Triton Le - Wigging Out...?!

GigMan

• Members

Last night I was playing a wedding gig and I heard my 6.5 year-old Korg Triton Le play "sour" notes - they were actually out of tune... as if it was an old analogue-style synth not a sterile digital-sample-based ROMpler... it was NOT my fingers - I know when I've made a "clam" or hit a real bad note (which I do on occasion)... this was the machine itself, playing sour, out-of-tune notes.

I thought - "WTF"?! :confused::mad:

Unfortunately, it was very noticeable - a lush string sound I use ("Strings of Silk" - Combi C065) on the beautiful ballad "At Last" (a wedding/banquet band mainstay, played at almost every gig of that type by almost every band) - so it stood out as really being sour...

Have any of you Triton Le owners ever experienced this? I know that some have commented that because of its chintzy build quality, the Le just kind of "wears out" after a while - wheresgrant3 had some weird issues w/his Le which prompted him to sell it and get an Extreme instead, I think... Grant? Bueller? :lol:

Anyway, I checked the damn thing tonite and it plays fine. Last night was the 3rd gig night in a row, so maybe the Le was just "tired"... :facepalm:;)

• Members

Bad power?

Bingo!!!!:thu:

Gary, I got your email.... and MF is on point with this. I had several issues with the LE... Memory issues, bad contacts... and yes, problems with power consumption, that were all alleviated with the Extreme. There was one room we used to play in.... it was an old building and I don't think the electric was brought up to code. Throughout the night I would battle between a weird detuning issue or sometimes some brittle distortion. All were solved with a quick reboot.... not easy to do mid-soing. I experienced the same exact problem and came to the same conclusion... weak power consumption caused all kinds of strange detuning, flakey OS and sound problems. I'm not sure if this is because the DC supply is external... but I've never had this problem with any of my synths since then.

These days all my synths and mixer are plugged into a Furman. .

• Members

Digitals don't go out of tune without being told to do so. My guess is something is self-editing. Don't know anything about Tritons but where are those knobs set? If any of them is worn it's going to be mucking up your sound by spewing spurious info.

Edit: Wg3 posted before me and probably has the correct answer.

• Members

Bingo!!!!
:thu:

Gary, I got your email.... and MF is on point with this. I had several issues with the LE... Memory issues, bad contacts... and yes, problems with power consumption, that were all alleviated with the Extreme. There was one room we used to play in.... it was an old building and I don't think the electric was brought up to code. Throughout the night I would battle between a weird detuning issue or sometimes some brittle distortion. All were solved with a quick reboot.... not easy to do mid-soing. I experienced the same exact problem and came to the same conclusion... weak power consumption caused all kinds of strange detuning, flakey OS and sound problems. I'm not sure if this is because the DC supply is external... but I've never had this problem with any of my synths since then.

These days all my synths and mixer are plugged into a Furman. .

Thx W3G... :thu: I also powered off & on in the middle of playing (while my other hand kept playing on my Roland FP2... still sounded "sour" - yet I tested it at home the next night and it was fine... weird.

I actually have a Furman in my PA rack and another that's currently not being used... I used to use it w/a rackmount mixer I was using for a while - the Samson PL1602 (which you'd said you were interested in buying at one point... :thu:) but now w/the weddin band I don't even need a submixer since we use the Hearback headphone distribution system - everything goes directly into the main mixer. So dragging a Furman in an empty rackmount case around w/me is not really something I want to get into.

I've heard the Le do other glitchy things and weird artifacts every once in a while as well - no rhyme or reason. I think it's just going to slowly die on me - I can't complain, the thing (Triton Le) only weighs about 18lbs. & yet has some real great sounds in it & I've gotten almost 7yrs. out of it. I'll keep it 'til it consitently wigs out on me (although I don't relish the extra stress it'll cause me at each upcoming wedding gig now, wondering if it'll go sour in the middle of some ballad where it's all me, exposed, naked to the world (just keys, as many ballads are in the intros... ha ha :lol:).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hay out there has any one thought of the easiest hypothesis? think about it. when electronic things exhibits strange behavior (all of a sudden) it's probably a BAD battery. I had a zoom and a dod processor flip out on me because the lithium batteries ran out before their time. and they did some very strange things until I changed the memory batteries. give it a try.

• Members

Yah the drummer in my wedding band said same thing - but I don't think so, it's a joystick that is spring-loaded and returns to the center detent.

Every pitchbending device is spring loaded, be it a joystick or wheel. But it is possible that the contacts are dirty. I had the same problem with my alesis qs8.2 which gave bad notes just after a year of use. I didn't send the device for repair because I use it mainly in the studio as a midi controller now. I monitored the sending data in Logic sequencer and sometimes it constantely sent pitch bend data.

Maybe a cleaning of the pitchbending mechanism could solve your problem if it persists.

• Members

My Triton Extreme had a pitch bend problem earlier this year. Had to get it fixed twice (first time they fixed it broke again after only 30 minutes of playing... ).

My Alesis Fusions pitch wheel often doesn't return to center position when playing leads with -12/+12 bend range. Quite horrible really, since all the notes are transposed somewhere between 1 and 0.5 notes (making it sound REALLY sour..)

Since this thread is quite old, you might have allready solved your problem. If not, it is worth checking if there really is nothing wrong with you joystick..

• Members

My Triton Extreme had a pitch bend problem earlier this year. Had to get it fixed twice (first time they fixed it broke again after only 30 minutes of playing... ).

My Alesis Fusions pitch wheel often doesn't return to center position when playing leads with -12/+12 bend range. Quite horrible really, since all the notes are transposed somewhere between 1 and 0.5 notes (making it sound REALLY sour..)

Since this thread is quite old, you might have allready solved your problem. If not, it is worth checking if there really is nothing wrong with you joystick..

Actually the problem didn't reappear after the one night it happened (at last week's gig) so I'm not going to fret over it unless it happens again (out of sight/sound, out of mind)... :lol:

• Members

If it happens again, try jiggling the bender. Also, when you have time, connect the LE up to a MIDI monitor (computer) and see if the pitch bender is sending the correct values.

The other suggestions are good ones too, but I would tend to lean toward the bender, especially if it persisted after a reboot.

If you're worried about it going sour during a song, program the pitch bend range to 0 in the patches that don't need it.

Archived