Small Clone mods...

companyman

• Members

I modded mine to have the depth pot and used the switch to do the vibrato mod. Although, that was 2 and a half years ago so I don't remember what I did, and some of the sites I used to go to are gone now.

there's some info on the mods you talk about in the build reports link at the bottom of this page:

http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=8

the EHX forums also have a lot of threads about modding their pedals.

• Members

I would buy a decent soldering iron - spend 5 or 10 more bucks on a weller from a hardware store than the radioshack crap - and practice desoldering on something you don't like, maybe modding a ds-1 or something? I learned the hard way that the older reissue EHX pedals in the big boxes have crappy PCB boards and the traces will lift extremely easily if you don't know what you're doing. You can just jumper the points on the board if the traces lift, but it's still a PITA.

• Members

I did some of the parts of this mod to mine. I don't like chorus, but liked the vibrato sound I got out of it after the mod.

I think the depth switch is just a fixed resistor on the switch. If you can find the resistor it goes to and remove it, you could probably just replace it with a potentiometer. I think that's what the mod did. It also made use of the dead depth switch by making it a vibrato/chorus switch. It really made the pedal quite versatile.

EDIT: Now that I re-read through the mod page, I saw he updated it. I did up until the optocoupler part. Sounded good to me. It wasn't TOO difficult, either. I modded a wah first, then this was my second mod.

• Members

Yup, it's easy to change the depth switch for a pot and you can use the old switch for the vibrato mod...

...I'm just about to go out to a party but I'll post the details here tomorrow or PM you, or something.

... if I forget PM me.:)

• Members

Would that work on the Small Stone too? I'm thinking of getting mine modded to fix the volume drop at some point when I have some cash, so I could get that added as well, I guess... I never use the colour switch, but that's mainly because it's so extreme. I might use it otherwise. It would spoil the one knob look though. :lol:

• Members

how different is the small clone really from a polychorus's chorus section? i have both, i've just never wanted to get a small clone sound out of my polychorus. i just can't shake the feeling that i don't need my small clone anymore since i've realized the potential of my poly chorus.

I would imagine the Polychorus would cover the Small Clones territory.....I had a Polychorus, sold it because it always had some clock whine in the sounds, really annoying, so I sold it. I have never noticed clock whine in the Small Clone's that I've heard.

Archived