OT: Beta blockers

Operator

• Members

It's called rebound hypertension.

I believe that this is not applicable to the scenario of an occasional beta blocker and is not even a factor when taking up to 50 mg per day (25 mg twice a day); it applies to higher dosages taken regularly over a sustained period. I have 20,000 NSVT misfires per day and I have been told by all three that stopping 50 mg per day will have no noticeable adverse effects (other than the preexisting problems which will be exacerbated)....higher dosages need the weaning off.

And crytosonic.....I did ask my cardiologist, got a second opinion and had it later confirmed by the head of Cardiology at a major hospital. I did not want to take the pills at all and thoroughly checked out the drug before finally committing to even taking a single pill, let alone taking it daily.

I should lower my percentage though because of the increasing incidences of asthma suffers -- don't take beta blockers if you have asthma.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've seen people who take 25 mg once a day have rebound hypertension when they run out of meds. I'm talking about systolic pressures of 200 or more. I know that probably wouldn't be the same as someone taking it here and there but that can seriously mess with your circulatory system in the long term.

• Members

I say hold back - with experience from both sides.

I went from utterly unbearable stage-fright, to playing guitar, to leading a band, to playing solo sets and pretty known for my onstage presence. I get nervous beforehand from time to time sure, but I'd like to pass on a couple of things I've learnt along the way:

-Rehearsing is not rehearsing, gigging is rehearsing. Gig and gig and you'll grow, rehearse lots for the occasional gig and progress will be slower.

-Try and create a rehearsal setup as close to gigging. When I rehearse I stand, I wear the same boots I wear on stage, and I sing into a microphone (even if it's not plugged in). That position should be in your comfort zone.

-Learn while you rehearse - don't just go over and over, but be sure that you can play songs all the way through with your eyes closed, without thinking, because even if it's going great, when you're on stage you want to be focusing not on what you're playing, but on how yo're delivering it, and how you're communicating with the audience.

-The best thing you can learn is not how to play it all perfectly, buy how to deal with mistakes comfortably, however your style. If you can laugh off a mistake it won't translate to the crowd.

If you gig, and gig, and gig some more, many many gigs, and still get the problem, then yes beta blockers are an option. I know a full time session drummer who gets the shakes from time to time - he takes them and they help. But you won't learn anything, I say keep at it and overcome this. I've become a person on stage now that I wouldn't otherwise be off stage, so I can never quit music, and am forever glad that I pushed myself.

• Members

Yea I was just funnin man. I think it comes down to perception. For some reason circulatory drugs are to me scarier than benzodiazepines even though there is far more documentation that the minor tranqs can be more dangerous.

Besides benzos make me feel all low key and smiley, beta blockers just make my scalp feel funny.

EDIT: I am in no way giving anything resembling medical advice here.

• Members

I've seen people who take 25 mg once a day have rebound hypertension when they run out of meds. I'm talking about systolic pressures of 200 or more. I know that probably wouldn't be the same as someone taking it here and there but that can seriously mess with your circulatory system in the long term.

Were those people taking the drug to treat Hypertension to start with?? Either way, a person taking one pill occasionally will not have that reaction so it is rather irrelevant to the original post which you brought up rebound in response to taking a single pill.

• Members

Doesn't that post explain itself? I've picked up people who have taken it for the first time and it lowered their pressures to where they'd pass out when they tried to move and I've seen people take it and it not have a significant effect on their pressures until they've been on it for a few days. It's different for each person but regardless, beta blockers are meant to be taken long term and on a regular schedule. It's not healthy to take them PRN. That's my point, but hey what do I know?

• Members

I took Inderal when I first became a hairstylist about 15 years ago. I was having anxiety dealing with all those new clients. It worked great, it produced no noticeable effects other than a lack of anxiety.

I also used it for a few gigs. I had "retired" from performing for about 8 years and then started gigging again. I found I was buggin' out on stage a bit. It was weird because I went from being comfortable in front of 3000 people to freakin' out in front of 30. Once again the Inderal helped, no impairment what so ever. I just used it for a gig or two, then I was o.k. - back to my confident rockstar self.

• Members

I went from utterly unbearable stage-fright, to playing guitar, to leading a band, to playing solo sets and pretty known for my onstage presence. I get nervous beforehand from time to time sure, but I'd like to pass on a couple of things I've learnt along the way:

-Rehearsing is not rehearsing, gigging is rehearsing. Gig and gig and you'll grow, rehearse lots for the occasional gig and progress will be slower.

-Try and create a rehearsal setup as close to gigging. When I rehearse I stand, I wear the same boots I wear on stage, and I sing into a microphone (even if it's not plugged in). That position should be in your comfort zone.

-Learn while you rehearse - don't just go over and over, but be sure that you can play songs all the way through with your eyes closed, without thinking, because even if it's going great, when you're on stage you want to be focusing not on what you're playing, but on how yo're delivering it, and how you're communicating with the audience.

-The best thing you can learn is not how to play it all perfectly, buy how to deal with mistakes comfortably, however your style. If you can laugh off a mistake it won't translate to the crowd.

If you gig, and gig, and gig some more, many many gigs, and still get the problem, then yes beta blockers are an option. I know a full time session drummer who gets the shakes from time to time - he takes them and they help. But you won't learn anything, I say keep at it and overcome this. I've become a person on stage now that I wouldn't otherwise be off stage, so I can never quit music, and am forever glad that I pushed myself.

Loved this post :love:

• Members

BmoreTele is right (and several others on this thread) about propranolol. It's freakin' amazing. 20 years ago I had terrible stage anxiety (I just think it's fun now) and I'd take 10mg of propranolol an hour before the show and it was completely manageable. The stuff is MAGIC. It doesn't seem to do anything other than keep your heart from racing and butterflies from controlling your behavior. If you can find a doctor who will prescribe it and says it's safe, do it. Some docs will. Check out what they say on this site:

"In the treatment of anxiety, propranolol is usually not administered on a chronic basis but, rather, prior to stressful events such as public speaking or acting."

http://www.minddisorders.com/Ob-Ps/Propranolol.html

• Members

Thanks for posting this, man. It really helped me think about it from a different perspective.

• Members

Another thing that helps is if you are confident in your band. If your other members are performing well and you really like the music you are creating performing turns from being nervous to being excited to show off your awesome songs for a bunch of new people. IMO that's the most important thing.

• Members

I was on beta blockers for a while and found they didn't help all that much. I get serious anxiety or panic attacks, and tend to throw up in any demanding situation. Best cure for me was playing constantly infront of people.. to the point where I could actually enjoy showing off haha

• Members

Wow. I had no idea that so many of the people on this forum were so {censored}ed up. :freak:

Maybe some of you need to listen to the words of Yoda: "Do or do not, there is no try". Nearly anything in life can be accomplished with the power of the human mind. Weight loss, anxiety, depression, it's ALL in your head.

Get your mind strong and your body will follow. :thu:

• Members

I'll take my mental health advice from scientists rather than George Lucas if that's cool with you ;)

Call it "{censored}ed up" if you want, but the brain is a physical part of the body, and when certain patterns start in the brain they can be difficult to stop. Recursive mental phenomena aren't things you can universally "think through." Remember, the brain is the cornerstone element, the key "thinking" center in the body (but by no means the only part of the body that contributes to the gestalt phenomena that we refer to, grasping somewhat in the dark as of yet, as "consciousness" - consider how immediately who you are changes when your adrenal glands dump a huge load of adrenaline into your system - that's chemical changes mandating mental difference - and consider how different you would be if you went through military training and fought in a war - that's environmental differences mandating a mental difference).

So if you're suggesting somebody just think themselves better when they have an issue that's affecting the part of their body they think with, it's not that simple. If you sprain your ankle mildly, walk it off, you'll be fine. If you break your femur, don't walk it off, get treatment.

• Members

I'll take my mental health advice from scientists rather than George Lucas if that's cool with you
;)

Call it "{censored}ed up" if you want, but the brain is a physical part of the body, and when certain patterns start in the brain they can be difficult to stop. Recursive mental phenomena aren't things you can universally "think through." Remember, the brain is the cornerstone element, the key "thinking" center in the body (but by no means the only part of the body that contributes to the gestalt phenomena that we refer to, grasping somewhat in the dark as of yet, as "consciousness" - consider how immediately who you are changes when your adrenal glands dump a huge load of adrenaline into your system - that's chemical changes mandating mental difference - and consider how different you would be if you went through military training and fought in a war - that's environmental differences mandating a mental difference).

So if you're suggesting somebody just think themselves better when they have an issue that's affecting the part of their body they think with, it's not that simple. If you sprain your ankle mildly, walk it off, you'll be fine. If you break your femur, don't walk it off, get treatment.

Make fun of my quotes all you want, it changes nothing, not even the wisdom of the words. :facepalm:

Whether it's due to recuperation through drugs, mental exercise, therapy or just you conquering your own fears, your mind is the key. A weak mind is weak and will have issues. A strong mind is strong and will not. The brain may not be a muscle, but it has degrees of strength, and exercising it is just as possible as doing situps for your abs.

No one suggested to "think themselves better", but thanks for trying to put words in my mouth. I said "get your mind strong and your body will follow." That is a true statement. I should know, I've gone through a severe case of depression in my life and now I'm on cloud 9 because I got my mind strong again. It's part of why I don't give a {censored} what you people think about me.

Go ahead, try to deny the truth in that. :wave:

• Members

Do you feel that the mind is an extra entity apart from the body?

Do you smoke crack often? Where do you come up with {censored} like this? :confused:

Seriously, wtf would make you ask such a silly question? Where have I given you one iota of a hint that I meant anything like that??

• Members

Easy on the insults, there's a logical line of questioning that I'm progressing through to demonstrate that the way that you're talking about the mind indicates a certain misguided hypothesis about consciousness which requires an underlying commitment to a dualistic world-view. More simply, I'm seeing if you think that minds are made out of ghost stuff.

Archived