thinking of buying a fender mustang III amp

• Members

just learned about these and played one in the most unstellar environment of GC. but i was pretty surprised. it sounded very realistic to me, for the low to mid gain sounds. decent for high gain. on first glance, doesn't seem to do brutal that well.

from what i heard, it sounded much better than the vox vt stuff, and the line 6 spider stuff.

i've been down the modelling path before, and had an hd500, but ultimately those solutions never worked for me. i'm thinking the simplicity of a plug and play modelling amp that sounds decent might work better.

that said, all the youtube demo sound pretty awful, i think i'll try to play one again today to see what's up.

anyone have any experience?

• Members

The Mustang amp models sound good and have a very good feel to them. Light years ahead of the Vox modelling amps and personally I think the Mustang models are more guitarist ear friendly than software like Guitar Rig.

I've just returned my Mustang V head though as there was an issue (possibly two) with my amp. Read all of this:

http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=49789

• Members

so went to the store and messed around with the mustang III a bit more. then i plugged headphones into hear the cab modelling, and it was pretty nasty. i figured for what i really want this amp for: quick ideas and practicing, I could go for dumber and simpler.

tried the vox mini 3, then noticed that the mustang I was 99 dollars. bought the mustang I, bout to plug in

• Members

seriously... The price to feature ratio is amazing.

is getting into fuse with the mustang I, a 'must do?'

Not at all. It wouldn't even work on my girlfriend's computer :idk:. You only need to do that if you want to mess around with the effects and edit them more in depth, make presets, what have you.

• Members

seriously... The price to feature ratio is amazing.

is getting into fuse with the mustang I, a 'must do?'

YES!

By itself I just thought it was a cool little practice amp but when you hook it up to fuse it's basically a full fledged effects processor and amp modeling suite. There are many rack effects/pedal sims/cabs that you can't access at all from the amp knobs.

• Members

I have the III and really like it. I got it initially more for use with headphones, but I think it sounds stellar without phones. I use it in stereo with a Vox AC15, and its a great complement. I can set it for a Vox setting, and it comes very close to my AC15. But if I want a nice clean Fender tone, just a quick switch with the foot controller, and I have a Bassman or a Deluxe Reverb or a Champ etc. I haven't even used the FUse software yet, but want to soon. A lot of amp for the money, for sure. Glad I went this route instead of another tube amp.

• Members

hmm... i'm wondering if i should have just bought the III haha.

anyone have any experience with both the mustangs and the line 6 spider IV 75 watter?

I don't, but I think most who have heard both would find the Mustang a lot better. I will say that it needs some tweaking, because the metal sounds aren't the best, maybe the Line6 is better there. But for any of the Fender settings, they really sound authentic. The Vox and Marshall settings are also good. I think the closest competitor is the Vox Valvetronix amps, and they don't have the Fuse software that Fender has developed.

• Members

I think they are a great amp for noodling around at home but it would be my last choice for gigging.

Oh noes! It's solid state!!!

Seriously, why would it be the "last choice"? I've gigged with a hell of a lot worse amps than these.

I'm seriously tempted by the higher power versions because I've been using a Mustang I at home for a practice amp and hooked up to my computer for a bit of recording. It is fantastic!

Archived