humbucker sized P-90's in a strat???

mr benn

• Members

I have a Burstbucker 3 in the partscaster that I just built after Christmas. Tis teh secks. It is noisier than a normal humbucker but oh so crunchy. Good cleans as well. Really great for a Strat. I had a GFS Dream 90 in the neck of my Squier Tele Custom that sonded pretty good as well.

P1010674.JPG

• Members

I've got a GFS Dream 90 on bridge position of a partscaster. It's at the usual strat bridge angle because I used a normal pickguard and routed the hole out. Works well, but haven't played it much as I just put it together out of parts I had lying around recently and haven't played much electric.

• Members

If I did not have the strat SC's (neck and mid) already for my build shown above that is what I would have done. Hum in the bridge and P90 in the neck. It is good to have a HB somewhere. Life is to short for noise.

• Members

I have a Burstbucker 3 in the partscaster that I just built after Christmas. Tis teh secks. It is noisier than a normal humbucker but oh so crunchy. Good cleans as well. Really great for a Strat. I had a GFS Dream 90 in the neck of my Squier Tele Custom that sonded pretty good as well.

P1010674.JPG

man those burstbuckers are great pickups. are the polepieces offset due to it not being F-spaced? i really really love the look of a covered HB in the bridge position of a strat ala the new George Lynch ESP stratsimile. very rugged looking.

• Members

I have an HB sized P90 in my strat. I quite enjoy it and feel that it's a good match-up. Beefier than a regular strat bridge pickup, but a little more tone than a standard HB. Nice.
:thu:

DSCN0646.jpg

DSCN0645.jpg

Thats an interesting arrangement - how high output is that Tele pup? Does the Phat Cat overpower it?

• Members

man those burstbuckers are great pickups. are the polepieces offset due to it not being F-spaced? i really really love the look of a covered HB in the bridge position of a strat ala the new George Lynch ESP stratsimile. very rugged looking.

It's not bad. The E's are slightly out but no volume loss. You are right aboujt the BB's though. It has "the sound" that I have been seeking. I got a BB 2 and a 3 for $70. It is the first time that I have built a guitar around a pickup

• Members

Thats an interesting arrangement - how high output is that Tele pup? Does the Phat Cat overpower it?

Well it was an SD Phat Cat but now it's a GFS... {censored}. Mean or Pure 90, I can't remember. The tele pickup is the SD vintage for tele. It's definitely a lower output pickup. The P90 does have a lot more oomph, but it works out well.

When clean, you get the barky P90 ton in the bridge, a REALLY stratty, qucky tone in the middle, then a nice single coil snap in the neck switch position. Dirty, I don't really use the middle position, but if you've got the amp/OD pedal set so the P90 gives you a crunch tone, then the tele pickup will do a nice, lighter OD. It sounds almost like splitting a really nice HB, but retaining more bass than your average split bridge humbucker tone. I likes it.

• Members

It's not bad. The E's are slightly out but no volume loss. You are right aboujt the BB's though. It has "the sound" that I have been seeking. I got a BB 2 and a 3 for $70. It is the first time that I have built a guitar around a pickup

Gotta agree with you guys, I can't believe how good the Burstbucker Pros sound in my LP Studio VM. They're just the right mix of rock and clear... yeah, they have "the sound" :thu:

• Members

Not to highjack the OP's thread but do you BB fans find that they are slightly noisier and more susceptible to noise than a standard HB? I realize that they are not potted so I am sure that is why. The slight noise is a small tradeoff for that tone.

Archived