Ampeg GVT?

JMR

• Members

i'm in the needs more watts camp as well. ampeg has made so many great amps over the years. unfortunately, they've made some big changes in the past decade and i just don't believe that they're build quality and component quality is what it used to be. they moved production overseas in 2006, i believe. i don't think this necessarily has to mean a dramatic drop in quality, but it almost always does. and in the case of ampeg i think that the quality of the amps has suffered in their pursuit to reduce production cost. however, their prices have remained pretty much the same. it gives me little hope for the new line of guitar amplifiers. i think the prices will be too high for what you're getting. the svt classics i've seen of recent years have been decent amps, although some have had problems out of the box, but they're just not as good as the ones they were producing even shortly before they moved production overseas. the old v4's certainly suffer some problems here and there, but they're getting near 40 years old at this point, but i think they're still good reliable amps. these new ones, while having the cool look of the old ampegs, just seem like they won't deliver in the same way. and i doubt a reissue of the v4 would do it either.

• Members

i'm in the needs more watts camp as well. ampeg has made so many great amps over the years. unfortunately, they've made some big changes in the past decade and i just don't believe that they're build quality and component quality is what it used to be. they moved production overseas in 2006, i believe. i don't think this necessarily has to mean a dramatic drop in quality, but it almost always does. and in the case of ampeg i think that the quality of the amps has suffered in their pursuit to reduce production cost. however, their prices have remained pretty much the same. it gives me little hope for the new line of guitar amplifiers.
i think the prices will be too high for what you're getting.
the svt classics i've seen of recent years have been decent amps, although some have had problems out of the box, but they're just not as good as the ones they were producing even shortly before they moved production overseas. the old v4's certainly suffer some problems here and there, but they're getting near 40 years old at this point, but i think they're still good reliable amps. these new ones, while having the cool look of the old ampegs, just seem like they won't deliver in the same way. and i doubt a reissue of the v4 would do it either.

In a nut shell.

• Members

I'll second the idea of getting a Catalinbread SFT - it really can nail those sounds.

Yeah, I've seen the demo's, I would LOVE one. I don't have $160 extra bones at the moment. Plus I need to invest in an Open G only guitar if I get one :thu:

Archived