's underrated/misunderstood/underadvertised, just as long as you're not expecting "classic" vox tones.

I'm sure someone will scoop it up before I can get out of work, though. That has been happening to me like crazy lately.

I went to go get the AC50 and someone bought it online while I was playing it so they kicked me off of it. I had even brought my current amp to work with me so I could trade it in :cry:

• Members

I have switched to p90 HB size pups .
I use the green Rhino also ,awesome slightly soiled into my J&Hyde distortion side,its total badass rock with sustain thats just right !
IMHO humbuckers sound good until you hear the mids breakup on p90 pickups,clean the p90s just sound naturally good with chimey tone ,then just spank a chord and notice the higher strings dont get smothered out ,p90 just get the sound i like best !
Some highend humbuckers may be better,but in general they overdrive to early and completely into mush for rythems for me.
The Fulltone gt-500 arrived,im going to try it now,on my rebel 30, later !

Archived