NGD! Thrift store Silvertone 1454 content(pic)

• Members

Pics! Does it have Flying Fingers pickups? Pretty sure mine was a '78. I sold it when money got too tight, but I kept the pickups for my frankenstrat.

I'll post pics when I get home, it still has the flying fingers in the neck I swapped the bridge for a duncan, but still have the original in a drawer.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to play one of those in a rockabilly band. It's a "Sears branded" Harmony H-78 IIRC, likely from the mid-'60s. The pickups left the factory microphonic, so don't worry about that. It's what helps give them their great tactile feel. The pickups are made by Rowe Industries, who made DeArmond single coils for Gretsch. There's much snotty, hard hitting twang to be had from those. Good score!

• Members

I'll post pics when I get home, it still has the flying fingers in the neck I swapped the bridge for a duncan, but still have the original in a drawer.

Dibs! Maybe I can trade you something for it?

• Members

I missed a guitar at a pawn shop when they had put it on hold and I showed up a day after. Pawn shops just can't be trusted to hold things. They speak one language: $$$

But, hey man, I don't blame you for grabbing it. Dude's fault for not snatching it up right away. HNGD, hope to find one of those myself one day! :thu:

• Members

Yeah I feel the same way about pawn shops which is why instead of calling and having them hold I just drove there. I figured if it wasn't there Ohh well if it was great for me. On top Of all this it was on consignment so she wanted money and the guy she was selling it for wanted money. She got more than the 5O so they both get more money I ha the cash so I did the talking. I felt guilty at first but the more I think it over the less I do

• Members

Cool. I was at a flea market in Taunton a few years ago and bought a 3 pickup Rocket for $65. These are out there.

Are you talking about the Raynham flea? It's right on 44, kind of on the town line. I've gotten some pretty decent scores from there.

• Members

Are you talking about the Raynham flea? It's right on 44, kind of on the town line. I've gotten some pretty decent scores from there.

I'm assuming he is talking about the one that used to be down the street also on 44 in Taunton. I still go to the Raynham one occasionally but there used to be one on 44 actually in Taunton that was located at I think the old Taunton expo center. It was much larger than the Raynham one and a bit grittier, but it had much cooler stuff. It's not a flea market anymore I think it's a government lot of some sort.

• Members

I'm assuming he is talking about the one that used to be down the street also on 44 in Taunton. I still go to the Raynham one occasionally but there used to be one on 44 actually in Taunton that was located at I think the old Taunton expo center. It was much larger than the Raynham one and a bit grittier, but it had much cooler stuff. It's not a flea market anymore I think it's a government lot of some sort.

Hahah really? The Raynham flea pretty dirty itself. I don't even want to know what that place looked like :lol:.

• Members

I used to play one of those in a rockabilly band. It's a "Sears branded" Harmony H-78 IIRC, likely from the mid-'60s. The pickups left the factory microphonic, so don't worry about that. It's what helps give them their great tactile feel. The pickups are made by Rowe Industries, who made DeArmond single coils for Gretsch. There's much snotty, hard hitting twang to be had from those. Good score!

Yes, it's an H-78, from the early '60's. It was replaced in 1968 with the 1485, which was the double cutaway version. I have a '64 just like this one. My parents bought it for me from a meighbor around '69, and I've held on to it. I also have the original black and white case. The pickups in mine aren't microphonic at all, though.

If you want to date it, pull one of the pickups. The manufacture date should be stamped on the back.

Archived