Good A/B/Y boxes.

TimmyT

• Members

the best I know of it the Radial Switchbone, I hear the Lehle is good as well. you want ones (as mentioned) with transformer isolated outputs to avoid ground loops. the regular AB/Y boxes are just glorified Y cables and kind of a waste of time imo.

This. The Radial Bones Twin-City is pared down version of the Switchbone. The Lehle Dual and Little Dual are great as well, but are a bit more expensive.

• Members
www.startouchpedals.com

Yep. Tony is the man. I've ordered two boxes from him.

Top-shelf build quality and components and his customer service is out of this world. Both times when I ordered online he called me at home to ask a few questions about my setup and needs to make sure I was getting exactly what I needed. He then followed up with calls later on to see what I thought of the gear. All on his time and his dime.

Without a doubt the best choice. :thu:

tonyresized.jpg

• Members

I use/used my WOBO ABY pretty much every day for the past year or so. Works perty gewd

EDIT: I guess some things I should say about this unit is it uses relays instead of mechanical switches... I believe it's buffered due to that.... It also has a ground loop switch.

Those Startouch's look really nice. Sounds like the guy is into what he does and his website kinda makes me feel that way too

• Members

As Reauchambeau said, there are problems with purely passive ABY boxes like the Startouch, This1smyne, and Loop-Master. Aside from ground loops, which can be avoided by other means, your amps might be out of phase from one another causing phase cancellation in certain spots of the room. And since the ABY is passive, when you are running in Y-mode you are splitting your guitar signal in half, loading down your pickups. This will be noticeable if you switch from both amps to a single amp.

• Members
OpenBox.jpg

ALL pedals come with point to point wiring. Attention to detail is of the utmost importance to us at Startouch. Wired using OFC, oxygen free copper, hi-performance 18ga. primary wire. Prepped to the perfect fit at every connection, to ensure the best possible signal flow. Connections are made using hi grade solder. Wire insulation ends have heat shrink moldings. All parts are of the highest quality, and durability.

Units are double grounded, with 100% shielding to, eliminate, minimize RF noise, and ground hum.

All units come with 9-volt battery hook up. 9-volt power for LED

• Members

Guys, thanks heaps for all your help. Those Startouch pedals look rad. I think I got some good suggestions, so I'll look into them all. I was looking at the Radial and Lehle pedals earlier and they seemed cool too.

Are any of you guys running/blending/switching between amps on your current rig? If so, what are you running?

• Members

i run two amps. usually both at once. it's two marshalls. one's an '81 jmp and the other is an '82 jcm 800, but they're both 2203's, essentially they're the same amp. one has 6550's and one has el34's.

i have used a whirlwind and a morely ab/y switch and they sucked. they have no provision for dealing with ground loop hum, which you will certainly encounter. and i experienced signal bleed with both of them, which sucks. i think it's really worth getting an active, buffered ab/y with a ground lift switch. the startouch looks like a decent product and a good company, but it is a passive switch. same with the loop-master. i'm sure these are better than a morely, but i would spend a bit more and get a really good one. the lehle and the switchbone's are really nice, but you don't have to spend that much.

• Members

As Reauchambeau said, there are problems with purely passive ABY boxes like the Startouch, This1smyne, and Loop-Master. Aside from ground loops, which can be avoided by other means, your amps might be out of phase from one another causing phase cancellation in certain spots of the room. And since the ABY is passive, when you are running in Y-mode you are splitting your guitar signal in half, loading down your pickups. This will be noticeable if you switch from both amps to a single amp.

This. There is a difference between the passive ones and something like the Lehle. This week I had delivered a ABY pedal made by a forumite on Musicradar. I've had one before, stupidly sold it, and ordered one direct to keep this time. It isn't passive, has a superb buffer, and is very quiet. The Startouch is quiet, slightly quirky in that it doesn't use the normal Boss 9v negative tip, and is very well built but you do get the problems mentioned thanks to its passive nature.

Archived